1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
656 Posts
The article says that some members of the Muslim community think polygamy should be officially recognised. You said you just read that article - well, you must not have read it very closely (if at all) if what you've just said is what you got out of it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As if we don´t have enough social problems now as a result of broken families.

Polygamy is not the way to go.

The Government, as written in the Constitution, can not make laws in relation to religion = so this should be an interesting debate.

Maybe they will object on some other grounds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Polygamy in Islam is greatly misunderstood by muslims themselves. With their skewed perceptions on the issue, what hope does everyone else have of understanding the religions stance on the issue.

In BRIEF: The conditions and stipulations attached to having more then one wife, as outlined in the quran, if followed correctly, are so stringents as to make it almost impossible in this day and age. There were very special circumstances under which polygamy was allowed. Over time 'cultural practices' have become intertwined with religious beliefs. But if you go back to the key teachings, removed of any of this cultural distortion, clearly Islam DOES NOT encourage polygamy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Polygamy is not "to be made legal in Australia". The prospect is just being discussed, that's all. Personally, while I wouldn't choose this for myself, I don't see the problem. If that's how people want to live, that's their business.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Why shouldn't be made legal?

The current marraige laws are still based on christian values. Discriminating against polygamist marriages is the same as discriminating against gay marraige.

If a woman willingly wants to enter a polygamist relationship then who are we to judge? Should we judge someone who wants to get into a gay relationship or a mix raced relationship?

I also believe by Islamic beliefs that only a man can have multiple wives but thats their beliefs so they should have the right to exercise them.

Personally I don't even want one wife so good luck to them.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Polygamy is fine - if their also willing to change laws so that same sex couples can also get married too.

They have to be willing to accept everyone. I accept Muslims & Mormans and their beliefs and I would want them to accept mine.

However,

I'm sure that some here would say that they have moved here and should conform to our way of living - similar to if we moved to a Muslim country and would have to conform to their laws etc. (Now I guess that is something Pauline Hanson would say).

J

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
But we don't want to be like them do we? If they want to be close minded, racist, prejudist thats their business.

Respect our laws and society is one thing but theres no need to conform.

We're talking about a minor change here not changing the laws of rape to Shariah Law or something.

·
Meh...
641 Posts
This thread title needs to be changed.

Polygamy as we know it in the west is backwards, and not common even in Muslim countires where it is allowed.

Note: the reasons behind polygamy tradionally (for non nobles etc) was so that widows could be looked after by their dead husbands families.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What i found most ridiculous/annoying when hearing this on the news this morning were the notion by Keysar Trad (our most celebrated dole bludger surely?) that polygamous marriages should be allowed between consenting adults whilst at the same time i can just imagine his views on gay marriage for consenting adults of the same sex. Grrrrr!

·
27,314 Posts
They were not even asking for polygamy to be legal, only to protect the women more in the relationships. There is a major difference. I personally don't have an opinion either way.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
There seems to be a difference between 'marriage' by law and 'marriage' of a different kind - i.e. the article talks about shieks who preside over polgamus marriage ceremonies but they aren't legal entities under current laws.

Perhaps there should be a different name but same concept and legal recognition, eg.:

marriage = man and a woman
new name 1 = civil union of a man and more than one woman or a woman and
new name 2 = civil union of same sex

Surely that keeps everyone happy other than those who have a chip on their shoulder because they can't get "married" to their boyfriend? Would a rose smell so sweet by any other name?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
marriage = man and a woman
new name 1 = civil union of a man and more than one woman or a woman and
new name 2 = civil union of same sex

Surely that keeps everyone happy other than those who have a chip on their shoulder because they can't get "married" to their boyfriend? Would a rose smell so sweet by any other name?
Actually, calling gay marriage a civil ceremony does not make me happy, not does it equate to full equality.:bash:

Countries which have already enacted this half-way stage of gay civil partnerships (such as UK etc) are ultimately gong the way of Norway last week and changing the law fromt hat to gay Marriage - as effectively thats what it is and to call it something different is a second-class status.

Remember marriage can be both a religious and civil ceremony too.

About bloody time i should be able to marry my partner of 9 yrs

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Actually, calling gay marriage a civil ceremony does not make me happy, not does it equate to full equality.:bash:

Countries which have already enacted this half-way stage of gay civil partnerships (such as UK etc) are ultimately gong the way of Norway last week and changing the law fromt hat to gay Marriage - as effectively thats what it is and to call it something different is a second-class status.

Remember marriage can be both a religious and civil ceremony too.

About bloody time i should be able to marry my partner of 9 yrs
You seem to have missed the point.

Marriage seems to have two facets - a legal (civil) union and a religious union.

If you are gay or polygamus you CANNOT get a religious union unless your religion allows it. The Government has no power to change this as it has no powers to interfere with religion.

The Government can, however, legislate to allow a civil union of whoever it wants - man and woman, man and man, man and goat etc. This we have control over.

This is why I suggested the different names - to get rid fo the confusion between religious ceremony and civil union.

As for this comment - "to call it something different is a second-class status" - that is ridiculous and only a matter of opinion. Even if gays could be "married" you could still say "gay marriage" as opposed to "straight marriage" which, following your logic, means you are second class.

You seem to have quite a chip on your shoulder.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What a fucken joke. Polygamy is a backward form of social arrangement that's almost always in favour of unfaithful and slutty men and should not have any legal recognition whatsoever in Australia.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts