SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this great image from National Geographic:

It does a great job of highlighting this geo-political quirk & it's proximity to Vancouver, BC. The Vancouver suburb of Tsawwassen, where the ferry to Swarz Bay (Victoria) is located, is directly across the border.

Point Roberts, WA with Vancouver, BC in the distance:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Say, is there any chance the US may agree to turn it over to Canada, given all the increased border security, and the costs and hassles that come with it? It already depends on Canada for all its utilities, many emergency services and transportation to the mainland anyways.

If they want something in return, I suppose we can give them Quebec. :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Actually a lot of Canadians like point roberts so they can go get cheap(er) gas. I swear that place has more gas stations per capita than anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The U.S. agreement on the 49th parallel was a fair deal. It was either that or take more territory into present day canada.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
SJM said:
The U.S. agreement on the 49th parallel was a fair deal. It was either that or take more territory into present day canada.
You Americans sended thousands to present day Washington State and Oregon and everything south of present day B.C. to the Columbia River/Fort Vancouver would've been part of British Columbia if you didn't do this. Before that invasion, everybody knew the border between Britain and America would be drawn there.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few Vancouver Canucks have lived in Point Roberts for tax & U.S. citizenship/work reasons. All-Star Alexander Mogilny lived there when he played for the Canucks.

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
Thanks, but we'll keep Vancouver Is. & the Gulf Islands.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another angle of Point Roberts. You can see where the border is; the thick Vancouver suburbs abruptly end along a straight line. Washington State is in the background across Boundary Bay.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just a thought though. Is there anything to be gained by the Americans for holding onto that small piece of land? Are the tax base of the residents there and the fish revenue from its surrounding waters enough to offset the cost of border security there?

If they insist on keeping it, at least they should provide ferry service to and from the mainland there, so that border resources on both sides aren't so tied up needlessly.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nutterbug said:
Just a thought though. Is there anything to be gained by the Americans for holding onto that small piece of land? Are the tax base of the residents there and the fish revenue from its surrounding waters enough to offset the cost of border security there?
Cross that border some day. It is the smallest, most relaxing crossing around. The hordes of people buying gas in Point Roberts probably more than make up for the cost of the border crossing. There are 1,200 or so full time residents there, many importing income to the United States from Vancouver. The U.S. has it's own Vancouver, BC suburb that is as easy or easier to get to than other Vancouver suburbs such as Whiterock, Langley, & places east. Point Roberts is a great American asset.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sounder said:
Cross that border some day. It is the smallest, most relaxing crossing around. The hordes of people buying gas in Point Roberts probably more than make up for the cost of the border crossing. There are 1,200 or so full time residents there, many importing income to the United States from Vancouver. The U.S. has it's own Vancouver, BC suburb that is as easy or easier to get to than other Vancouver suburbs such as Whiterock, Langley, & places east. Point Roberts is a great American asset.
Sort of like Windsor, Ontario, but smaller?

Anyways, if that is their reason for keeping it, they should just make it a piece of US in officiality only, without a border crossing to Canada. Just make it freely accessible from Canada and like any other part of Canada, except for the fact that the residents have to pay taxes to the US government, and the US provides the government services to it. Can that be worked out?

·
Registered
695 Posts
That first pic posted is so cool.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nutterbug said:
Anyways, if that is their reason for keeping it,
The reason for keeping it is it is apart of the USA. It isn't that difficult to understand.

they should just make it a piece of US in officiality only, without a border crossing to Canada. Just make it freely accessible from Canada and like any other part of Canada, except for the fact that the residents have to pay taxes to the US government, and the US provides the government services to it. Can that be worked out?
Like I said above, cross that border crossing some time. It is the easiest around. It is not expensive or difficult to maintain the Pt. Roberts border.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sounder said:
The reason for keeping it is it is apart of the USA. It isn't that difficult to understand.

Like I said above, cross that border crossing some time. It is the easiest around. It is not expensive or difficult to maintain the Pt. Roberts border.
I have. I once got hassled, thoroughly questioned, was given a breathalyzer, and had my car thoroughly searched on my way back just like at any other border crossing. I've also seen long lineups there, and was denied entry because a passenger of mine didn't have the right ID.

Agricultural restrictions and soon-to-be passport requirements will apply there just as anywhere else, will they not?

Was your last trip there before or after 9/11, by the way?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts