SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how high its possible to build in florida because I heard that florida doesnt have any supertalls because the water table is too high and thats the reason there are no subways too.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
There's also the fact that we are threatened by hurricanes and any super-talls are going to be insurance liabilities in the event of a hurricane smashing Florida. Winds can be intense at ground level in a storm and they can be much more intense the higher (in altitude) you go.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The water table has little to do with subways. Note that in many cities the subway tunnels lie on the floors of bodies of water. Really it has to do more with the public support of mass transit (which is growing in Florida). I'd love to see a subway in Miami Beach, but residents there would oppose it because they don't want "trash" (their word not mine) coming into their neighborhood. As for supertalls and hurricanes, the buildings are engineered to sustain hurricane force winds. I remember seeing a condo on the coast of central florida that had all of its windows stripped off (on both sides) blowing everything out of the building, but the building still stood. So you see the most important factor here is the window, which has nothing to do with building height. After Wilma I think a lot of developers are going to be very careful with the windows.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Currently, the states tallest is the Four Seasons in Miami which is about 800'.
There are several proposed projects which would exceed that height if the numbers work out AND the FAA agree.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Where (probably Miami) and how high?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The reason nothing has been built taller than the four seasons can be summed up with three letters: F A A. Florida is cursed by the fact that is has "new" cities which thus had lots of empty land when air travel became popular in the 1950's so they built airports near their downtown areas thinking it would be a big convience. Of course later on the FAA came along and decided tall buildings should not go near airports thus these cities are now screwed.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I still say between the Verizon Building and Tampa tower( Proposed) East towards Ybor city along the LeeRoy Selmon you could go much higher and not be in anybody's way...

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Yeah, if Tampa wants taller buildings, they have to expand the DT core north and east to avoid the airport routes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Someone had written a post once before about NYC and the proximity of it's downtown and airport. Most Florida cities have FAA restrictions, we don't in Jax as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The only reason Tampa might have one is because of POK airport down on Davis Islands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts