SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Port of Tampa popular with cruise ship passengers
Sunday, September 2, 2007

TAMPA (BAY NEWS 9) -- Tampa is quickly becoming the busiest cruise ports in America.

Three cruise lines currently dock in Tampa; Carnival's Inspiration and Legend, Holland America's Veendam, and Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas.

Many of the vacationers either arriving from or departing for a vacation are not from Tampa.

"It's easy to get in, easy to get out," said Monique Hanna, of Delaware.

"It's nice, it's clean," said David Ryan of New Jersey."There's a lot to do around the area here as well. We're going to Busch Gardens today."

The thousands of cruisers who have come through the Bay area every weekend have pushed Tampa to the number seven spot among all ports in the nation.

Ellen Kennedy of Cruise World Travel Agency in Tampa isn't surprised so many bypass ports farther north for Tampa.

Three cruise lines currently dock in Tampa."Tampa has become such an international destination. We have the beaches here. We're close to Orlando. There's lots of things for people to do," Kennedy said. "It's got a little bit of everything. It's got an old town feel. It's very urban at the same time. And it's a mixed salad of different ethnicities."

The number one port in the country is Miami, with nearly two million passengers last year.

·
10,448 Posts
Port of Tampa Wooing Disney Cruise Ships

Tampa port wooing Disney cruise ships
By Steve Huettel, Times Staff Writer
Published Friday, March 21, 2008 7:36 PM

Port Canaveral scored big this week by landing two new Disney Cruise Line ships arriving in 2011 and 2012. So, why are folks at Tampa's port celebrating?

In a statement Friday, the Tampa Port Authority said the decision gives Disney the opportunity to consider relocating its Canaveral-based vessels, the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder. The agency "believes that the Port of Tampa, with its modern and efficient terminals, attractiveness as a vacation destination and proximity to Disney World, offers an exciting cruise home port option'' for the ships.

But the Mouse is officially noncommittal. "The two new ships give us flexibility with the fleet,'' said cruise line spokeswoman Christi Erwin. "But we don't know what will happen itinerarywise for any of the ships after 2009.''

[Last modified Friday, March 21, 2008 8:13 PM]

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/article427441.ece

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,148 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they base them somewhere else... Like maybe even overseas.

With that said, I would love to see them both ported here. I could see that easily spurring the development of another cruise terminal, and probably a hotel or two.

Problem is, doesn't the main shipping channel coming up the bay need a passing lane dredged ASAP?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
It would be great if they moved here, but I would not bet to heavy on it. Disney still needs an operation on the west coast to support those parks and gain that share of the market. The family market for short cruises to mexico or Alaska could take off if they were based in LA or another port over there.

Steve

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they base them somewhere else... Like maybe even overseas.

With that said, I would love to see them both ported here. I could see that easily spurring the development of another cruise terminal, and probably a hotel or two.

Problem is, doesn't the main shipping channel coming up the bay need a passing lane dredged ASAP?
Has there been any talk about doing so? Because we have 4 years between now and when the new ships arrive at Port Canaveral.

It sounds like a great idea to me. It would certainly help fuel more money into Tampa and certainly bring new development, as you said, most likely a new terminal and a hotel.

But, if they can, they will probably relocate to Miami. 2 reasons, 1) Closer to the Carribbean and 2) Shorter distance=less gas=less money-spending

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Except they try to book as many cruise/resort packages with the theme parks as possible, which makes Tampa more viable, or LA/Long Beach on the West coast. If you have ever driven from the Orlando area to the coast will see several of their coaches going from the parks to the terminal. I think that the most likely place would be Tampa, or the LA area because of their proximity to the Disney theme parks.

Steve

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Except they try to book as many cruise/resort packages with the theme parks as possible, which makes Tampa more viable, or LA/Long Beach on the West coast. If you have ever driven from the Orlando area to the coast will see several of their coaches going from the parks to the terminal. I think that the most likely place would be Tampa, or the LA area because of their proximity to the Disney theme parks.

Steve
True.

I wouldn't mind more cruise ships in Tampa. The city should really encourage it. Instead of taxes and such, bringing in stuff like this could bring in revenue into the city.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I remember hearing this as well. I thought we had wooed Disney a few years ago as well and lost out , perhaps due to this problem. I will have to look further into this.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Is there room to dock two cruise ships in the Ybor channel off channelside drive? Would other businesses need to be relocated. I wouldn't think they would dock on the industrial side of the port.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Port of Tampa News & Projects

This thread will be dedicated to news regarding the Port of Tampa.

Tampa port awarded $2.2 million federal stimulus grant to rebuild berth
By Steve Huetttel, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 06:20 PM

The Tampa Port Authority was awarded a $2.2-million grant from the federal economic stimulus package Tuesday to begin repairs on major petroleum product unloading berth.

The money will help replace a 550-foot steel bulkhead at Berth 230 in the Port of Tampa, where ships discharge much of the gasoline, fuel oil and jet fuel consumed in West and Central Florida.

The project is the first phase of a $30-million project to rebuild the berth and a pier used by barges and tankers.

The Economic Development Administration grant was announced by Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, who was briefed on the project by port director Richard Wainio during an Aug. 7 visit to the port.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...deral-stimulus-grant-to-rebuild-berth/1030909

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Bigger cruise ship, more sailings, could bring more tourists to Tampa in 2010
By Steve Huettel, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 01:33 PM

Royal Caribbean International will bring a newer ship to Tampa's port in fall 2010, and with it, thousands of additional tourists to the local area.

The 2,500-passenger Radiance of the Seas will begin launching four- and five-day cruises with port calls in Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico, in October 2010. The vessel will replace the slightly smaller Grandeur of the Seas, which has sailed seven-day Caribbean cruises from Tampa since 2005.

The Radiance will make 44 cruises during the 2010-11 winter season, compared with 28 by the 2,446-passenger Grandeur for its upcoming season, starting in December. The change could bring 40,000 or more additional cruise passengers to Tampa.

Tampa is home port to two Carnival Cruise Lines ships year-round and single vessels owned by Royal Caribbean and Holland America Line that sail during fall and spring. Some 382,000 people took cruises from the port in Tampa last year, up 4 percent from 2007.

Tampa is the seventh-largest cruise port in North America and No. 4 in Florida behind Miami, Port Canaveral and Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

Steve Huettel can be reached at [email protected] or (813) 226-3384

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-bring-more-tourists-to-tampa-in-2010/1031532

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No - the older generation of "leaders" - esp Ms. Iorio's friends, like Mr. Miller and Mr. Wainio - need to go.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^
Even if the people whom you see as "morons" were removed from the picture. There is no way in hell that the bridge will be rebuilt in the next 30 to 40 years. It simply won't happen. EVEN if the port was expanded to handle increased operations the bridge still limits how much can go in and out.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I don't know I mean this state bends over for big business if the corrupt government could make enough money from it then I could see it happening.

·
Registered
219 Posts
just because you deeper the channel does not mean lot of ships will come to tampa i bet most of the mega ships will be going to va,ny/nj

1 - 20 of 134 Posts