SkyscraperCity banner

Would you choose to live in a house and land, or a medium density block of flats?

• I would choose to personally live in a house on a private block of land

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I would choose to personally live in a low rise, medium density block of flats

Votes: 21 52.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poll: Would You Choose Medium Density Or A 1/4 Acre Block?

I have read many comments over time about how Melbourne should be a place of medium density living. I have come to wonder if this is desired personally or if it's something other people should do, so I have started this poll to find out.

I hope that everyone who takes part will vote according to what they would rather have for themselves.

This is not intended to 'stir', but it's a straw poll to gain an understanding of what most people here actually want. Thank you.

Additional edit: I know that the title of this thread says 'Low' density when I should have typed 'Medium'.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
yeah, come to think of it, i change my vote from medium... to the non existant high rise vote!

ive always wanted to live in a skyscraper... having said that, im only 21... once i think about a family that might change!

·
flame on.
5,044 Posts
i have lived in a few scrapers, and am living in low rise now... but my next house, i want to be able to kick a footy and have a dog... probably cause im not that young anymore and the single skyscraper life wears off

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The reason I didn't include high rise was discussions and plans for development have generally been for medium density living in building of ten stories or less. Having said that I am happy if anyone wants to state verbally what their preference is, even though I can no longer add the possible choices into the poll itself. The purpose of this is find out what people want for themselves if they had the choice, rather than what is best for Melbourne as a whole.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Personally I'd like a really small house/unit with a medium garden/balcony. If you use the space smart enough then apartments are really low maintenance.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I live in a house with small yard for past 10 years, would love to move into a Freshwater place type of development sometime in the future, above the 40th floor :)

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Like a few have posted......Life is a journey where housing needs may change so there will always be people who want to live in an apartment/flat but at another time prefer a house with a yard, work, family and age can all change your perspectives over time. I'm at the stage where I like something in between.....a 2 bedroom Unit with a garage and small courtyard.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
The poll so far is going as I expected considering the type of member this forum has.

Spiffy, please duplicate this poll in the planning section of the Walking Melbourne forum. I'm curious to see the result compared to this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts