Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boosting DC's image
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JBG Cos. wants to demolish a Four Points by Sheraton Hotel that it owns at the corner of 12 & K Streets downtown and build a marquee office / retail building that is designed by Lord Richard Rogers and Partners. This architectural group is based in London.

Richard Rogers has designed this building with some distinguishing design elements. They have separated the elevators / lifts from the building's floor plate so that the elevators / lifts stand at the side of the building in an orange tower. The building is designed to achieve LEED Silver certification from the US Green Building Council. The building will also feature sky lobbies and make the most out of natural light.

JBG Cos. also wants to put in a four-star restaurant on the ground floor of this building.

The architects are exploring the use of some innovative mechanical systems that use less energy and ensure comfort of the future tenants. The futuristic technologies that are being explored for use in this building may be used in other buildings designed around the world. This is what world class architecture gives us - the honor of leading from the front and not the following from the rear - mistakes or not!

Now, this particular section of downtown is getting filled with buildings that are designed by world-class architects that are continually trying to out-do each other with each and every new building coming out of the ground it seems. Interesting turn of events for DC.

I commend JBG Cos. for their vision and commitment to leading design and innovation.

Sectional perspective

Model photograph

Model photograph

Credit: Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
http://www.rsh-p.com

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's a lovely building. DC doesn't get the respect it deserves w/ respect to architecture. Sure, it's not the greatest and it can be a lot better and I'd love to see the height restriction removed outside the core, but too often people ask: How many different ways can you design a 12 story box? The answer is that there is pretty much a countless number of ways to do this and we ought to keep striving to stay cutting-edge and diverse. I'm glad that we're attracting more high quality architects.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That is a very very nice building. we have been working with Ellerbe Beckette on a project. I am very impressed with their DC office. It a like a 12'store polished granite and glass jewel box. Their interior space is phenomal as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts