Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have more info about the flats and how they originally look? And more info about the London flats which insipired the ones in S'pore. Web sites, books, etc? I've just bought a unit... and any recommendations for 30s-50s interior design books?

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
hi route16

welcome to the forum :)

I dont know much about the history of these flats except they were built in the 1930s by the SIT...

but I think theyre really cool..especially the old world charm of Tiong Bahru estate

there are many pics of it posted here..have you seen them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
redstone said:
I got tons of pictures would try posting it over the next few days here.... :D
That would be great! I've got myself a apt on Tiong Poh and would be keen to make contact with others who are similarly interested in the estate's architecture and such.

·
Lurker
14,081 Posts
Tiong Bahru Conservation Area

Bounded by Seng Poh Road, Outram Road and Tiong Poh Road, the area was given conservation status on 1 December 2003. It is the first public housing estate in Singapore and comprises 20 blocks of 2- to 5-storey pre-war public housing flats built by the Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT)in the 1930s. There are also the 2-storey Transitional style shophouses along Tiong Bahru Road built in the same period as the flats and the 1- to 4-storey Art Deco style shophouses along Outram Road built in the early 1940s.

They have a very unique style highly influenced by the Shophouse style, featuring airwells, rear courts and rear staircases. But it also has internal staircases.

Inside is rather confusing and very stuffy in the common areas...

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
I thought I remember reading somewhere before that they wanted to convert some of these old flats in the Tiong Bahru area into budget accomodation.

Heres an overview of the area, seen on the left:

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
hyacinthus said:
nice pano. I haven't been there for a long time. Looks like an interesting area to explore. :)
Thanks..but the pano is getting old..the skyline has changed by now...:cool:

I havent actually walked through the area..might be good to walk around :yes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hang Huo to develop budget hotel in Singapore - 13 August 2003
Hang Huo Enterprise has clinched an S$280,000 tender to convert two blocks of conservation flats in Tiong Bahru, Singapore, into a budget hotel. The China-based company outbid four other parties for the project and plans to invest up to S$30 million to provide over 400 rooms. According to the company's Vice President and Head of Business Development Felix Wee, one of the blocks would be a budget service apartment and the other larger block will be a budget hotel.

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4016855.html

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
route16 said:
Hang Huo to develop budget hotel in Singapore - 13 August 2003
Hang Huo Enterprise has clinched an S$280,000 tender to convert two blocks of conservation flats in Tiong Bahru, Singapore, into a budget hotel. The China-based company outbid four other parties for the project and plans to invest up to S$30 million to provide over 400 rooms. According to the company's Vice President and Head of Business Development Felix Wee, one of the blocks would be a budget service apartment and the other larger block will be a budget hotel.

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4016855.html
any pics of the blocks?

are they the ones across the road next to where some older blocks were recently demolished?

1 - 20 of 787 Posts