SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came home from a three week long stay in Nepal and the Himalayas. When visiting Pokhara, the second largest city in Nepal i just could not resist noticing a number of mid-rise
buildings popping up on Lakeside! Most of the hotels on Lakeside have been increasing in height the last few years as tourism is booming nowadays and the latest ones are starting
to look really good! But the construction structure and construction methods seem to be so poor that the next big earthquake will certainly do some massive damage here if striking
at the worst time with the worst strength. Are there really no control of building standard, even in Lakeside of Pokhara?

[]The photos below are taken by me.[/I]

·
Registered
869 Posts
^^^^
Thanks for the thread and pictures. You have a good point regarding rampant and unsafe buildings popping up and the area is prone to earthquake. I think there is some sort of city ordinance regarding building height but looks like it is being ignored. Beside earthquake I am also worried about the giant sinkholes that could be forming underneath the the valley due to high precipitation. If run off water cannot be properly managed and channeled then Pokhara could be facing another challenge. There was a geological study done about the valley in 1979. I guess report was set aside and nothing was ever done. Now there are some places where sinkholes are starting to show up.

Anyway the good news is that there are some significant development that is about to take place.
First one is set and stoned couple of cable cars that are going to be constructed in around the valley
http://www.ekantipur.com/2015/04/15/business/2-new-cable-car-lines-to-be-built-in-pokhara/404108.html

2 new cable car lines to be built in Pokhara

OKHARA, APR 15 - Two new cable car lines are scheduled to be built in Pokhara . The government has given clearance to Annapurna Cable Car to develop a cable car system linking Sedibagar at the north of Phewa Lake with Sarangkot.
Annapurna Cable Car said that that it had completed all the preparations to construct the cable car line, adding that the foundation stone of the project would be laid this month.
Similarly, Manakamana Darshan is set to start the construction of a cable car from Basundhara Park at Lakeside to the World Peace Pagoda at Pumdibhumdi. It recently obtained the go-ahead from the government. The company and the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport signed an agreement on April 1 to build the project
Secondly the international airport that is under constructed.

http://touristnepal.com/pokhara-international-airport-construction-to-commence-from-mid-february-2015/
Pokhara International Airport Construction to Commence from Mid-February 2015

Following the commencement of the construction of Gautam Buddha International Airport in Bhairahawa, the government has started plans on the construction of the proposed international airport at Pokhara. The plan, according to Tourism Ministry is going smoothly and China EXIMA Bank, with which the loan agreement is about to be signed is positive about the project and the commencement could begin as soon as mid-February of 2015.

And finally trying to convert Ratna Mandir into national heritage site, a museum and a biodiversity park.
http://www.ekantipur.com/2015/04/20/national/call-for-turning-ratna-mandir-into-natl-heritage-site/404296.html

Call for turning Ratna Mandir into ‘nat’l heritage site’

POKHARA, APR 20 - The residents of Pokhara , a major tourism hub of the country, have demanded that Ratna Mandir be transformed into a ‘national heritage site’. They want the Mandir which is adjacent to the famous Phewa lake, to be open to public by setting up a museum and biodiversity park at the site.

If anybody has any development news and or updates please feel free to share.

·
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ good with a better airport there, though i took the bus from Kathmandu. I'd also strongly recommend a new or much upgraded airport in Kathmandu with a stronger road connection with Pokhara, but i guess money for it is hard to find.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So far news on damages and fatalities are coming from kathmandu only. The epicenter is close proximity to Pokhara so I bet there must be damages but don't know to what extent.

·
i've changed my mind
3,770 Posts
i left nepal friday, eeek... the tourist district where i stayed is apparently destroyed, sent the owner (who i got on well with) of the hotel an email to as if he was alright, no response yet. there's a few people i know who are still there, one has organised a flight to NZ tomorrow, but haven't heard from my other nurse friend, nothing on Facebook at least :(

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
^^^^ It is just unfortunate that the seismic wave happened to be directed towards heavily populated Kathmandu where the fatalities and destruction was severe.

·
Registered
869 Posts
China to provide one-third of loans without interest

This whole international airport saga is crawling along real slow.Finally some news on this topic.

Aug 29, 2015- China is willing to provide nearly one-third of the loans requested to finance the construction of the new Pokhara airport at zero interest, the Finance Ministry said.
The China Exim Bank has agreed to provide a soft loan of $215.96 million to the government to build the regional international airport at Chinnedanda. The proposed site lies 3 km to the east of the existing domestic airport.
http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2015-08-29/china-to-provide-one-third-of-loans-without-interest.html

·
SECULARISM
328 Posts
Surprisingly zero fatalities in Pokhara. How can that be? It is the same distance from epicenter to Kathmandu as it was to Pokhara. Where as Kathmandu's tremor was so deadly and Pokhara's was not.
I can't speak to the exact conditions in Nepal, but if it is similar to Pakistan and California, then features like rocky mountains will quickly diminish the power of the earthquake.

Valleys tend to be looser soil that transmits the intense waves more strongly and over longer distances. It looks like the Kathmandu valley is a giant bowl of looser soil, so it seems logical that it shook more violently.

Also what matters is the direction that the fault line travels. Seismic waves don't travel out from the epicenter uniformly like a big sphere. The energy of an earthquake tends to go farthest along the direction of the fault line itself, rather than out from it.

There's a good chance the fault line was aimed towards Kathmandu if thats where most of the damaging waves hit. There is also a good change that the soil in Kathmandu is quite loose compared to mountainous areas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pokhara airport ready for takeoff

After 40 years it looks like Pokhara’s new international airport is finally going ahead

SIRAN LIANG in POKHARA

One of the side-effects of the Indian blockade is that the government in Kathmandu is trying to diversify its transportation links to the outside world, which means that it is finally getting serious about pushing the new international airport in Pokhara.
http://www.nepalitimes.com/blogs/thebrief/2016/01/07/pokhara-airport-ready-for-takeoff/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts