Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
The seating bowl of the Memorial Coliseum looks like it is more suited to a velodrome. And the exterior looks like the arena's interior was torn out for office or hotel use recently.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rose was probably the first of what I'd consider the modern arenas though, so you could say a lot of arenas world-wide took their influence from it.
I would say the United Center was the first, built in 1994. That said, Rose Garden was obviously well under construction before the UC even opened.
Actually The Palace beats both of them. It was opened in 1988.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Memorial's exterior is similar to Middle Tennessee's Murphy Center or "The Glass House". (supported from interior columns with a glass facade)

I just wish the interiors were similar. It lets in a lot of light, and feels less enclosed.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I think of The Palace and United Center as the same era of design. The Rose Garden is more like Newer arenas in the lower bowl and club seating.

lower bowl = The lower bowl of Rose features telescoping risers built into the bowl in the Y configuration at both ends just like everything built after not named Conseco.

club seating =/= just having club seating, but rather pathway riser seperated in the bowl/seperate club outside of bowl. Different than the configuration of the United Center. The United Center and The Palace are more like an NFL Stadium's bowl and club entrances in bowl and out. Modern arenas don't segregate it as visibly, though there is segregation. Its a cleaner look. The suite levels are far more group together whether around, or on one side.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The Palace is a little different though. Its a single concourse facility with suites directly on the concourse (as well as sunken into the lower bowl and above the upper). Most modern arenas take after the Bradley Center in Milwaukee (which opened the same year) with separate concourses for each level and the suites. In this respect I would say the palace is quite unique, though not the model the rest of the league has chosen to follow. And really the united center was the first to really break thing up with a separate club level in addition to the others.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
The Palace is a little different though. Its a single concourse facility with suites directly on the concourse (as well as sunken into the lower bowl and above the upper). Most modern arenas take after the Bradley Center in Milwaukee (which opened the same year) with separate concourses for each level and the suites. In this respect I would say the palace is quite unique, though not the model the rest of the league has chosen to follow. And really the united center was the first to really break thing up with a separate club level in addition to the others.
Anaheim Arena (Honda Center) opened prior to the United Center.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.