SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your pics of power stations in this thread...

I love power station architecture - part of my fascination with urban decay and industrial decay.

Her'es some shots of White Bay Power Station in Sydney to start the thread off...

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Great Thread!

There are some great disused ones around, the buildings are absolutely amazing, can we count them in too?

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Tarong Power Station near Nanango north west of Brisbane

by michaelsieters @ Flickr

·
World's Happiest Person
7,154 Posts
Great thread, me personaly love the older power stations that dont run anymore.

East Perth Power Station, constructed between 1913 and 1916 and closed in December 1981.
It was going to be demolished for a new 60,000 seat stadium but another location was chosen but that did'nt even happen.
It had been Renovated but half done, It was going to be turned into Perth new Musem but another thing the Goverment has not done :)

South Fremantle Power Station

·
®
6,017 Posts
That South Fremantle Power Station ^^ has been used before on MTV by a few artisits I think...

I saw a "tour" on DVD with a heavy metal band or even death metal band which used that location. It was definately a Tour as they kept mentioning Perth, Western Australia on the same DVD for this location..... (not Fremantle) then it went to another city,

Isn't this also near or on the beach? This is a totally cool place for these kinds of things to be used... It's kinda iconic and shouldn't be demolished totally.... is it still owned by the govt? :lol: they'd be making some money from it if bands are using it still, unless they just walk/ break into there and just use it.... if it is abandoned.

·
Perth
1,921 Posts
That South Fremantle Power Station ^^ has been used before on MTV by a few artisits I think...

I saw a "tour" on DVD with a heavy metal band or even death metal band which used that location. It was definately a Tour as they kept mentioning Perth, Western Australia on the same DVD for this location..... (not Fremantle) then it went to another city,

Isn't this also near or on the beach? This is a totally cool place for these kinds of things to be used... It's kinda iconic and shouldn't be demolished totally.... is it still owned by the govt? :lol: they'd be making some money from it if bands are using it still, unless they just walk/ break into there and just use it.... if it is abandoned.
Fear Factory - Cyberwaste

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18toi_fear-factorycyberwaste_music

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Brisbane Powerhouse

Website - http://www.brisbanepowerhouse.org/

Located at Newfarm, the former power station is now a performing arts venue and also has several restaurants and bars.

The building was constructed between 1926 and 1940, and served as a power station until 1971. Brisbane City Council gained ownership of the site in 1989.

The powerhouse was officially opened in it's current form in 2000.

These shots were taken back in 2006 during a uni event.

·
Registered
76,982 Posts
years ago i wanted to create a power station thread but realised the chimney thread will feature most of them.anyway
i also love industrial architecture. probably my fav type,.
many are art deco influenced. love the cavernous interiors.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
South Freo Power Station is awesome

Derelict definitely beats restored :D

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Queensland's largest coal fired power station produces 20% of Queensland's electrical needs.
Sited next to Qlds Busiest Harbour and largest multi cargo port the station supplies power to the world's largest Alumina refinery, Australia's largest aluminium smelter, Australia's largest cement plant and Greater Gladstone, Australia's fastest growing "industrial" city.

·
Registered
76,982 Posts
^those 3 stacks are each 153m.
the tremendous brick stacks of Tandanya were real landmarks in adelaide and should have remained. or atleast the larger original stack from 1902.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
brisbane's old 'white bay' was torn down for the new tennyson tennis centre a couple of years ago. anyone got a pic?

there's also another brick classic on gibson island, but it is still in operation as something else now.

·
Happy now...
676 Posts
Wow had to post this check it out White Bay Sydney Harbour around 1930

What an lovely filthy industrial landscape

1 - 20 of 49 Posts