SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
My bad. I assumed you may have thought cities without tents, warlords, and graffiti were more attractive
It is better than cities filled with tear gas and riot police.

I saw yesterday FoxNews used doctored photos to try and make it look worse.

I’d prefer hanging out in downtown Seattle to my current reality of Arizona being the poster child for failing to contain coronavirus, despite our low density and it being constantly over 100 degrees.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I think some of the Fox News people don't get that this is temporary. Their viewership doesn't necessarily get nuances, and they obviously feed into that.
You have a consistent Pavlov dog response to any opposing view with “Fox News” . Have you ever watched Fox News or have you just have heard what others have said about Fox News?

·
Transit Photographer
3,205 Posts

·
Banned
365 Posts
So, if Fox viewers are against something you have to automatically take the opposite position? Doesn't this occupation contradict everything you are supposedly against? - borders, guns, favoring specific races over others etc. When is the expiration date if this is temporary? Those who are down for the "movement" will get a wake up call that the movement is not down with you. Look at who funds it. It is the 1% that so many of you despise.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I mean, if anyone was actually interested in what was going on in CHAZ they could always dm me. I am sure that it will disappoint their hope that it is a peaceful utopia as branded by mainstream news.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I mean, if anyone was actually interested in what was going on in CHAZ they could always dm me. I am sure that it will disappoint their hope that it is a peaceful utopia as branded by mainstream news.
My opinion, there is a lot of room in between being an embarrassment and being an utopia. I don’t doubt there are lots of calls of things happening there.

I’ve seen fewer national news coverage of Seattle compared to other cities. So if nothing else, it isn’t having flashy protestors vs police clips.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been there a few times, once when the cops were still there during the protests and twice since they left and it is super chill. It feels more like a block party than a protest. Though when I was there last night there was a speaker and a big crowds listening. There are lots of people offering food, water, etc. Businesses are open and serving customers, people were walking their dogs through, and lots of folks checking it out and taking pictures. While not sustainable over the long term, it's probably a lot safer than Capitol Hill on a typical Friday or Saturday night at closing time with a bunch of drunk bros wandering around getting in fights.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If we had a stricter shutdown like New Zealand, perhaps we'd have reopened by now like they have.

(Though they did get 2 new cases from people who flew in from the UK)
The UK and NZ, like Australia and most other countries around the world, have centralized governments with one head person or health minister that decides what they must do. The US has 50 governors sworn to their own constitutions that decide what is best for their populations. The US will never have anything as strict on the national level as any other country because that’s not how we are structured. The constitution enumerates the powers of the federal government.

·
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The UK and NZ, like Australia and most other countries around the world, have centralized governments with one head person or health minister that decides what they must do. The US has 50 governors sworn to their own constitutions that decide what is best for their populations. The US will never have anything as strict on the national level as any other country because that’s not how we are structured. The constitution enumerates the powers of the federal government.
Yes, the structure of the U.S. political system is great for a whole lot of things, but for dealing with a pandemic -- not so much.

That said, it's at least possible for a U.S. president, using the bully pulpit, to provide leadership, structure, and guidance during a pandemic. That is, to be a...what's the word I'm looking for...ah yes, to be a cheerleader, passionately and coherently advocating appropriate, rational, compassionate, and reality-based behavior during times of great crisis.

That's what a U.S. president could do.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts