Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Postcards and other images of St.Kilda, Melbourne from the past

From St. Kilda to King’s Cross.
Paul Kelly

From St Kilda to Kings Cross is thirteen hours on a bus
I pressed my face against the glass and watched the white lines rushing past
And all around me felt like all inside me
And my body left me and my soul went running

Have you ever seen Kings Cross when the rain is falling soft?
I came in on the evening bus, from Oxford Street I cut across
And if the rain don't fall too hard everything shines just like a postcard
Everything goes on just the same

Fair-weather friends are the hungriest friends
I keep my mouth well shut, I cross their open hands

I want to see the sun go down from St Kilda Esplanade
Where the beach needs reconstruction, where the palm trees have it hard
I'd give you all of Sydney Harbour (all that land, all that water)
For that one sweet promenade

Above and below, St.Kilda Junction before demolition of the southern side of High Street and name-change to St.Kilda Road.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Above, St. Kilda’s Luna Park is the world’s oldest amusement park under private management.
The landmark opened in 1912 on the site of ‘Dreamworld’ that closed in 1909.

Above, Luna Park in the 1960s, and the next four below, the changing face of Luna Park.

Above and below, we see two recent St. Kilda aerials.

“I'd give you all of Sydney Harbour (all that land, all that water)
For that one sweet promenade”. :cool:

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
St. Kilda Junction plans showing a tram flyover:

Construction (destruction) pics of St. Kilda Road Junction:

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Text from Melbourne Architecture
Philip Goad

Luna Park
Cavell Street and The Esplanade, St Kilda

Luna Park, Australia’s earliest amusement park, was the brainchild of the Greater JD Williams Company and the Phillips brothers of the United States. Construction began in 1912 and, after 1913, the Phillips brothers ran this unique complex for the next forty years. The giant mouth between two Moorish towers is like the entry to a walled Islamic temple complex; however, with the Big Dipper (1923) and the Scenic Railway creating a dramatic undulating wall above, this is clearly no place for solemnity from the first year of opening, new attractions were added and removed as their popularity rose and fell. The Whip (1923) and the Giggle Palace have gone, but original rides such as the Carousel was built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, shipped to Brussels a few years later then ended up in White City, NSW, before being purchased by Luna Park in 1924.
Luna Park is returning gradually to its former glory after a few faded decades. A new owner, with the assistance of conservation architects Nigel Lewis and Richard Aitken, is now restoring and rebuilding many of the exotic facades that concealed rides and amusement halls, as well as adding new attractions.

St. Kilda’s Luna Park is the world’s oldest amusement park under private management.
The landmark opened in 1912 on the site of ‘Dreamworld’ which closed in 1909.

Above, Luna Park in the 1960s.

The changing face of Luna Park, above and next three below.

An aerial of St Kilda, clearly showing the rear of Luna Park and its undulating Scenic Railway.

Luna Park on a metcard

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Main body of text from Melbourne Architecture
Philip Goad

Palais Theatre
Lower Esplanade, St Kilda

1927 Henry E White

Built on the site of another theatre/cinema, the design of which was widely attributed to Walter Burley Griffin, the new Palais was described by the Argus in 1927 as the largest and most beautiful theatre in the country. Seating 2968 people, the ‘French and Oriental style’ interior was indeed vast. Features of the interior were the open wells in the upper foyer and an elliptical one over the back stalls. In recent years, the Palais has been the venue for a wide variety of events, scout gang shows, rock concerts, architects’ award nights and even the odd film festival.

Before the current Palais Theatre, there were two versions of the Palais Pictures.

In the postcard below we see the original Palais Pictures (1914) in the center, flanked by Luna Park and Palais De Danse.

In 1922, while work commenced on the Capital Theatre, Walter Burley Griffin began designing a remodelled Palais Pictures. Construction of Griffin's plans began in 1925, but a spectacular fire engulfed the stage in February 1926, just before completion, bringing a halt to work.

When the Griffins moved on to Sydney, the developers commissioned a new architect, Henry E. White, to build the larger, more grand Palais Theatre.

Photo of the renovated Palais Pictures, just before the fire.

Add featuring the new Palais Theatre/Pictures.

The Palais Theatre built on the former old Palais Pictures site in all its glory.

Photo by MattDoc.

The stage.

Aerial of the St Kilda triangle featuring the Palais Theatre.

The future, render of St Kilda Triangle proposal.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
St. Kilda must be one of the nation's most interesting suburbs. Some of the old homes are so stunning... it must have been amazing in its heyday as the place to be for Melbourne's gentry.

I love how the suburb still has some throw backs to the 60's and 70's when it was full of drug addicts and artists.

Collector, do you have any photos of the St. Kilda Botanical Gardens?

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
I hate to say this but the attachment of Melburnians to St Kilda completely baffles me. I remember when I first went there, my friend said, "It's like Melbourne's Bondi". I got there and kept walking round going, "But, really, this is it?" I'm sorry, but St Kilda is not only unremarkable, it's downright ugly. It's not even as nice as Botany Bay. It needs all the help it can get.

·
Architecture Aficionado
175 Posts
^^Are you joking Shaggers?? After having moved to Sydney and having had to listen to every person up here crap on about how fab Bondi is, I can tell you after visiting it that it is the most overated beach I have ever seen. Not to mention the fact that everything behind the beach is hideously ugly. Seriously I could crap out a better looking suburb than Bondi Beach. No one in Melb would even compare St Kilda beach to any other beach anywhere for swimming puposes, but I can tell you I would rather live (again) or go out in St K than go down to that drab craphole that Sydneysiders revere like some holy entity. :eek:hno:

And your friend is wrong, comparisons of St K and Bondi are insulting......god I am over Sydney.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Yeah look, the dissapointing thing about St Kilda is that it has SO much potential...so much that I could go on and on and on, I almost lose sleep at night at the lack of progress and new infrastructure going on here....and we all know who we can blame for that.
St Kilda will never be Bondi and I'm sure it's not trying to be. People don't really come here to lay on the beach (unless you are from the north western suburbs and looking for a fight). It has history and some beautiful grand homes and buidings, not to mention one of largest collection of streets lined with mature date palms I've seen anywhere in the world.
Basically, St Kilda could be a world class tourist destination but unfortunately with groups like 'unchain' it never will be anything more than a tired and rundown beachside suburb with a rotting theme park in the middle of it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
But isn't that one of the attractions of the place. It's developed to the nth degree, it is what it is and it has it's own unique character and characters that live there. I really like the fact that Acland Street and Fitzroy street have a reallz different feel about them, and the residential streets between the two house a collection of beautiful old buildings, new but modest apartment complexes replete with locals, tourists and hookers and the occasional drug dealer all mixed in. The only thing I think it misses is a proper red light feel, like what Fitzroy street used to be like up until the late 80's. It was the first time I ever saw a woman with tats looking like Wonder Woman walking down the street with a live snake around her neck. Awesome! After that, there seems to have been a drive to clean it up.....and it's never quite recovered that vibe it once had.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
For ambience and interesting architecture St Kilda craps all over treeless windswept Bondi that has to be one of the worst beaches Sydney has!

Have a look at Manly which is more like St Kilda and the other fabulous northern beaches and you will see what Im talking about.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
For ambience and interesting architecture St Kilda craps all over treeless windswept Bondi that has to be one of the worst beaches Sydney has!

Have a look at Manly which is more like St Kilda and the other fabulous northern beaches and you will see what Im talking about.
I was going to contradict the factual absurdities of this post but then realised it was Auslankan, who is to Melbourne what Al Qaeda is to Islam, and realised I didn't care.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

Don't be silly. Bondi is the bomb...I love it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
this badboy really ought to be re-domed. its looking really rundown now days. There's not too many of these type of domes left in melbs either nowdays

1 - 20 of 33 Posts