SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fascinating opening chapter from this 1970 publication. It's also interesting to read what an "outsider" feels (good and bad) about the city.

·
Fugly
11,298 Posts
Excellent read that Dave, especially the stuff about the Welsh. The Irish connection in Liverpool is always played up, but the taffs are almost forgotten, apart from those streets in Toxteth. Bad blood due to the flooded valleys perhps? Are you going to post up the rest of the book, or do we have to scour the libraries to find a copy? ;)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks Dave.

A wacker and his Judy eh? What happened to them?

I agree with much of what he says about Dublin but in my experience Lpool is a much more egalitarian city. In both cities the south side is more prosperous than the north but there's very much less inner city dereliction in Dublin. The victorian and georgian parts are similar but North Dublin has streets of old, terraced, one storey dwellings that I haven't come across here.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Bunnyman said:
Excellent read that Dave, especially the stuff about the Welsh. The Irish connection in Liverpool is always played up, but the taffs are almost forgotten, apart from those streets in Toxteth. Bad blood due to the flooded valleys perhps? Are you going to post up the rest of the book, or do we have to scour the libraries to find a copy? ;)
The Eisteddfod has been held many times in Liverpool and the 2007 Eisteddfod is to be held in.......Liverpool.

It is true that the Irish connection is overplayed and the Welsh one near forgotten. The reality is that the Welsh connection is far stronger.

His writing at times is near Victorian - very dated, even in 1970.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Liverpool8 said:
Thanks Dave.

A wacker and his Judy eh? What happened to them?

I agree with much of what he says about Dublin but in my experience Lpool is a much more egalitarian city. In both cities the south side is more prosperous than the north but there's very much less inner city dereliction in Dublin.
Dublin is a capital city. London did not suffer inner city decay either.

·
Registered
745 Posts
John-MK said:
what.. have you ever actually been to london.. it is still suffering from inner city decay. albeit more in terms of poverty and aging housing stock as aposed to mass dereliction that liverpool has had (though that is gradually changing) but it is only the massive housing shortages that london suffers from that prevented a similar mass exodus from inner city areas

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bunnyman said:
Mark, there's a few more pages to go in the first chapter. I'll post them this avvy. Have to pop into London for a few hours :cheers:

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
John-MK said:
Oh yes it did, and still does in parts. Ever been to Elephant and Castle, the Old Kent Road, Kings Cross? Regenerating now, however.

You're on form this morning.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
maggie said:
what.. have you ever actually been to london.. it is still suffering from inner city decay. albeit more in terms of poverty and aging housing stock as aposed to mass dereliction that liverpool has had (though that is gradually changing) but it is only the massive housing shortages that london suffers from that prevented a similar mass exodus from inner city areas
The man talks utter shite.Inner London lost a million people from 1950-1980.I lived in the east end for seven years and parts of it were worse than Liverpool for dereliction.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Yep, Wormy, it was a great pity that the Eisteddfod organisers didn't accept Liverpool's invitation.

Instead, they've chosen to set up in a field near Mold, in a unitary authority that can't afford it. :eek:hno:

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
maggie said:
what.. have you ever actually been to london..
I live there. The centre and immediate belt around it did not suffer at all. The outer districts did, like Tower Hamlets, much of south London and the East end. These are regarded as inner city yet they are way away from the west end.

Liverpool suffered right in the centre and the belt immediately around, as did many other cities. In the 1980s Liverpool centre was a ghost town. A few pubs and clubs, you would not be seen dead in.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I wouldn't swear to this but I have a recollection reading that up until recently more books had been published in Welsh in Liverpool than anywhere else in the world. It's a pity that Welsh nationalists want to understandably turn their back on Liverpool for something more geographically 'Welsh'. I wonder if they realise how 'scouse' Flintshire is? In places like Mold, Flint and Holywell you hear scouse accents spoken as least as much as 'Welsh' ones!

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
^^Even that's bollocks as well. Covent Garden - the heart of the West End and nowadays one of the liveliest parts of London - was full of empty and derelict buildings in the 70s.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Awayo said:
Even that's bollocks as well. Covent Garden - the heart of the West End and nowadays one of the liveliest parts of London - was full of empty and derelict buildings in the 70s.
It wasn't at all.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
John-MK said:
It was scheduled for Liverpool, it must have been changed.
It was never scheduled for Liverpool. Read what Wormy and I have told you. Liverpool wanted it, but the Eisteddfod decided against it.

Check basic facts before posting shite, John.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts