SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been to S.F. a once in my life, so I am not very familiar with the city. I am interviewing with a company in Redwood City, Ca. and would like to live in S.F. What kind of a commute would I be looking at on a daily basis? Some of my friends have told me to just live in Redwood City and avoid the traffic. Is there a commuter rail from S.F. to Redwood City? I know BART does not go that far south. Is driving to work my only option?

Any information would help.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,444 Posts
The Caltrain Baby Bullet gets you to Redwood City in about 30 min, compared to about 60 minutes during rush hour. Of course, then it depends on where you live in the City as Caltrain only leaves from SoMA in the southern portion of the City.

I'd say you're looking at a one hour door-to-door commute by train and possibly longer by car if you take highway 101. Highway 280 is usually traffic-free so it could be an option if you live in the western extremities of the City.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking at places in the Marina/Cow Hallow, Nob Hill, Pac Heights, etc. Im pretty open when it comes to neighborhood. How far is the Caltrain from these neighborhoods? Also, what kind of distance is it from the Caltrain stop in Redwood City to the Oracle Corp?

Also, is it realistic to live in S.F. without a car, if I am working in the suburbs? Im heading out to S.F. on July 11th, and I probably have to get all of this taken care of that weekend. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

Steve

·
Downtown San Jose
1,444 Posts
I have been looking at places in the Marina/Cow Hallow, Nob Hill, Pac Heights, etc. Im pretty open when it comes to neighborhood. How far is the Caltrain from these neighborhoods? Also, what kind of distance is it from the Caltrain stop in Redwood City to the Oracle Corp?

Also, is it realistic to live in S.F. without a car, if I am working in the suburbs? Im heading out to S.F. on July 11th, and I probably have to get all of this taken care of that weekend. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

Steve
The neighborhoods yuo mentioned are on the opposite end of town...to really get to Caltrain quickly I'd pick SoMA, North Beach, South Beach or anywhere along BART (Mission). It is very realistic to live in the City without a car. I suggest going into Google maps and checking out the distances from the train stop (which is two blocks from Pac Bell Park).

Also, if you'll be at Oracle then your stop will be San Carlos and there's a shuttle that runs to Redwood Shores (Oracle) from there. The only disadvantage is that San Carlos isn't a Baby Bullet stop so you could be looking at a substantially longer train commute, depending on your schedule.

http://caltrain.com/timetable.html

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey, let me pile onto this thread. My wife and I are also looking to move to the Peninsula area this fall.

Ideally, we'd like to live somewhere walkable and at least somewhat urban (we'll be coming from Seattle, where we've enjoyed living with only one rarely used car between us). My wife needs to be able to get to Stanford easily, and I'm looking for a tech job, probably either in downtown Palo Alto or near the Caltrain stop in SF. We were hoping we could find something like an old apartment above retail in the historic downtowns of the Caltrain-oriented towns, but we're not finding many options on Craig's List.

Do such apartments exist? Are there cities that are particularly good or bad for that? (It looks like Palo Alto, Mountain View and Redwood City are our best hopes for a suburban downtown, but I'm not sure if I'm overlooking better options. I've also heard Burlingame is not bad.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey, let me pile onto this thread. My wife and I are also looking to move to the Peninsula area this fall.

Ideally, we'd like to live somewhere walkable and at least somewhat urban (we'll be coming from Seattle, where we've enjoyed living with only one rarely used car between us). My wife needs to be able to get to Stanford easily, and I'm looking for a tech job, probably either in downtown Palo Alto or near the Caltrain stop in SF. We were hoping we could find something like an old apartment above retail in the historic downtowns of the Caltrain-oriented towns, but we're not finding many options on Craig's List.

Do such apartments exist? Are there cities that are particularly good or bad for that? (It looks like Palo Alto, Mountain View and Redwood City are our best hopes for a suburban downtown, but I'm not sure if I'm overlooking better options. I've also heard Burlingame is not bad.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...
^^Not bad. You should try living in San Mateo and Burlingame. I don't live south Peninsula, but I heard those are great places to live, vey safe (depending what areas), and weather is much warmer. Since Craigslist didn't provide what you're looking, my only advice to you is come in a weekend and see those areas by yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts