PQS
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2106867,00.html

Forest plot return to the top with east Midlands super stadium

Daniel Taylor
Wednesday June 20, 2007
The Guardian

Nottingham Forest will today begin the process of trying to re-establish themselves as a leading club by announcing plans to move into an "east Midlands super stadium" on the outskirts of the city. The Guardian has seen plans for the new site, which has been designed with the 2018 World Cup in mind and will usher in a new era for the fallen two-time European Cup winners.
Initially, the stadium will have a capacity of around 40,000 but there will be scope to increase to 50,000 if Forest can make the long climb from League One to the Premiership. That would make it the largest stadium in the east Midlands and, if the Football Association is successful in bringing the 2018 tournament to England, among the leading grounds to be selected for games alongside Villa Park, Old Trafford, St James' Park, the City of Manchester Stadium and Liverpool's new ground.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The City Ground, which has stood on the banks of the River Trent since 1898 and was the scene of many of Brian Clough's former glories, is expected to be sold in a move that will dismay traditionalists and those who remember when it was home to the champions of Europe.
The Guardian has learned that Forest, who have averaged crowds around the 20,000 mark despite their slide into the third tier of English football, have agreed a deal in principle where the majority of the costs for the new stadium will be funded from outside the club.

Developers have offered Forest use of a vast site in the Clifton region of Nottingham, close to the M1 and have offered to foot most of the bill because they are aware of the huge potential for the area and the financial rewards from other businesses setting up around the ground. Nigel Doughty, Forest's multimillionaire owner, is expected to fund the rest of the project and the club are understood to be seeking financial help from the local authorities. However, the project may have to wait until the A453, which supporters will use to get to and from the M1, is turned into a dual carriageway.

The club have been desperate to keep the plans confidential but are aware that details have leaked and will hold a press conference at the City Ground this morning.

Intriguingly, Derby County, Forest's main rivals, have just announced plans to redevelop Pride Park and increase the capacity from 33,500 to 44,000. The suspicion at Forest is that Derby have got wind of their plans and are keen for their own stadium to be regarded as the most impressive football arena in the east Midlands. Forest, however, are confident their famous past will stand in their favour.

--------------------------------
:cheers:

Excellent! Lets face it Nottingham as a city is a much better prospect for hosting world cup teams than the likes of Derby

·
1,226 Posts
The 2018 World Cup is acting a great motivator for clubs to build or develop their grounds, Nott's Forest are probably going to need it to be 50,000 to be certain of getting their place on the list.

All the clubs wanting to host a World Cup match are going to need major International Airports nearby, I know East Midlands is close but it's is even closer to Derby and that could work in their favour.

Competition like this is great for English football though.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it would be built in clifton on the A453 which is also conveniently going to be widened between junction 24 of the M1 (east midlands airport) and clifton which would make the ground closer to the airport and easier to access than pride park. Also the fact that phase 2 of the tram wil go to clifton and a big park and ride nearby makes this a very good choice for a world cup venue.

·
Kolymaaa
3,620 Posts
it makes me really sad to think the reds won't be playing next to the trent, but in the long term its a really positive thing for forest if this takes of, it could truely once and for all establish them as a major force in english football, not just trophy-wise, but financially, and fan base.

cant think where they would build it though - it would be a shame for people to visit clifton and relate it to nottingham - clifton is almost like a cut-off village, and pretty damn ugly too

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Personally i hope this will never happen. Its so nice to have a famous old stadium especially when there are so many souless new stadiums now. The City Ground must have old of the nicest settings along the trent but still only walking distance from the city centre.

There are 4 reasons that this idea has been put forward:

1. Moving to Clifton will put pressure on the government to fund the extension of the tram network.

2. The current City Ground site is owned by the council and obviously has major development potential (along the river) for apartments etc. Although there are swathes of land opposite the ground that haven't been developed yet.

3. If the Chairman agrees and the ground is funded by other parties then the club will be a more attractive takeover proposition.

