SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Banned
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope I understood the purpose of this subforum correctly... if not, delete this thread, ban my account and block my IP :shifty:

this thread is for your snapshots of urban settings... just look and shot, no careful selection of picture theme or colors required. Show your or other cities as you see them with your eyes.

I took some quick pics while I was shopping today:

·
Banned
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some people say that Munich is more beautiful as it is more coherent and uniform. On the other hand, Berlin is far more diverse... you'll find many beautiful places but also many ugly corners.

If you come to Germany I would advise you visit both cities if possible. You could take the plane to Munich Airport and spent two or three days there ... and then you'll have seen everything worthwhile ;) ... afterwards you should come to Berlin for two weeks or more and fall in love

... well I'm maybe a little bit biased :lol:

·
LIBERTINED
46,540 Posts
Neubrandenburg - Germany

Good idea miezekatz, that's some advertisement this new section immediately needs ;)

I'm going ahead with shots of my town - *drum roll* - Neubrandenburg! (clicki for further informations)

Those shots mainly show the exclusive residential area called "Jahnviertel" (-quarter), near the city center. Many nice bars and pubs there, also very livable. Most of the "Gründerzeit"/Belle Epoque-mansions have been renovated, still some work to do obviously. Perhaps I'm going to open a whole thread for my metropolis, but those shots should be enough at first.

Let's start with one of the 'landmarks' of Neubrandenburg - the Treptower Tor (Treptow gate) - one of four medieval brick gates of the remaining city wall. Those timber houses like that one right of the gate you can see everywhere build into the wall itself, there are about 50 of them. Here you can find some other pictures of the gates.

At a 'lil city's stream - the Oberbach

Moving towards the 19th century Jahnviertel

At one of the major roads into the city - "Rostocker Straße". They're renovating many nice buildings there now.

Inside the mansion quarter - some decent Art Nouveau / Jugendstil

As well as Neo-Classicist

You can even find Hanse-like gables around there

An old mill, a pretty hip complex of bars, cafes and shops nowadays

It's pretty dense filled with historic mansions, much more to see there. Should be enough for now. Neubrandenburg says "Auf Wiedersehen!" :hi:

·
Banned
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going ahead with shots of my town - *drum roll* - Neubrandenburg

I've been in Neubrandenburg a couple of times... It still has a complete medieval city wall and nice town gates :)

There's still that butt-ugly tower with a bistro on top, isn't it?

·
LIBERTINED
46,540 Posts
Sounds good. Why have you been there, some relatives, interest, shoppingj/K;)?

Sadly yes, the tower's still there in its good old ugly outfit. But the HKB as it's called and the whole marketplace undergo huge renovations at the moment.
The actual problem is: I know the owner of the bistro on top ("Koni's Café") personally - he can't effort to pay the exploding rents anymore, when the renovations are completed. I actually liked that (well, actually it's more a bar than a bistro) place pretty much. Affordable drinks, great atmosphere (it calls itself kinda "GDR-museum" and has extensive decorations due to this), fantastic view above the city and of course nice barkeepers, since I know them. And, if you believe it or not: There is really a multicultural atmosphere up there, due to the amount of either tourists or black/arabic/mediterranean immigrants. Some friends from South Africa came to Neubrandenburg after a buddy of mine visited their town e.g. Also many pupils/students in exchange are coming to this place, as well as the students of our polytechnic.

Well, I think you get the point - I'm really going to miss this place, it's so dear to my heart :cry:

·
Banned
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. Why have you been there, some relatives, interest, shoppingj/K;)?
Just exploring the countryside adjacent to the autobahn. It's a half-way stop on the road to the baltic sea :)

The tower itself looks just awful but offers a nice view... I remember I had drink or two in the bar... I don't remember much thereafter though :cheers:

EDIT: it would be a shame if the bar is closed... are there any plans concerning the tower after the renovation?

·
LIBERTINED
46,540 Posts
Yet another snapshot by me ;) This one shows a department store in Weimar, Thuringia, East Germany.
Pigeons rock! As long as they pose for pics and don't poo...

fettekatz: If you're referring to the bar, actually no. The owner is searching for an assumable place to re-open it, but he actually can't find a proper (and inexpensive as the former HKB) one. The tower will be shaped into some sorta media-center by the by. If I got time I'll search for a link of this project. Sadly they're only going to renovate it inside, since the exterior is protected by the preservation order (Denkmalschutz). Quite absurd, isn't it? :|

·
LIBERTINED
46,540 Posts
What a pity this thread doesn't catch much attention. Perhaps that's due to the small letters in the topic :dunno:

Anyway. This is a shot I took in London last year in spring.
Let's call it "Red Light" ;)

·
Banned
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What a pity this thread doesn't catch much attention. Perhaps that's due to the small letters in the topic :dunno:
next time I'll write 'nudity', 'sex', 'computer'....

anyway: a shot from the Kanzleramt (chancellery) taken while inside the S-Bahn

1 - 20 of 144 Posts