SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 916 Posts

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
This thread is for all news about the Port, --it's Shipping/ Docks /Quaysides and Developments and the River Wear, I will start this with some good news, ---this article from the Sunderland Echo, -----

A £500,000 investment is set to provide a real lift to the Port of Sunderland.
Published on Wednesday 20 June 2012

Sunderland City Council Leader Paul Watson (2nd from left) and Sunderland City Council Cabinet Secretary Mel Spedding (right) pictured with Port of Sunderland Port Director Matthew Hunt (2nd from right) and Port of Sunderland Cargo Manager Keith Middleton (left) and the new £500,000 Liebherr crane which has started work at the Port of Sunderland.

Sunderland City Council has invested the cash in a Liebherr crane to help increase the amount of cargo the port can handle. The port has seen a 360-degree turn in business during the last 10 years. There had been concerns just a few years ago that the site may close due to a lack of business, however investment and a series of new contracts have helped transform its fortunes.

Council leader Coun Paul Watson is chairman of the Port Board. He said: “The new crane can go, quite literally, along any of the quaysides and working areas in the Port of Sunderland. It’s going to bring some significant benefits. Buying the crane represents a good investment in the port’s handling capacity.”

The Port of Sunderland is the UK’s second largest municipally-owned port.

Read More - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...000-crane-to-lift-sunderland-s-port-1-4659445

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some photos of a recent visit of Sunderlands adopted Warship HMS Ocean, --to the Port, ---

the first is courtesy of the Royal Navy, --

the second is courtesy of ITV News, --

third courtesy of the Royal Navy, --

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An excellent idea for a thread.

The "Tyne Shipping and Port of Tyne" thread, on the Newcastle Forum, has proved a very popular thread.
Thanks NH, ---I've been surprised that a thread like this has not been started before now, ---hopefully it will be a popular one, --cheers.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This photo is courtesy of the Sunderland Echo, ---taken last year, ---it shows a Barge carrying parts for a new crane for offshore Rigs on it's way down the River Wear from the Liebherr Sunderland works.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres an old photo courtesy of Walter Binns from around (1800s)---of Ships in South Docks

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A busy scene at the Docks from years ago, ---this photo is courtesy of the Sunderland Echo, ---

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An interesting story, --this from the Sunderland Echo, ---

On the Waterfront: Mystery voyage was claim to fame By Neil Mearns
Published on Wednesday 4 July 2012 15:12

THIS week, we recall the salvage steamer, Reclaimer, which was a familiar sight off Scotia Quay between the wars and look at her mysterious voyage from the Wear in 1931.

Built as the 360 tons luxury yacht, Argo, she was launched by Scott and Co of Greenock in 1885. At 141 feet long with compound steam engines also by Scott, she was constructed with an iron hull.

Registered at Liverpool, she became the yacht of millionaires and stage celebrities, including the music hall star and actress, Lillie Langtry.

By 1923, Lindsay, Swan, Hunter Ltd of Wear Engine Works, Scotia Quay, which operated the subsidiary Sunderland Salvage Company, had acquired the yacht for conversion into a salvage steamer, named Reclaimer.

Fully equipped with modern salvage plant, her inventory included three 12-inch, four-eight inch, four six-inch and two four-inch oil motor-driven “Wear” salvage pumps, together with air compressors, pneumatic tools, diving gear, heavy anchors, wires and purchases blocks.

Reclassified at 296 tons, Reclaimer became very busy around the UK coast and as far away as Portugal and Iceland, helping to salvage many stricken vessels. But, her great claim to fame was a mysterious voyage from the Wear in 1931.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/lifes...nt-mystery-voyage-was-claim-to-fame-1-4707504

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Photo of the old River Wear ferry, ----courtesy of the Sunderland Echo, ---think it ceased in the 50s, --but can anyone remember the more modern Ferry/River cruiser ---think it was in 80s/90s?--and I think it sank, --cheers.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^^

Found this photo of the other ferry, taken in 1956, --courtesy of Sunderland Antiquarians, --

·
Registered
478 Posts
Photo of the old River Wear ferry, ----courtesy of the Sunderland Echo, ---think it ceased in the 50s, --but can anyone remember the more modern Ferry/River cruiser ---think it was in 80s/90s?--and I think it sank, --cheers.
Yeah, the 'River Wear Ferry'. It was a Development Corporation funded thing, if I remember correctly, and it did sink, though I think that was a good excuse to stop something that wasn't making money anyway.

You could travel up to the Wildfowl Park on it - indeed, last time I was up there, the landing stage is still there, gathering moss.

Some pictures of the flyer here:

I do think you could make some money if you had a boat that did a shuttle between the Panns Landing halls of residence and the St Peters Campus at peak times (for students) then did a cruise up the river in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^

Thanks for the info, ---and I agree --I think a ferry would be viable, ---think a councilor mentioned this last year? cheers.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This from the Sunderland Echo, --

LIVE BLOG: The Queen visits Sunderland Photo credit: Stefan Wermuth/PA Wire

Published on Wednesday 18 July 2012 07:39

HER Majesty is beginning her tour of the North East in Sunderland this morning.

The Queen is visiting the Port of Sunderland where a Diamond Jubilee Exhibition featuring 60 years of memories has been organised in her honour.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This from the Sunderland Echo, ---

Sunderland hosts Royal Navy destroyer

Published on Wednesday 18 July 2012 09:01

THE Royal Navy’s fastest destroyer made a whistle-stop tour of Wearside.

Onlookers gathered on the Sunderland coast to catch a glimpse of HMS York, which can reach speeds of more than 34 knots, as it visited the city for “routine rest and recuperation” after a gruelling training exercise.

Paul Nicholson, senior helmsman with Sunderland RNLI, was among those who witnessed the spectacle on the River Wear on Saturday.

“I don’t think anybody was expecting the visit, but it was quite a sight,” he said.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/sunderland-hosts-royal-navy-destroyer-1-4749172

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Great idea for a thread, and at a time when the Port made its first yearly profit in some time (I believe). So much potential in the east of the city if the right investment goes in.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great idea for a thread, and at a time when the Port made its first yearly profit in some time (I believe). So much potential in the east of the city if the right investment goes in.
Thanks marra, --suprised a thread wasn't started about the Port/River before now, --btw, --good to have you back on the forum, --cheers.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,507 Posts
I've posted this both on here and on the Newcastle Forum as it crosses both.

The Baltic Ace, a Car Carrier is due into the Wear on 26th July 2012 after having taken on cars on the Tyne. The purpose of her visit to the Wear is to collect some 300 Nissan Juke cars from Corporation Quay.

This is a very rare occurrence and I cannot recall a Car Carrier having been in the Wear before.

Nissan ship their vehicles through the Tyne where they have a car terminal with a number of loading berths. So all of the required infrastructure is on the Tyne. Additionally it is quicker and easier to transport the finished car from the Washington Nissan site to the Tyne than to take them through Sunderland City Centre.

So it all seems very strange and if anyone has any information on this exercise it would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 916 Posts