SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Please rate the Portsmouth Millenium Tower.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
13,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spinnaker Tower
Portsmouth

Height: 170m
Floors: 3
Built: 2002-2005
Architect: HGP Architects

Links:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=3728562
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=406
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southampton/webcams/spinnaker_tower.shtml

- Tallest structure in Portsmouth, and one of the tallest structures in the UK outside London.

- Built on Gunwharf, near Portsmouth Harbour Station, the Spinnaker Tower offers spectacular views across the harbour for an expected 700,000 visitors a year. It is the centrepiece of the Millennium Project for the Renaissance of Portsmouth Harbour.

- Construction of the tower fell way behind schedule and the last piece of the structure was finally fitted on 17th January 2005 - five years later than originally planned.

- The 'top cone' spire which is 27 metres tall and weighs 14 tonnes, was lifted up by crane, bringing the tower to its full height of 170 metres - that's two and a half times the size of Nelson's Column in London.

- The design is intended to represent billowing sails and the city's strong maritime traditions and was the result of extensive public consultations.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Apart from the fact that it looks like a someone who needs the toilet, it's pretty damn cool.

I'm surprised that it hasn't been in the media much compared to say the publicity the Angle of the North got.
It's not going to do much for Portsmouths tourist business if they don't tell people about it.

·
CENTRALIAN BY HEART
0 Posts
10/10 .. fantastic !

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
lol would have been better if portsmouth had more interesting buildings to look at from the top of it. They should build another one so you can see the millennium tower from the air. Great building

·
Like 'Berg'
7,164 Posts
Very nautical (is that how its spelt? :S) and fitting to the geographical location (and historical relevence).. Also looks like it could of been shipped in from Dubai or somewhere me thinks ? :S

Just needs some tall buildings to compliment it, nothing the same size as it, just a few to make it look more welcomed and not a tourist

8/10

·
βAŇŇĘÐ
7,553 Posts
9/10, it's great! I saw it for the first time this thime last week on a visit to Portsmouth and the historic dockyard, but what sticks in my mind is when my mum hit the car infront of us on that trip, big bump but no damage:)

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I love the tower, but the contraversey over it is more of a talking point than its beauty in portsmouth! i think it will look awsome when they build east side plaza as well. 9/10 (have always been a defender of it as it gives portsmouth an iconic image, like eiffel tower, big ben, empire state)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.