SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE PREAKNESS PARADE - BALTIMORE

It's Preakness time in Baltimore again! For those that don't know, the Preakness is a horse race run at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore that is known as "the middle jewel" of the Tripple Crown. The other two races that are part of the tripple crown are the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes. The horse race will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2006. There was a parade on Saturday, May 13, 2006 that went down the West side of downtown.

The West side used to be Baltimore's shopping and entertainment district. There were 4 huge department stores, and many many theaters located in that area. It started declining during the 1960's and today it is getting a massive makeover. There are projects totaling several billion dollars of new investment currently in the works. All the department stores have been now been renovated, and many of the other old buildings near them are being converted to apartments, condominiums, and offices. The old Hippodrome Theater just underwent a $100 million makeover and has now reoppened to host Broadway Plays.
http://www.france-merrickpac.com/history/index.html

Several years ago, the city of Baltimore moved the Preakness Parade to the West side as a way to increase the visibility of this neighborhood. Below are shots from the parade on Saturday. I think the Westside is going to make it!

YA GOTTA HAVE HORSES!

AND WITH HORSES, COME STAGE COACHES

WHAT'S A PARADE WITHOUT BALLOONS?

AND PATRIOTISIM

AND THE MILITARY

AND BANDS - LOTS OF THEM

AND STEPPING GROUPS - SHE'S LARGE BUT SHE KEPT UP!

AND SQUARE DANCERS

DID I MENTION THERE WERE BANDS?

BATMAN KEPT US ALL SAFE

WHILE ANOTHER BUILDING TURNS INTO CONDOMINIUMS

YOU CAN READ ABOUT IT HERE!

WHILE DRINKING YOUR STARBUCKS

·
18,158 Posts
nice pictures. i'm going to have to pick barbaro to win this time; i put $25 on him to win the derby and the final payout was 6.10 or so. so i am going to use some of the winnings and bet on him again. barbaro is the third philly horse in as many years to make an impact on the triple crown (afleet alex and smarty jones are the other two horses). barbaro was born in west grove, pennsylvania (in southern chester county); trains in fair hill, maryland (near elkton); and won his first race at delaware park here in new castle county.

the pictures of the parade look nice. how many stagecoaches did they have for the parade? i saw quite a few in the lawn parade at point-to-point last week, and they were all nice to look at. i am sure the ones you saw were just as picturesque.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I was nervous when I saw that the parade route was over on the Westside, but you shot the area really well.

I'll be a happy man when the Abell Building is done.

·
1,768 Posts
Great pics, wada. The Hippodrome and Lexington Market make really nice backdrops. I see I sacrificed that for less crowds where I was, farther north on Eutaw though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Great to see Abell building construction

One of the key projects to finally start on the Westside. A resturaunt on the level of Prime Rib or Tio Pepe's may work well there with the 760 room Convention Center Hotel going up down the street.

waj0527 said:
I was nervous when I saw that the parade route was over on the Westside, but you shot the area really well.

I'll be a happy man when the Abell Building is done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts