1 - 20 of 2032 Posts

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Official Eastside Plaza Construction Thread

The Official Eastside Plaza Construction Thread

Portsmouth, UK, 95m

On Tuesday, I went up the newly built 170m Spinnaker Tower and took some pictures of the spectacle of the south coast. I knew the new Eastside Plaza, 95m was under construction, but the tower foundations and base were hid behind hoardings....all was shown however to be different when viewed from the. I took over 200 pictures when up there (I won the contest me and my mates were having there ;)) over the 1hr 30mins that I was up there. Its definately worth the visit on a clear day and its quite amazing looking at how flat and dense (2nd densest city in the UK after London as its on an island) Portsmouth is.

Without much more to do - first construction pictures of the 95m tower, the constructions to the right are around 6-12 storeys in height.

As a teaser of an upcoming thread from the 170m Spinnaker Tower....

·
Registered
311 Posts
So, the one I've ringed in green is going to be the one in the render?
What is the red one, then? Is that cylindrical building finished?

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cylindrical building is topped out and pretty much just having the last bits of its cladding done and being internally fitted. The green lines are what will be the tower and the small building to the right of the tower in the rendering.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
I was in Pompey this weekend, went to see the always superb Cribs play the Wedgewood Rooms on saturday night.

Had a wander around Gunwharf and up the Spinnaker Tower today. Thought it would have seemed rude not to take some photos of progress on Eastside Plaza.

From up the Spinnaker Tower, slightly blurred due to the rain.

Back on terra firma :)

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it will pretty much be the Portsmouth brother of Ontario....but with slightly different cladding.

I go past, but not too close to the site each day and I've been meaning to take pictures but fail to do so! It would have been better if the circular building next door to the station had been built as tall - forming a proper gateway.

Infact a brilliant area for high density development is the land to the left of the railway: connecting Gunwharf and the Historic Dockyard with the City Centre. Portsmouth's population is booming also.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
The PORTSMOUTH (and area) thread

There seems to be a reasonable amount going on 'down there', it probably deserves a thread of its own!

COMPLETED (2005) :

SPINNAKER TOWER (170M)

^
(Thanks to The Hunted, cardiff & London guy)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

EAST SIDE PLAZA (95M - 26 FLOORS)

Nearly-latest, April 2006:

Renderoid:

Building site from the Spinnaker Tower December 2005:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

ADMIRALTY QUARTER (?M - 22 FLOORS)

(Apologies to Nick Taylor)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

UNKNOWN TOWER IN GOSPORT

Any ideas?

December 2005:

April 2006:

Feel free to add any more if you're local!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Apologies for the crappy quality pics... I only ever bother taking down my ancient pocket-sized Canon to Pompey

·
Registered
491 Posts
im glad that portsmouth is getting some big buildings spinnaker tower is the only nice looking one here. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cool. Pompey'll have a nice little skyline with these proposals going up. Roll on some more!

I especially like East Side Plaza. Looks a lot like Ontario Tower in the Docklands.

·
FuturePlanningConsultant
182 Posts
Not the best quality, but here is a picture I took of Portsmouth from the south coast of the Isle of Wight last summer. Notice the Spinnaker Tower in the centre.

The photo doesn't really do it justice, even from this distance the Spinnaker Tower really stands out.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
so gosport has a nice building now to go along with its charity shops, hopefully some of whats happening in portsmouth is beginning to rub off on those people.

nice pics, i'll probably be making my way to isle of wight soon. im dieing to see the view from there. hopefully they will have lifted the ban on carrying sheep on the cross solent hovercraft route by then too.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
metro said:
so gosport has a nice building now to go along with its charity shops, hopefully some of whats happening in portsmouth is beginning to rub off on those people.

nice pics, i'll probably be making my way to isle of wight soon. im dieing to see the view from there. hopefully they will have lifted the ban on carrying sheep on the cross solent hovercraft route by then too.
Do you have any idea what that tower in Gosport is metro?

It looks a pretty respectable height... maybe 75m / 20 stories. Its gone up within the past year. Nothing on Emporis (no surprise there though!).

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
sourov said:
i never been to porsthmouth but i can see its beatiful
That would be warmly received by people in Portsmouth, but truth be known a lot of the city is one of the ugliest I've seen... There are loads of high-rise concrete council estates and one of the ugliest blocks I've seen ever is a long barrier block that flanks the motorway into town for seemingly miles... a wonderful welcome!

The regenerated area around Gunwharf Quays (where the Spinnaker is) is very attractive, and the hideous Tricorn Centre has now been demolished... Its certainly improving, but has a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
the first time i noticed that tower was when they started to dismantle the crane, it shows how often i look across to gosport, but yes it looks 20 levels,perhaps 21. maybe i'll get some binoculars and count them at some stage. dunno what its called, tower with no name i suppose. there was nothing in the local press about it:?
that concrete/brick barrier type thing council block running along side the moterway is like something out of Mordor.....its the most desolate shite building i've ever seen.. and people actually live in there!

1 - 20 of 2032 Posts