Registered
814 Posts

·
Consumed
5,826 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Hi everyone, have there been any new developments regarding the introduction of trams along the former Longridge railway line? I remember Trampower was promoting a venture.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,309
It really would. Any kind of redevelopment for the Ringway as it stands is blocked by the fact it's routinely used as a diversion route for the M6, and needs to maintain the capacity to do so.

If this was suggested 10 years ago (which to be fair it was, and long before that) I would have laughed. But after being back in Preston at the weekend and driving down Broughton Bypass for the first time, seeing the Howick end of the Penwortham Bypass nearing completion, the Walton Park-Penwortham link road on the verge of opening, and ground being broken on the Western Distributor, it shows that finally we seem to be able to get things done in Preston.

I remember when the City Deal package was announced, I only expected maybe one or two of the schemes to go ahead, and yet here we are with around 70% of it delivered. My only disappointment is that the dualing of the A582 was largely curtailed, although I believe that LCC are applying for funds to complete this work.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,314
It does seem a little odd... its going to look bizarre viewed from the bus station!

It's being reported today that B&M in St John's Centre is closing down (not surprising given that they have a much bigger store literally 100m away!). Hopefully this might lead to a long overdue redevelopment of St John's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It does seem a little odd... its going to look bizarre viewed from the bus station!

It's being reported today that B&M in St John's Centre is closing down (not surprising given that they have a much bigger store literally 100m away!). Hopefully this might lead to a long overdue redevelopment of St John's.
I'm of the view that it would be much better if St John's was gone (or at least signifcantly remodelled) so that you had a clear view from the new Bus Station square to the markets.

You could open up the walk way in the middle of St. John's into a pedestrianised street and keep the shops on either side. It would certainly be much better than walking down the side of the Guild Hall.

5301 - 5315 of 5315 Posts