SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 1186 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have any of you heard anymore on some of the highway projects around the Portland area...

the I-5 bridge over the Columbia river

the burying of I-5 along the east bank

the westside bypass possiblity? even though they ended it, i read something about it when they were talking about extending the max line to forest grove..

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Alexan is a go.

Robert Hinnen is back at it in South Waterfront.

Trammell Crow Residential's senior managing director came to City Hall in August 2005 with a request. He wanted the City Council to waive property taxes for 10 years on a new 22-story apartment tower among the stalks of high-priced condo towers. In return, the city wanted some affordable apartments in Trammell Crow's building.

But the deal fell apart. The council, with Saltzman as the swing vote, decided the city gave up too much in lost property tax revenue for too little.

With the condo market drooping and apartments hot again, Hinnen says he doesn't need the city's help anymore. He plans to start construction in January on the Alexan. Hinnen declined to disclose rents. But he did say it will be a high-end apartment tower aimed at the ready renters who work at Oregon Health & Science University. In similar apartments, rents range from $1,200 to $2,240 for 800 square feet.

What a difference 16 months makes.
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/in...1051200.xml?oregonian?pddfr&coll=7&thispage=2

·
Registered
208 Posts
The I-5 bridge is in the process...I believe they are conducting some environmental tests on a proposed alignment. There is currently no funding solution proposed, and the design is probably a year or so away. I'd be surprised if construction started before 2010.

Just this past fall the Eastbank Tunnel option received some press in the Tribune. Nobody is seriously persuing this so I can't even guess a timeline.

TriMet has received requests to send the MAX out to Forest Grove, the city is even willing to fork over some of the costs, though they don't know how yet...possibly urban renewal? TriMet also has requests to expand the trains past MHCC in Gresham and into Troutdale. They will be starting the Clackamas County extension and the Transit Mall construction downtown in the next two weeks. Buses will be aligned up 3rd and 4th ave.

I've never heard of a westside bypass? Unless you were talking about beefing up the 217, and they are looking at tolls as a possibility with any expansion there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The I-5 bridge is in the process...I believe they are conducting some environmental tests on a proposed alignment. There is currently no funding solution proposed, and the design is probably a year or so away. I'd be surprised if construction started before 2010.

Just this past fall the Eastbank Tunnel option received some press in the Tribune. Nobody is seriously persuing this so I can't even guess a timeline.

TriMet has received requests to send the MAX out to Forest Grove, the city is even willing to fork over some of the costs, though they don't know how yet...possibly urban renewal? TriMet also has requests to expand the trains past MHCC in Gresham and into Troutdale. They will be starting the Clackamas County extension and the Transit Mall construction downtown in the next two weeks. Buses will be aligned up 3rd and 4th ave.

I've never heard of a westside bypass? Unless you were talking about beefing up the 217, and they are looking at tolls as a possibility with any expansion there.

hey Mark!

I saw an article in the Washington County weekly that comes in The Oregonian about the light rail to forest grove

there are alot of options that they are proposing diesel engines, a single track, dual tracks....

there was something in there about creating areas near the stations and along the line that would be kinda like a density pocket around the station that would allow people to use the train instead of driving by having them live and work near the station...

Max to troutdale?! that would be awesome

Ive been looking at lots of maps of the metro area trying to predict where the future lightrail lines will be, as well as future highways, bypasses bridges etc... and i was also looking at some of the freight lines that they have running around the area

there are ALOT of options for putting light rail in ALL over the metro area

we should have a pretty amazing system developed over the years! i cant wait for 20 - 30 years down the road!

the westside bypass was a highway that they wanted to pretty much mirror 205 in the sense that it would intersect with I-5 somewhere in South Metro...........and swing out to the west maybe as far as McMinnville but more likely somewhere in the Newberg/Sherwood area then north either through hillsboro (the possible routes were 185th, or Cornelius Pass...however development along both of these roads has made it pretty much impossible to come in and put in a freeway.) I read that they decided not to go that route because of cost issues...cost was estimated at over 1 billion dollars...

so they were talking about having it swing out somewhere between forest grove and Hillsboro............ive driven down tv highway and looked at the possible locations for such a project and the only logical location i could find that seemed like there was a undeveloped right of way would be out west passed the Winco and somewhere to the east of Cornelius.

it would then swing back up over the hill and onto Sauvies island then cross the Columbia and go up to the West side of vancouver and connect back to I-5

its a crazy idea

but it would make senese because the valley (where i live) is PACKED and is only getting more congested, and there are only two actual highways out here

217 which is a 2 lane disaster ( they need to do a MAJOR reconstruction of the whole highway and connectors ) but i doubt this will happen for years...and i read also that they are considering 3 options tolling was definately in there....but i dont think it will get approved anytime soon....

and highway 26 which...

other than that to get out of the valley you have to take surface roads which are jam packed and the top speed rarely goes about 35-45 and with all of the developments comming to the area were going to be stuck! hahaha

I also read in The Oregonian that MAJOR companies have been staying away from the valley and even Intel has decided not to go through with a new campus (this campus would be located on the property that they own to the north of the intersection of highway 26 and Cornelius Pass road and south of West Union rd...................) the reason that they have been staying away is because there isnt reliable connection to I-5, the movement of freight out of the valley is constantly clogged up and they dont have reliable delivery times................

anyways im at work =P gotta do something for awhile ill check back in a bit!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Portland's skyline will be improving quite a bit in the near future. There are a ton of condo project in and around town already under construction. The Benson Tower itself improved the skyline from the Vista Ridge tunnels. Several 325 towers are proposed including one in the Lloyd, and one right off the 405. It is also verrrry possible that Gerding-Edlen, or another developer, will build an up to 500' tower, or matching towers, on the block occupied by the Smart Park garage next to the Galleria, and there is another tower on Broadway rumored to be under consideration that would test the height limits.
mark have you heard anything about the tower on broadway since i posted those renderings a while back? it must be waiting for ladd tower to get started or completed

·
Registered
208 Posts
^I think they are holding off until the Ladd is out of the ground...at least I hope...it was a great design!

JoshYent said:
hey Mark!

I saw an article in the Washington County weekly that comes in The Oregonian about the light rail to forest grove

there are alot of options that they are proposing diesel engines, a single track, dual tracks....

there was something in there about creating areas near the stations and along the line that would be kinda like a density pocket around the station that would allow people to use the train instead of driving by having them live and work near the station...

Max to troutdale?! that would be awesome

Ive been looking at lots of maps of the metro area trying to predict where the future lightrail lines will be, as well as future highways, bypasses bridges etc... and i was also looking at some of the freight lines that they have running around the area

there are ALOT of options for putting light rail in ALL over the metro area

we should have a pretty amazing system developed over the years! i cant wait for 20 - 30 years down the road!

the westside bypass was a highway that they wanted to pretty much mirror 205 in the sense that it would intersect with I-5 somewhere in South Metro...........and swing out to the west maybe as far as McMinnville but more likely somewhere in the Newberg/Sherwood area then north either through hillsboro (the possible routes were 185th, or Cornelius Pass...however development along both of these roads has made it pretty much impossible to come in and put in a freeway.) I read that they decided not to go that route because of cost issues...cost was estimated at over 1 billion dollars...

so they were talking about having it swing out somewhere between forest grove and Hillsboro............ive driven down tv highway and looked at the possible locations for such a project and the only logical location i could find that seemed like there was a undeveloped right of way would be out west passed the Winco and somewhere to the east of Cornelius.

it would then swing back up over the hill and onto Sauvies island then cross the Columbia and go up to the West side of vancouver and connect back to I-5

its a crazy idea

but it would make senese because the valley (where i live) is PACKED and is only getting more congested, and there are only two actual highways out here

217 which is a 2 lane disaster ( they need to do a MAJOR reconstruction of the whole highway and connectors ) but i doubt this will happen for years...and i read also that they are considering 3 options tolling was definately in there....but i dont think it will get approved anytime soon....

and highway 26 which...

other than that to get out of the valley you have to take surface roads which are jam packed and the top speed rarely goes about 35-45 and with all of the developments comming to the area were going to be stuck! hahaha

I also read in The Oregonian that MAJOR companies have been staying away from the valley and even Intel has decided not to go through with a new campus (this campus would be located on the property that they own to the north of the intersection of highway 26 and Cornelius Pass road and south of West Union rd...................) the reason that they have been staying away is because there isnt reliable connection to I-5, the movement of freight out of the valley is constantly clogged up and they dont have reliable delivery times................

anyways im at work =P gotta do something for awhile ill check back in a bit!
I've always laughed at the light rail naysayers. It's not worth the money, nobody rides it, is soooo unsafe...bleh...

TriMet is building a system that doesn't always address today's needs, such as the Washington County line in '97, but will address the regional needs in the future. Currently MAX is underutilized. Trains still run, at the most frequent, every 5 to 10 minutes. At peak capacity, a train could pull up every three minutes or less, depending on the braking system. The Portland region has a few million more to grow before peak capacity is acheived, therefore the per rider cost numbers today are a bit skewed. When freeways were built, you don't build them to handle just capacity, you add in room for growth. In 20 years our rail system will be world-class.

I think TriMet and Metro need to encourage more Orenco type developments along MAX stops. There is a lot of land to fill in between Forest Grove and Hillsboro. A new line to FG could allow TriMet to team with developers and build some master planned, high density communities, around proposed stops. When I ride the westside MAX I am almost depressed that the traditional apartment complexes, the ones that actually have a campus instead of streets, retail, and a community feeling, have been so hastily constructed along almost every free inch of the line. It would be nice to have more destination neighborhoods, ala Hawthorne, in Washington County.

To be honest though, TriMet has learned alot about planning and building in the last decade. It will be interested to see how the Clackamas line turns out. They are doing preliminary studies to send the line out to Milwaukie, and I even heard a TriMet official whisper the possibility of a Barbur line that would eventually connect to the commuter rail in the Tigard area. The commuter rail will eventually connect Salem and Eugene to Portland, and much of the infrastructure is in place so that the streetcar can be built relatively cheaply to Lake O and West Linn connecting with SoWa and downtown.

And all that even without looking at the possibility of the Yellow Line connecting to Vancouver, looping around on SR 500 and connecting over at the 205 and down to the Parkrose Red Line.

I do remember reading something about the Westside Bypass awhile ago when they were considering where to sit the new Sauvie's bridge. There was talk that instead of a new I-5 bridge, they would build a new bridge connecting North Portland to West Downtown Vancouver, and also to the Westside bypass that would terminate near the St. John's Bridge.

I don't even see that as a possibility anymore. Washington County needs to improve 217. Plain and simple. A beefed up 217 connecting to a beefed up 26 connecting to an I-5 tunnel in Portland would improve freight flow. I always thought each freeway in Portland should have two committed lanes to local commuters, and a lane or two dedicated to freight movement. I haven't heard that Intel decided not to build their latest fab in Hillsboro because of the highway connections, but if that is the case, WashCo better make that their NUMBER 1 priority...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I even heard a TriMet official whisper the possibility of a Barbur line that would eventually connect to the commuter rail in the Tigard area.
this is planned ive seen the route :) on a map i found of the metro area and the planned lightrail lines, as well as future highways (there arent many ahhahaha) also future roads were listed, i will see if i can find it again, i found it on the ODOT website..

And all that even without looking at the possibility of the Yellow Line connecting to Vancouver, looping around on SR 500 and connecting over at the 205 and down to the Parkrose Red Line.
when they do that we are litterally going to be able to go ALL over metro without setting foot in a car :)

everyone is going to have access to most of the large business centers, as well as access to most of the major malls.....and then from there you can hop a bus from there!

I haven't heard that Intel decided not to build their latest fab in Hillsboro because of the highway connections, but if that is the case, WashCo better make that their NUMBER 1 priority...
I dont think that freeway connections was the entire issue with the new campus, but it was mentioned in the article

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still havent been able to find that document with the official maps from the ODOT site, i will keep looking

but in the mean time here is something i found

this isnt from a reliable source, but it kind of outlines the basic idea...

the information below was found at: http://cec.wustl.edu/~adj1/max/plans/plan2.htm

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS ISNT VERIFIED ITS JUST SHOWING the possibilities

:)

i will keep trying to find the stuff that i saw on the ODOT site

Description

Overview

With modifications, the MAX light rail system has room to expand to seven or more lines. What I propose is a system radiating out of downtown Portland, touching all points of the Portland-Vancouver Metro Area with trains operating through subway portals under downtown Portland. An outer ring line would enable riders from the southwest suburbs or Clark County a cross-town route which would not pass through downtown Portland or Vancouver. I also advocate an expanded Portland Streetcar system, Re-allocating local bus service for optimal ridership, and a far-reaching regional heavy rail commuter rail system to compliment my plan.

Downtown Portland Subway
The current MAX alignment through downtown and the Lloyd District would be placed into subway tunnels. In order to serve heavy ridership areas on the existing system, there would need to be a network of six interconnected tunnels. The current MAX tracks above would be transferred into an expanded Portland Streetcar system. Yamhill, Morrison, First, and Holladay Streets would be opened to mixed streetcar/auto traffic, or could be turned into an east-west Transit Mall.

East-West trains would run under Morrison or Yamhill Street, joining the Green Line at Pioneer Square. North-South lines would run in another tunnel below (or above) the east-west tunnel and also would stop at Pioneer Square.

After Pioneer Square, a loop would take red, green, silver, and blue line trains to the Waterfront, a necessary station because of the crowds that events in the park and the Saturday Market generate.

North-South lines would enter from a tunnel near RiverPlace, after exiting the planned Caruthers Bridge. The Green line would enter its own portal near Fourth Street. These tunnels would merge and continue north under Fifth or Sixth Avenues to Union Station.

At Union Station, the two tunnels would merge. A separate tunnel would branch toward the Northwest; taking the Silver Line under the Pearl District and exiting somewhere north of Vaughn Street.

The combined line tunnel continues east, under the Willamette, into the Rose Quarter. There a large station would serve both the Convention Center and Rose Garden. There would have to be several platforms and pocket tracks. Five lines would simultaneously use this station and the large crowds that events at the nearby venues generate justify the need for a large underground station. . The yellow/orange line tracks would branch off after the Rose Quarter station, exiting the subway in the Albina District.

Blue, Red and Green lines would continue on to the Lloyd District station before exiting to existing tracks on the Banfield Freeway.
MAX Line Descriptions

Blue (Sky) Line: I named the current east-west MAX line the "Sky" line for lack of a better name. Any better names would be appreciated! Basically the Blue line has few changes. Gateway TC would be reconfigured, Platforms would be lengthened for longer trains, redundant stations closed, and on-street running would be eliminated with grade separation. The Blue line could also be extended west to Forest Grove or east to Sandy and Estacada in the future.

Red (Beaver) Line: Named after Oregon's state animal and inhabitants of some creeks near the MAX line in Beaverton. The Red line route would be extended from Beaverton TC to Tualatin via Tigard. Currently, a commuter rail line is planned for this leg of the red line route. However, commuter rail may possibly operate in only one direction and during rush hours. A MAX line would offer more stops with frequent bi-directional service, complimenting commuter rail service. The south end of the red line could be extended south to Wilsonville, however it is not in TriMet's service area. Beaverton Transit Center would be reconfigured, grade-separating it, adding a commuter rail station, and spur tracks for the Red line. There would also have to be a major reconfiguration of the Gateway Transit Center, eliminating the single-tracked loop bridge there, but still allowing transfers to other lines. Due to its sharp turn, the loop bridge slows trains to 15 MPH. The improved Red line would be a "one seat ride" connection between the south suburbs, downtown, and the airport

Yellow (Willamette) Line: Named for the river it follows for most of its route, the yellow line would start in Orchards, a Vancouver suburb east of I-205. It would follow SR 500 and I-5 into downtown Vancouver. A new bridge across the Columbia (or the Interstate Bridges that it would replace) would take trains across the Columbia into Oregon. The Yellow Line would follow Interstate MAX line route, possibly as an elevated line through North Portland. At Albina it enters the downtown subway network. After downtown, the Yellow Line would follow the South Corridor Plan: Across the Willamette over the proposed Carruthers Street LRT Bridge and paralleling the Union Pacific Railroad tracks (ex-Southern Pacific mainline and Tillamook Branch) into Milwaukie. From Milwaukie the Yellow line would use either McLaughlin Blvd or Oatfiled Road to reach Gladstone, hopefully as an elevated line. At Gladstone, trains would cross the Clackamas River on a modified old trolley Bridge, passing into Oregon City behind the Oregon City Shopping Center. From there, MAX would use Main Street, then run parallel to the UP tracks to terminate at the Oregon City elevator. Canby could end up as a terminus should they decide they would want light rail.

Green (Pioneer) Line: So named due to the history of Oregon City as the End of the Oregon Trail. This line is akin to a "Northern loop", connecting King City, Tigard, Portland, Clackamas, and Oregon City. Ridership figures would probably reveal that this line functions as two halves. >From King City, the line could be extended southwest to Sherwood. Through a line down Barbur Blvd., Tigard would be directly connected to Portland. Tigard would also become a hub as the red line and Commuter Rail would also serve its transit center. Effectively, the Green line would replace the high-ridership #12 bus. In the southern portion, trains would run almost entirely down I-205 and, aside from station improvements, follows the Metro South Corridor Plan's I-205 alignment between Gateway TC and Clackamas Town Center Mall. From there, trains would return to I-205 until Gladstone, where it would meet the Yellow Line and cross the Clackamas River. The two lines would share a transfer station where the green line would branch to terminate at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center at Abernethy Green. It could continue to the Oregon City Bypass (Hwy 213) and terminate at Clackamas Community College. a bulk of the trips in the southern portion would be between Oregon City and Clackamas/Gateway. This also gives the South Metro/Tigard riders a connection to the airport, although through a transfer to the Red Line.

Orange (Columbia) line: A branch off the Yellow Line, the Orange line is named for the river that it crosses. The line would run down Powell Blvd. and Foster Road as an elevated line in the southeast, branching off the yellow line in the Brooklyn neighborhood. In Vancouver, the line would continue up I-5, terminating at a new Transit Center at Salmon Creek. The Orange line would be a great connection for southeast Portlanders, as well as those living in the northern outskirts of Vancouver. In the future, the line would extended to Damascus via Happy Valley.

Purple (Cascades) line: This line is named after the mountains within view of the route. The Purple line is a half-ring route, serving the east and south of the metro area. The line would begin in the north at Salmon Creek in Clark County and follows I-205 south to connect to the existing Red Line tracks north of Parkrose/Sumner TC. At a re-configured Gateway TC, the Purple line continues south sharing tracks with the Green Line until Clackams Town Center. A spur at Clackamas takes trains onto an alignment suggested for North-South Light Rail in the 1990's, but as an elevated and separated grade line. It would follow the Milwaukie Expressway, meeting the yellow line at Lake Road. >From there, it would parallel a little-used rail spur and bridge across the Willamette River to Lake Oswego, where it would connect to the southern end of the Portland Streetcar. After passing through Lake Oswego, the purple line passes through Cook Junction on an elevated structure above the existing Portland and Western rairoad tracks. At Durham, it passes over I-5 and meets the Red line, sharing tracks to the Red Line terminus.

Silver (Lewis & Clark) line: Starting at St. Johns, this line originates near the explorers' trail, as well as passing near Guilds Lake-the grounds of the 1906 World's Fair which honored them. There is a need for a quick trip from St. Johns, NW Portland, and Linnton to other parts of the area. The northern section of the silver line would accomplish this. Also on the westside, an opportunity to easily serve the Hillsboro Stadium and Tanasborne neighborhood exists along Cornelius Pass Road. Starting in the north, the Silver line would begin in Cathedral Park in St. Johns. It would follow a UP freight spur to the BNSF Bridge over the Willamette (also known as the Kittridge Bridge), where it would cross on a parallel structure into Linnton. The line would turn south following the BNSF tracks and Hwy 30 to NW Portland, serving industrial sites along the way. The line would go underground, into the Portland Subway somewhere around Vaughn Street. Tunnel stations would serve two of Portland's most trendiest neighborhoods, "True" Northwest Portland and the Pearl District, before joining the tangle of lines at Union Station. The Silver Line would continue west branching off the current blue line between Quatama and Orenco stations. It would continue north paralleling Cornelius Pass Road on abandoned Portland and Western Railroad right-of-way (now held by ODOT), crossing Hwy 26, and terminating at a large park and ride station. This arrangement may provide some relief to the Park-and-Ride garage at Sunset TC.

Portland Streetcar

Instead of an inner ring line around downtown Portland, the Portland Streetcar can act as a circulator and feeder line into the expanded MAX system. Currently, Streetcar plans focus on completing the existing system to a terminus in the North Macadam District or Lake Oswego. This would work well, providing a westside connection between all the MAX lines between Lake Oswego and Northwest Portland. An east-west loop line is currently under proposal to connect Union Station, The Rose Quarter, Lloyd Center, and Eastside into the system using the Broadway Bridge and proposed MAX Caruthers Bridge or the Hawthorne Bridge.

In this plan, the existing surface MAX alignment downtown would become part of a central city loop line from Goose Hollow to the Lloyd Center. At Lloyd Center, the tracks would turn south to serve the eastside to OMSI, using the Caruthers Bridge to return to downtown, and continuing up Fifth and Sixth Streets to Union Station, crossing over itself at Morrison and Yamhill Streets.

Four lines would branch off the Central loop to serve the eastside in a east-west direction, and there could be two lines to north and northeast Portland.

MLK north: The first would break off of the existing streetcar system at Lovejoy Street to travel across the Broadway Bridge; linking the system to the Irvington neighborhood and continuing north to serve the redeveloping MLk Blvd. corridor of Northeast Portland, terminating on Jantzen Beach.

Hollywood/Sandy/(Parkrose): Another line would travel over the Burnside Bridge and out to at least the Hollywood District via Sandy Blvd. It possibly could have a terminus at Parkrose/Sumner Transit Center.

Belmont: The third line would use the Yamhill/Morrison tracks to connect to the Morrison Bridge serving the eastside Belmont neighborhood on SE Belmont and SE Morrison.

Hawthorne/Mt. Tabor: This line would branch off fifth and sixth and use the Hawthorne Bridge to serve the Hawthorne District and Mt. Tabor neighborhoods.

St. Johns/Kenton/MLK/downtown: Using the MLK tracks, this line would branch off at NE Lombard Street, following it west to St. Johns. At N Interstate in Kenton, riders would be able to connect to the MAX Willamette (Yellow) and Columbia (orange) lines. At St. Johns, the Streetcar would terminate in Cathedral Park at the Lewis and Clark (Silver) MAX line terminus.

Commuter Rail

In this plan, commuter rail would serve all points of the region, connecting riders to Portland's transit system. Currently a commuter rail system is proposed to run between Beaverton and Wilsonville, with the possibility of a terminus in Salem. This is incorporated into the plan, complimenting MAX, Streetcar, Amtrak, Greyhound, and local Bus systems. Union Station, Vancouver's Amtrak depot, and transit centers would be a logical hubs for this system. The systems would run during rush hours and in both directions offering longer distances, higher passenger capacities, and fewer stops than MAX. The tracks all ready exist for these lines; only stations, agreements with track owners, and signaling improvements need to be made.

Some routes to be considered are:

Forest Grove-Salem via Hillsboro, Beaverton TC, and Wilsonville
Forest Grove-Portland via Beaverton TC, Tualatin, Lake Oswego and Milwaukie
Portland-McMinnville via Milwaukie and Lake Oswego
Portland-Salem via Westside Commuter Rail and Portland-McMinnville Route
Portland-Canby via Oregon City, Milwaukie and Clackamas
Portland-Troutdale or lower Columbia Gorge via UP Mainline along I-84
Portland-St. Helens via Scappoose on BNSF/Portland & Western tracks (not shown on map)
Portland-Kelso via Vancouver and BNSF tracks (not shown on map)
Vancouver-Washougal via Camas (not shown on map)
Bus Service Improvements

TriMet, C-Tran, SMART, Cherriots and other bus transit systems could re-align and re-allocate bus service hours to attract better ridership and feed the rapid transit system. For example, MAX lines would take pressure off of C-Tran's financial problems by not having to provide express buses into downtown Portland. TriMet could better serve central city neighborhoods as well as outside areas if it didn't have to put more buses on the current heavy ridership lines that would be turned into rail lines. All that would be needed is to add another car to a commuter rail or MAX train. No extra labor costs and less train congestion thanks to the downtown Subway and grade separation. Buses could serve more of the metro area than they currently do under this plan. This would eliminate complaints by areas on the outer edges of TriMet's service district which pay taxes for TriMet, but receive little or no service (sometimes prompting these areas to drop out of the TriMet service area, such as Canby did in 1999). Bus Rapid Transit could further bolster ridership if higher capacity is needed on non-rail routes.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Federal funding is assured, so long as a source(s) for matching funds can be found. since TriMet has a good reputation in Washington, DC for good management and completing projects on time and under budget. Also Oregon's Senate and House delegations from both parties strongly support Portland mass transit projects.
2-car limit on MAX eliminated, allows for higher capacity, lower operating and labor costs for MAX operations
Grade separation on MAX system allows for faster service across the system
Logical hubs for connecting to other forms and systems of transit including airlines, Amtrak, and Greyhound
Serves entire metro area, easily expandable in the future
Operations cost savings greater than short term initial investment
Commuter rail adds capacity to MAX system during rush hours and serves farther out
Streetcar system compliments MAX system and eliminates need for more expensive MAX inner loop
Streetcar continues legacy of surface rail in downtown Portland and operates in mixed traffic
Improved, well-used, and expanded bus service across the region
Meets needs for future growth of the region.
Entire Commuter Rail system can be built inexpensively
Streetcars offer long-term commitment to frequent service surface transit, free up buses on higher ridership routes.
New I-5 bridge over the Columbia proposed in I-5 Partnership Plan may include space for light rail, or can run over Interstate Bridge when new bridge is built.
I-205 Glen Jackson Bridge over the Columbia may be able to carry light rail with a few modifications. Some reports say the bridge was designed to carry trains one day.
Plan provides many choices and means to get from one corner of the Portland-Vancouver Metro Area quickly and with few transfers.
Cons:

Subway construction under downtown extremely expensive
Local
Requires massive rebuilding of MAX platforms and elimination of redundant stations added specifically for transit-oriented developments.
Would take decades to completely build out system
May require public votes for expensive projects funded by a tax increase
Commuter Rail system use of existing tracks dependent upon agreements with Union Pacific, Burlington Northern/Santa Fe, and Portland & Western Railroads. Negotiations for joint-use of tracks may be lengthy as was the case with the Seattle Sounder system's northern leg to Everett.
Building of eastside portion of Streetcar loop may be contingent upon development of eastside area and removal of Eastbank Freeway.
Vancouver and Clark County's feeling of "independence from Portland" may keep light rail off the North Bank of the Columbia.
Building and operating a bi-state system may snag on finances. TriMet would likely operate a MAX system in Clark County, Washington, both would have to fund operations with different methods than it does in Oregon (C-Tran operates off of Sales Tax and formerly received most of its money off of auto registration fees).

·
Registered
208 Posts
JoshYent said:
this is planned ive seen the route on a map i found of the metro area and the planned lightrail lines, as well as future highways (there arent many ahhahaha) also future roads were listed, i will see if i can find it again, i found it on the ODOT website..
man, I know of a TriMet map that had all sorts of imagined MAX extensions. I just can't find it...instead of where the visionary map used to be, is this one:

which only shows the planned extensions for about the next 5 years.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's an awesome map Josh and gives the basic idea...there are some stupid things about his alignment though...the Damascus line...one day...will probably be an extension to the Clackamas line, the Milwaukie line to the OC would be the most realistic extension out that way, and that purple line seems to be placed across SE Portland for the hell of putting a purple line on his map. The red line extension is also the commuter line...I like the subway though...

I think it is necessary to intergrate streetcar lines as feeders to the MAX lines. I see the system as this...light rail feeds downtown and runs along major commuter routes, the streetcars feed the MAX and are built, first, where frequent service lines are currently running, and than bus service would transport the lesser populated outer regions into the system.

Damn, if only I had a few billion extra laying around...

·
Registered
208 Posts
height limits to increase downtown?

I can't stand the crotchety old Phil Stanford at the Tribune, but can't help reading him weekly too...not sure where he's getting this from but:

… Bold prediction for the new year: City officials will vote to allow new downtown buildings to be another five or so stories higher than the law currently allows. … Of course, there’ll be lots of moaning and groaning about how this will be the end of P-town as we know it — but forget it, folks. … In case you haven’t been downtown lately, especially along Southwest 10th, we’re already way past that point. … Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, I might add. …

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=116794944313073900

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's promising...there really isn't any new freeways proposed, with the exception of the Sunrise Corridor and an upgraded 26 to loop the area...I'm impressed...the transit map has got shit all over it, I'm gonna have to take a bit of time to digest it all!

·
6,753 Posts
That map is very impressive. I find Portland interesting. While cities around the country have been waiting more than two decades for federal funds to construct a single rail project, Portland is tackling two or three new rail lines in the next five to ten years. If that system comes to fruition, Portland will easily have the fourth or fifth best transit system in the nation in terms of coverage. What is the timeline on the Purple Line? Is that the line that is to follow after the green and orange lines?

·
Registered
87 Posts
that map with all the lines is a pipe dream by some guy but its still fun to dream
tonight

im loving the colors

im also lovin the kohler pavilion nice view!

well i decided to play with the ol' camera tonight and this is the final results!

spooky

hopefully sowa's skyline will start peaking above these trees in a couple years

·
Registered
208 Posts
PeterSmith said:
What is the timeline on the Purple Line? Is that the line that is to follow after the green and orange lines?
if you are looking at the TriMet map I posted, the purple line is the commuter rail and is already under construction. It should open in 2008 and there are already talks about starting an extension to Salem and eventually Eugene, even before it opens. The green line started construction January 1, and the yellow line is in early development stages. You will probably see a Green Line extension down Barbur Boulevard (from downtown to the Purple Tigard station) propsed in the next two years.

It's too bad all the streetcar lines, and even the tram line, aren't included on system maps provided by TriMet.

81 - 100 of 1186 Posts