4. To take the current heat off the chairman and manager for there failings to get forest promoted.

·
Tax avoider
24,140 Posts
Surely Forest could get close to 40,000 by redeveloping the Main Stand in the same style as the Brian Clough Stand and extending the upper tier of the Bridgford Stand (this would mean demolishing a couple of houses in Colwick Road, but I think NFFC own them anyway...)?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
With respect to NFFC this must be one of the most unnessecary developments going. The City ground is already large (30,000) and modern and can be expanded to close to 40,000 with a new main stand.

Forest are a big club and are underachieving, but they were also overacheiving when they won two european cups, and were a force in the top division. If the new ground came with a guarantee of success then maybe 40,000 plus would be needed, but otherwise there could be a lot of empty seats here.

All the best to the club anyway, but personally I've always liked the City Ground.

Word of warning too....Cardiff City were planning to build a new 60,000 stadium for years. It is finally coming to fruition as a circa.....27,000 capacity ground.

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
from a fans point of view - we need change. there is a constant atmosphere of whingeing, negativity and sentimentality attached to the club and the city ground, that we need to shed in order to move forward. bearing that in mind, full marks to the club for showing ambition and positive thinking.

from a community point of view - WHAT are you thinking of by building it in Clifton?! the stadium needs to be in or near the heart of the city, more in touch with the people who support it, and creating a passionate local support.

right idea, wrong location.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I agree with Jameswales. Is it april 1st? Why the hell would a club like Forest, who have a huge ground for their division, even be thinking about this? Surely getting back to a higher div is the priority at the moment. The City ground would still be mid-table in the prem IMO. I was up there last season watching City and thought it was a great venue.

·
Kolymaaa
3,620 Posts
from a fans point of view - we need change. there is a constant atmosphere of whingeing, negativity and sentimentality attached to the club and the city ground, that we need to shed in order to move forward
agreed, i always wondered why forest continue to let away fans in the bridgford lower, its by far the part of the ground that generates the most noise.

game after game, forest are outsung by 3 or 4 hundred fans, its a bit embarrasing, surely they could move the away fans somewhere else?

and what the hell happend to the trent end? they never sing bloody anything anymore, the only forest noise these days comes from a few fat baldies in the A block.

new ground could be a great idea, it seems to have worked for other teams.

right idea, wrong location.
too true, clifton is a shit hole

Why the hell would a club like Forest, who have a huge ground for their division, even be thinking about this
forest have still averaged over 20k for season after season despite the abysmal performances. give us a bigger ground, a bit of success and 40k is not that difficult to imagine? i reckon they'd fill 40,000 two or three times a season even at current performance levels, if it was an important match and they reduced prices a bit.

look at leeds - they struggle to get 20,000 these days. and as for derby or leicester, if they had had the bad time we've had, their gates would probably be below 10,000 by now

·
1,226 Posts
The City Ground is in 21st position when comes to capacity of the English league clubs, so it has dropped down a fair bit in recent years.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surely Forest could get close to 40,000 by redeveloping the Main Stand in the same style as the Brian Clough Stand and extending the upper tier of the Bridgford Stand (this would mean demolishing a couple of houses in Colwick Road, but I think NFFC own them anyway...)?
Well the Brian Clough Stand holds around 9k and the current mainstand around 5.5k so to get up to 40k a new main stand would have to hold 15k which would be massive, similar size to that stand at west ham. And with Derby having plans for an increase to 44k a 40k Forest ground would be overlooked for a future world cup. I dont know how the could get the current ground up to 50k without major work. The land the city ground is worth a fortune too so thats another reason for the move

·
Registered
65 Posts
How much is land worth

Well the Brian Clough Stand holds around 9k and the current mainstand around 5.5k so to get up to 40k a new main stand would have to hold 15k which would be massive, similar size to that stand at west ham. And with Derby having plans for an increase to 44k a 40k Forest ground would be overlooked for a future world cup. I dont know how the could get the current ground up to 50k without major work. The land the city ground is worth a fortune too so thats another reason for the move
Cant imagine the land at the City Ground is worth much more than say 20 million. Building one new stand will cost at least 20m, The plans shown look similar to the Emirates. Id estimate a 50,000 new stadium would cost at least 100m to 200m.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who knows the exact figure but ive heard its a lot, its crying out for luxury flats with a view over looking the river and Trent Bridge (bridge not cricket ground)

·
Robin Hood
5,171 Posts
I think the land is definitely 20 mil plus, falling right in the middle of a regeneration zone as well... Any developers would be eagar to sweep that land up...

Its an excellent prospect for any developer and if they move the stadium I hope they come up with something great for the present stadium

·
Tax avoider
24,140 Posts
According to Wikipedia (i.e. could all just be made up):

Brian Clough Stand: 9,820[1]
Bridgford Stand: 7,710
Main Stand: 5,708
Trent End: 7,338

[1] Worked out by subtracting other three from given total of 30,576

The Bridgford Stand has 5,131 on the lower tier and 2,579 on the truncated upper tier - if this was doubled to 5,000 the stand would hold 10,131, and you added 1,000 extra seats in the lower tier of the Trent End (by replacing the "goalpost" support with a stronger one with the posts further apart) you'd only need a main stand 20% bigger than the Brian Clough:

Brian Clough Stand: 9,820
Bridgford Stand: 10,131
Main Stand: 11,711
Trent End: 8,338

Total: 40,000

It might look "wrong" for the Bridgford Stand to hold more than the Brian Clough Stand, not being as wide or deep, but its capacity includes the seats wrapping around the corners on both levels...

Of course, this is squeezing every last possible seat into the current site and makes assumptions about permissions being granted, houses being demolished etc., but 40,000 is just possible. :)

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
could also add a tier to the BC stand.

i'd suggest any new stadium should be in or around the city centre, where the atmosphere and community would benefit more. the last thing fans want is a stadium in a business park, miles out from town - even with a tram link. it would result in the club distancing itself further from the fans both physically and psycologically.

there are some great potential sites - meadows gateway anyone? a few spots in Lenton/Dunkirk as well

·
Registered
106 Posts
I totally agree Ranny, the ground should be as close to the city centre as possible. Having a tram terminus at Clifton would be nice but it could only bring in a couple of thousand fans on matchdays, the vast majority will have to use cars to get there. Traffic will be terrible on the A453/Ring Road, dual carriageway or not.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Nottingham Forest stadium plans revealed - images

20 June, 2007

New housing and commercial development will be built with 50,000 capacity stadium

These are the first images of Nottingham Forest football club's new stadium planned for the Clifton area of the city.

Built in partnership with Wilson Bowden, the £40-45m stadium will have a capacity of up to 50,000 and will include new housing and commercial developments in Cliffton as well as "the latest in green technology and a new transport infrastructure".

Notting Forest, who have been at the club's ground on the River Trent since 1898, are planning to move to the new stadium by 2014.
- - - - - - - - - - --
Theres pics as well

www.building.co.uk

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to Wikipedia (i.e. could all just be made up):

Brian Clough Stand: 9,820[1]
Bridgford Stand: 7,710
Main Stand: 5,708
Trent End: 7,338

[1] Worked out by subtracting other three from given total of 30,576

The Bridgford Stand has 5,131 on the lower tier and 2,579 on the truncated upper tier - if this was doubled to 5,000 the stand would hold 10,131, and you added 1,000 extra seats in the lower tier of the Trent End (by replacing the "goalpost" support with a stronger one with the posts further apart) you'd only need a main stand 20% bigger than the Brian Clough:

Brian Clough Stand: 9,820
Bridgford Stand: 10,131
Main Stand: 11,711
Trent End: 8,338

Total: 40,000

It might look "wrong" for the Bridgford Stand to hold more than the Brian Clough Stand, not being as wide or deep, but its capacity includes the seats wrapping around the corners on both levels...

Of course, this is squeezing every last possible seat into the current site and makes assumptions about permissions being granted, houses being demolished etc., but 40,000 is just possible. :)

I cant remember off hand but the top end of the Bridgford currently goes over half way across more like two thirds I think. I believe the big stand at Upton Park holds around 15k so something similar would do here. Would be easier than developing the other stands too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts