SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
N830MH
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Right now, they are already talked about Portland Diamond Project. If they find a new ballpark. They will bring new MLB team in Portland, OR.

Here's the link:

https://www.portlanddiamondproject.com/

Another one:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/more/portland-diamond-project-launches-new-website-all-your-mlb-pdx-info

Russell Wilson is trying to bring MLB to Portland.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/russell-wilson-ciara-invest-in-effort-to-bring-mlb-to-portland/ar-AAy79Rx

Let the speculation begin!

·
Yes, that is my face~
437 Posts
If they call the team the Portland Blue sox it will complete the holy trinity of sox in American flag colors lol.

In all seriousness though, outside of expansion (which I think is the preferred option), I don't see this being successful, especially with Montreal also working behind the scenes on making a new ballpark to revive the Expos.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
If they call the team the Portland Blue sox it will complete the holy trinity of sox in American flag colors lol.

In all seriousness though, outside of expansion (which I think is the preferred option), I don't see this being successful, especially with Montreal also working behind the scenes on making a new ballpark to revive the Expos.
Could bring in 2 expansion franchises. Montreal to the NL, Portland to the AL. 32 team league, each league has 16 teams, 4 divisions of 4 teams. Done and dusted.

·
Namasté
1,022 Posts

·
Proud Facebook Non-Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I could see Portland with a MLB franchise. Charlotte is another city that comes to mind, or maybe Indianapolis. Maybe those two are nonstarters, but Portland is intriquing.

·
3,563 Posts
I could see the A's moving up to Portland if their ballpark in the Greater Oakland-area falls through...
I could see that happening. The A's as a franchise have a bit of a tumbleweed history, and Oakland is in no mood to give sweetheart tax deals to sports clubs. It'd be a same though, as there is a fantastically wealthy city just south of San Francisco (San Jose) that would love to open their arms, and their wallets, to the A's. :(

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
It's not even the Giants' fault -- it's Congress' fault for enabling them via the antitrust exemption.
I assume you mean the Supreme Ct.? They decided baseball wasn't a business and therefore the antitrust laws didn't apply.

Of course, Congress ahs done nothing for 100 years to fix it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I assume you mean the Supreme Ct.? They decided baseball wasn't a business and therefore the antitrust laws didn't apply.

Of course, Congress ahs done nothing for 100 years to fix it.
Either way, Washington.

Peculiar how MLB let the Expos move roughly the same distance from the Orioles as SJ is from the Giants (which is much farther than the A's are now).

·
Registered
621 Posts
What rappers are from Portland? I've come to understand this is important when determining whether Portland is a suitable market for baseball.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Either way, Washington.

Peculiar how MLB let the Expos move roughly the same distance from the Orioles as SJ is from the Giants (which is much farther than the A's are now).

...which they allowed because DC and Baltimore are separate media markets, DC #6 and Baltimore #26. There is complete separation, separate radio, TV and print. Combined, San Francisco, Oakland and SAN JOSE comprise the #8 media market. The NBC affiliate is in San Jose, Fox is in Oakland and the others are around the area. So it makes sense that DC got a team separate from Baltimore if you understand things.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
...which they allowed because DC and Baltimore are separate media markets, DC #6 and Baltimore #26. There is complete separation, separate radio, TV and print. Combined, San Francisco, Oakland and SAN JOSE comprise the #8 media market. The NBC affiliate is in San Jose, Fox is in Oakland and the others are around the area. So it makes sense that DC got a team separate from Baltimore if you understand things.
Not that simple. Did you miss the last decade of litigation between the DC Metro teams over broadcast rights for the market they operate in? The real motivation for the move was not that Baltimore is a separate market but that MLB, under congressional pressure, wanted a team with the Washington name.

In SF, the problem arises because the Haas family, as a favor to the Giants when they couldn't get a stadium built in SF, relinquished their rights to SJ. This made it legally impossible for the A's to build there. Like LA, NY, the DC Metro and Chicago there are not distinct Bay Area markets; there are zones within a single market. But in the Bay Area's case, they are legally divided.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts