SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 1186 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Portland is awesome!!! Everytime I go there, I always see new tower crane pop up! I'm happy to see that Portland is booming! I hope one day they will get supertall if they change their height restriction.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Portland is awesome!!! Everytime I go there, I always see new tower crane pop up! I'm happy to see that Portland is booming! I hope one day they will get supertall if they change their height restriction.

i cant way for that day to come! when the height restriction is raised were going to see some amazing towers :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
208 Posts
diz, that crane if for the Civic, which as you can see is almost completed, and the 6(?) story affordable housing component on the same property which has just begun to rise.

not to throw a wet blanket on the dreams of a new tallest, but you will probably, at least in the next five years, see buildings between 450' and 550' if the height limit increases (FAR would still limit heights to a large extent). Unless there is a reshuffle and additional FAR added into the core, to build a 600' - 700' tower would require some creative numbers and a well connected developer. I doubt many, if any, will step forward and open themselves up to the 'controversy' of a 650' tower. I do expect to see a new tallest though and probably a couple 500'+ in the future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow, Portland's got beautiful condo projects. Very Vancouveresque. I like how they're transit dependent too. Very smart urban planning. I hope Seattle can be more like Portland in terms of building design and transit.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
wow, Portland's got beautiful condo projects. Very Vancouveresque. I like how they're transit dependent too. Very smart urban planning. I hope Seattle can be more like Portland in terms of building design and transit.
Me too! Seattle is getting there but it won't be done for years from now. :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
^I personally think Seattle is building too big. One key of Portland's success is that no single project adds more than 200 units on the norm. Some Seattle projects have like 550 units. I understand Seattle is a larger market, but instead of building demand and keeping some level of anticipation by not fully satisfying that demand, there is just too much coming online in too short a period of time. As a result, some developers will lower prices or start incentives to fill units, than the market downturns as everyone else does as well.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^I personally think Seattle is building too big. One key of Portland's success is that no single project adds more than 200 units on the norm. Some Seattle projects have like 550 units. I understand Seattle is a larger market, but instead of building demand and keeping some level of anticipation by not fully satisfying that demand, there is just too much coming online in too short a period of time. As a result, some developers will lower prices or start incentives to fill units, than the market downturns as everyone else does as well.
Well Seattle metro area is expecting to add another 1.2 million residents in next decade and they have to provide enough housing to meet the demand. In my neighborhood (Belltown) some new condo buildings like Gallery, Mosler, Trio, Parc are almost sold out. Also there are another projects at downtown Seattle area are doing well too. I feel that Seattle condo prices are completely rip off. I can't see why these condos at downtown area has to be that expensve but invest in condos are very limited than compared to houses. I think all new condos should be no more than 500k. Also look at Bend, Oregon... Their new condos are worth more than 800k already! Crazy!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There aren't any projects in Seattle that come even close to 550 units, the biggest project right now is the Escala which has 280 units. Most of the new projects have between 150-200.

You may have gotten the 550 unit figure from the Bellevue Towers, a twin 42 story tower project in downtown Bellevue which ironically is being developed by a Portland firm.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
There aren't any projects in Seattle that come even close to 550 units, the biggest project right now is the Escala which has 280 units. Most of the new projects have between 150-200.

You may have gotten the 550 unit figure from the Bellevue Towers, a twin 42 story tower project in downtown Bellevue which ironically is being developed by a Portland firm.
Actually only project in downtown Seattle that will have about 400 units near Escala. I forgot what it is called but it is 42 stories condo tower.

·
Journeyman
16,497 Posts
I'd expect metro Seattle to add about 500,000 or 600,000 in the next decade. The whole state maybe 1,000,000. Nobody has suggested 1.2 million growth for the metro, unless you're talking 20 years.

I like getting large condo projects in Seattle. While I admire Portland's scale for Portland, I want Seattle to to maximize density on a bigger scale.

For over 20 years I've watched this city grow, like a hawk. A nerdy hawk. One "truth" that's become evident is how little effect you get from a few hundred new units. For true big-city-scaled urbanity you need to either attract people from elsewhere around town, or have a very high density, hopefully mixing uses. In an area like Belltown, which is maybe half residential and 2/3 through a 70-year development process, a 30,000 sf site better have a 150+ units, or better yet 200+, or it's wasting space.

I say that realizing that some of my favorite blocks have lower densities. Belltown Court, built around 1990 and a retail haven for the neighborhood, has 240 units on a 60,000 sf block. And some major towers have less than 100 units.

Seattle's largest project is the Mirabella retirement residence at 380 units if you count the 100 or so nursing rooms. Our largest planned projects are a 400+ unit project at Pontius and Republican, over 900 units on the north half of the north stadium parking lot, 440 units at 3rd & Virginia, 640 units at the Teatro Zinzanni site, and 550 units with big-box retail at the Goodwill site. We do have a number of Downtown complexes in the 300-770-unit range, including Harbor Steps (phased), Metropolitan, Olympus, and an older one on First Hill.

Some leaders project that our current 50,000 closest residents (1,800 acres or so) will become 100,000 in 20 years, or maybe it was 25 years. That requires big projects. I hope it happens.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
That made sense. Growth is unpredictable. Back in the 50s, no one predict that Seattle will become a large city but just big town until after 60s, huge boom hits Seattle. In the 80s, metropolitian Seattle population was only about 1 million... Now it over 4 million in just two decades. I have a feeling that City of Seattle will have at least 1 million residents between 10 to 20 years from now.

I hate it when new condo buildings are shorter than should be... Waste of space for housing. I think each condo building should have more than 300 units. Also I like to see more new parks to get built in downtown area.

141 - 160 of 1186 Posts