Skyscraper City Forum banner

When will 1st Mariner be replaced?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's news has the Stadium Authority stating that the 1st Mariner Arena is outdated, worn out, and needs to be replaced, which is something that has been painfully obvious for, say, 30 years. So what do you think?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
So true. Someone will think the roof is an architectural masterpeice and will want to save it!!:nuts:
My bet is that the arena will be a rare exception. If we ever DO get another arena, I can't imagine anybody mourning the old one. I more charmless building is hard to imagine. If you hire the Loizeaux family (CDI) to blow it up, people will buy tickets.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will miss it (sort of) when it is gone, only because I spent so much time in the place as a teen. My first visit was when I was 12, and the paint was barely dry on the place. Naturaly, in my eyes (then) it was a magnificent place, and in my teens went to about 20-25 Clippers hockey games a year, and actually played hockey on the arena ice itself a couple of times when I played youth hockey.

But now, I will miss it in the same way I missed Memorial Stadium, but its time to move on.

·
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY
220 Posts
I think the plan might be to wait and see if Hale is going to build his small arena. That will then give the home teams here a place to play. Once that's established, they will then try to find a way to build an arena on the existing First Mariner site.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think BMore could support 2 arenas. His "small" arena would still have 10-12K seats...almost what is there now. We need one first rate facilty.

Hale should take the lead and build that first rate place. If he builds the smaller one, I don't think a larger one would get built for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts