SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Bingo ;)

It isnt too far from my place, but there is a lot of stuff in there. In fact whats bizarre is that theyre constructing a brand new MRT station in there, right in the middle of the forest! :eek:

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
If I'm not wrong...there still is a cemetery in there.

Heck the landscape is littered with black and white bungalows concealed in the forest. I wonder how the colonials travelled to the city in those early days.

·
Lurker
14,057 Posts
Bingo ;)

It isnt too far from my place, but there is a lot of stuff in there. In fact whats bizarre is that theyre constructing a brand new MRT station in there, right in the middle of the forest! :eek:
There's an old kampong mosque there as well, up on the hill.
The whole area is under threat of redevelopment. The houses there are HUGE, and surrounded by mature trees. Hope at least the houses get preserved. The trees are now, it's a nature heritage road. :(

Think I've read somewhere the whole Bukit Brown Cemetery and Mount Pleasant was to be redeveloped into a town. :eek:

RC, wanna shoot tell me too. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
ah the building beside the cantonment police stn. At first i thought it was a fire station. I did visit the place before it was boarded up (when cantonment stn just completed construction and started operation). I was there with my film camera, walked the outside of the building, before i could enter, a policeman came down from the station, told me im not allowed on the premises and no photography allowed.

It was for a school project, i told him, but he followed me as i walked around the building, not allowing me to enter or take a shot. I left disappointed. :p

Didn't know it was a school. Cool.

bout the onraet road, you guys manage to get past the security? Seems like a highly protected area right after the disused barracks building, after the cisco camp. Was turned away by the security there, saying no further access, they had those road spike system. Rumours i heard is that they have a gurkha training facility inside.

I checked the street directories, onraet road stretches across, the back entry is right next to the mt.pleasant cemetery entry point. They have cctvs there, so i didnt wanna risk meeting security people to shoo me off again.
:p

next i tried entering mt.pleasant cemetry from near some expressway, hopping over drains, lots of graves, and big graves on the hills. Trekked to the summit, i came to some fencing, it stretched all the way till a dead end of wild jungle, on the way down along the fence saw a gurkha guard, he was startled, me and a friend hurried down the fence and out of the place, we stumbled on the wrong area. haaa

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time I heard a cemetery has police gurkha guards, CCTV and groups of tombs that are fenced up. The only conclusion I can derive is that the tombs belong to the familee of someone very important in Singapore. :lol:
no lah...cctv, guards are seperate subjects from the cluster fenced tombs...hahaha. I wouldnt dwell too long near those fences, although along the fences are also tombs, sometimes with interesting markers. Too near their confidential facility, might get into trouble if linger too long. :p

The tombs are fenced up?
Correct and yah...besides the usual bukit brown, mt pleasant cemetery, over the other side of the hill are also tombs, the well kept ones are higher on the hill, and many forgotten ones covered by vegetation on lower ground. :)

Sorry off topic...lets get back to that building along neil road. Is it gonna be another museum?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Late reply... to those who still bother to read.. apologies

hi.. its 5+ years late. but anyways...
I was looking for an photo of my old school and chanced upon this posting.. I studied at fairfield from the girl school days (pri 1 to 3) in the early 80s and moved with them to fairfield primary at dover for the rest of my pri/sec school life..
The building used to be 1 of 4 blocks that was Fairfield Methodist Girls' school. when I was there it was the admin block where the teachers and principal had their offices (2nd floor). The nurses station, home economics room (3rd floor) was there as well. The 'basement' I remember was just 2? empty halls. During my years there it was never used and windows were kept shut. One I think was used as storage for PE equipment.. Actually, I don't really remember the windows facing the outside were ever open. It was airconditioned?? and quite dark even then. Yeah, I don't remember the windows being open at all...
I was also quite curious as to why the police kept that block. But to me and what I have experienced in my school life there, I previously guessed maybe that they kept it cos its quite a beautiful old building outside and inside as well. The last time I saw the inside was way way way back and I remember a very well polished hard wood staircase on the inside. Its very ornate wall cornices?... I was too young to remember anything else. And yes, there were the ghost stories. We were told then that during WW2, the school was used by the kempeitai.
Its beautiful on the inside, colonial style... Ghost stories we have a lot to tell too! for that building, the various stories would include hearing a screaming/crying baby and a (european) woman that would walk around.. the other 3 buildings have been torn down, so no point mentioning..
But amongst all of FMGS's buildings, that was the oldest and most well kept (even then), I remember the other 3 buildings were not very well maintained, windows were broken and cracks on the buildings to the point that they had to build a metal staircase for us to take the strain off the old ones... it was slippery in the rain and some of us always fell :p
Its a URA Heritage school, so if its a museum I hope it opens soon ... and also that they would remove those horrible boards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Google's streetview was done many years ago and hence the building would appear as it was for the last 30 years - disused.

Here's an article from the Home Team's website which highlights the new use of the building. There's a little bit of history of the building as well as some pictures of the inside. It's being restored to be used as the Home Team's new Careers Centre.

http://www.hometeam.sg/article.aspx?news_sid=201108246Htnv2ZmaAKa

I think it's a beautiful building and glad that it is not only being restored but finally inhabited rather than being left empty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OH!!! I am so backdated!! But I am so happy too!! But does this mean I need to send an application to sign up before I can take a look at the old building again? :p!!!

wow...

I wish them lots of luck, but yeah it was left boarded up for so long, sure there will be MORE stories! It would be fun to find out from the tenants....

THANKS for all the updates!!! I will look out and see when the restoration is completed, my mom (who was also an old girl) and I would probably beg the mattars for a small walk through the memories..

my mom keeps talking about her memories after I told her about this news... but those really were the days!!

Time flies :>!!

·
5,137 Posts
mochaholic said:
Google's streetview was done many years ago and hence the building would appear as it was for the last 30 years - disused.
Actually the google streetview images we have in Singapore are taken around 2010.

Anyway I'll keep a lookout the next time I pass by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hihi!

great news...

just got a reply from Home team..

"Dear Cynthia,
Thank you for your interest in the new Home Team Career Centre (HTCC) at Neil Road.
The premises will primarily operate as a recruitment front-office for the Home Team. Hence, when it is operational from May 2013, it will be accessible to members of public.

You are most welcome to come by and visit the newly restored premises when we are operational next year.

With regards,
Eulindra.

Eulindra Tang (Ms) • Head, Home Team Career Centre (HTCC) / 1 Dy Dir (Talent Attraction) • HRD/MHA HQ • Tel: 6478-7120 • Fax: 6354 0903"

:)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts