Height -
Building type - Hotel
Architect - Carey Jones
Location - Leeds City Centre
Current Status - Approved

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
The massing looks a bit odd but the material choices look pretty good. Definitely designed to blend in rather than enhance the area.

·
Elegantly Twisted
9,811 Posts
It does mean if any glass highrise were to be situated there it would look very landmarkish and iconic.

This building is helping to craft a bit of an identity to this section of town and help to generate its own character... which can then be challenged by high quality buildings of the future :)

·
6,889 Posts
The curved frontage looks dramatic and impressive, it's just a shame that couldn't have extended up to the top of the building, ie up another two floors. That would make the building look quite a bit more iconic.

·
Administrator
34,855 Posts
The curved frontage looks dramatic and impressive, it's just a shame that couldn't have extended up to the top of the building, ie up another two floors. That would make the building look quite a bit more iconic.
quite. a restaurant/skybar would make sense there. only 31m right now... pah.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
work on this hotel is starting very soon if it hasn't started already. new hoardings have gone up and i noticed yesterday that Leeds Met have had to change their building evacuation information due to that side of the site being restricted.

Also expect to see scaffolding going up on their Calverley Building very very soon too...both of these and the new build student tower should make this corner of town a hive of activity. can't wait!! :)

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
work on this hotel is starting very soon if it hasn't started already. new hoardings have gone up and i noticed yesterday that Leeds Met have had to change their building evacuation information due to that side of the site being restricted.

Also expect to see scaffolding going up on their Calverley Building very very soon too...both of these and the new build student tower should make this corner of town a hive of activity. can't wait!! :)
That's great news! Do you have some insider info that has confirmed the start of the hotel? It would be fantastic for Leeds to carry on the momentum generated by the arena and Trinity.

I guess if they want to be open in time for the Tour de France in July 14 they would need to start construction now, the same would apply to the proposed Hilton at Portland Crescent.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Took these on Saturday. As you can see there are materials strewn across the hotel site and there is a Murphy cabin on site - but it looked like it had been there a while.

They have also made a compound for the building refurb right next to the hotel site.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm not sure this is the start of the hotel.
The site is still owned by Downing, as is the site of the new student tower, and from the looks of it they're just using it to park vehicles and store equipment for the student tower works.
I hope it is the hotel but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

·
6,889 Posts
The blue cabins and hoarding in the photo above is part of George Downing Construction, ie. for the Central Village building. If you zoom in on the sign on the white hoarding in the lower right, you can just make out George Downing's name, logo, and their 0151 7072666 phone number.

Also, the plan (link below) shows this compound and cabins at the lower left of the plan.

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o.../pdf/12_00152_FU-13_00088_-_LAYOUT-727753.pdf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts