City of Preston: Projects List

Tithebarn Masterplan
Approval
Ward: City Centre
-£700m masterplan to rebuild run down quarter of city centre
-Involves around 50 new shops anchored by John Lewis
-Also new offices, apartments, eateries and a cinema
-Rebuilding of Victorian covered markets
-Involved demolition of several major buildings, including the bus station, St Johns Shopping Centre, indoor markets and Preston Office Centre
Architects: Building Design Partnership/Terry Farrell
Developers: Grosvenor Estates/Lend Lease

PROGRESS:
- Development agreement signed
- John Lewis signed on as anchor retailer
- Ground testing underway
- Talks with M&S to sign on as second anchor
- Cinecity signed up as Cinema operator

(Thanks to preston_guy for scanning image onto forums)

Church Place
Proposed
- Large scale redevelopment of the run down area in between the Tithebarn Zone and the city's clubbing heart on Church Street
- The scheme includes new offices, retail, apartments, and a public space
- The scheme would utilise the long disused former TSB bank
Developer: Ask/Bluemantle

Central Business District
Pre-Planning
Developer: N/A
Architect: Concept planning by Frank Whittle Partnership
-Large scale regeneration project to take place in the area of the city centre running along lower Friargate in between the Ringway and University
-The key aim of this project is to maximise Preston's potential as a key regional centre by providing quality office space in the city centre, something which is currently virtually non-existant
-Currently, the part of this project with the most substance is the Approved Corporation Street Gateway. However, with a detailed concept now launched, detailed planning can now begin.

The Linen Buildings
Approved
Developer: Countryside Properties
Architect:
-Large scale project to build a number of large residential building on the former Booths Headquarters site just of Queen Street
-The plans will include three towers of 18, 16 and 13-storeys high
-The masterplan will feature two major public spaces and one large retail unit at the bases of one of the buildings
-Planning application submitted. If permission is granted, developers hope to start construction later this year

LATEST: On hold while CP review all investments as a result of downturn.

Golden Tulip Hotel
Approved
- Plan for new hotel on the ringway on the site of a surface car park
- The building will be 10-storeys and have a public space in the middle with 2 retail units

LATEST: New plans submitted. Now includes 12-storey block of student accomodation

Adelphi Apartments
Proposed
- Plan for 6-storey apartment building on the site of the former Gas Apprentice building next to the BT building
- Would include a retail unit at ground level
Developers: McKenna Developments

Moor Heights Apartments
Under Construction
Ward: University
- 6-storey unnamed apartment building on Moor Lane
- The building sits on the site of the former Einstein Theory pub
- Contractors are Conlon

LATEST: Externally complete

Riverworks
In planning
Ward: Riversway Docklands/Ashton/City Centre/Fishwick/Penwortham East (SRBC)/Lower Penwortham (SRBC)/Lostock Hall (SRBC)
-£800m plans to redevelop the city's waterways, including the Lancaster Canal, River Ribble, River Darwen, Ribble Link Canal and the former Albert Edward Dock
-The plans include a tower in the dock basin
-Much of the current waterside retail park at Riversway will be demolished
-Floating cafes and new impressive waterfront buildings will be created
-Plans include a barrage to make the Ribble non-tidal
-A motorway link is also proposed from the M55 to the M6 junction at Bamber Bridge, creating a complete motorway ring road around the city
-Also included is a tramline running from Lostock Hall (inc Park and Ride) through the city centre to the Docklands
-New plans show a Central Park for the city and a landmark public art piece on the south side of the river
-Many of the city's major roadways would also be redeveloped including the Penwortham Bypass and the Dockland Carrigeway
Developers: Mersey Basins
Architects: Taylor Young

Fishergate 2
Approved
Developers: Agora Shopping Centres Ltd
Architect: DLG
-Huge redevelopment and expansion of the popular Fishergate Centre in the city centre

LATEST: Plans placed on hold due to economic slowdown

Winckley Sqaure Redevelopment
- Redevelopment of the historic Winckley Square gardens, brought on in light of large residential investment in recent years
- Includes a large fountain which could double up as a stage, and a number of interesting lighting features.

LATEST: Prep works underway

Glovers Court
Proposed
Developer:
Architect: Frank Whittle Partnership
-Large apartment development near Winckley Square
-Designed to cater for rental by local businessmen

SPAR James Hall and Co. Head Office
Under Construction
Ward: Garrison
-New office complex and distribution centre for James Hall & Co.
-Will be the largest building in Preston
-Relocation from small and outdated facility on Deepdale Road

Maudland Bank Marina/Lancaster Canal Extension
Proposed
-Plans by canal trust to bring the Lancaster Canal along its old origional route back into the city centre
-The plan includes a marina at Maudland Bank, near the main university building. The origional site now has student accomodation on it but fortunately, a second site has been found
-The plans also include the restoration of the Longride/Preston railway. This may be taken out as Preston Council is now looking at installing a tramline along that route
-The plan is part of a wider scheme by Preston council for improving the city's waterways, in co-operation with British Waterways
Architects: Preston City Link Canal Trust

LATEST: Now integrated into the Riverworks scheme

Sharoe Green Redevelopment/Preston Business Centre
Approved
Ward: Sharoe Green
-Transformation of the huge site of the former Sharoe Green hospital which closed down last year
-The massive project will be 50% residential provision, 40% healthcare provision and 10% business provision
-It is hoped the plans will create 240 new jobs
-Similar plans for the site we're turned down last year because the GONW mistakenly said that Preston was receiving an oversupply of housing.
-Preston CC may eventually decide to include a Park and Ride scheme in the project
-Sharoe Green Hospital contains many Victorian buildings. It is not yet clear which buildings will be demolished, but it doesnt look like the huge main building will go

LATEST: Construction progressing well.

Friargate Apartments
Approved
-Plans for 4-storey apartment block and cafe bar on one of the city's most up and coming streets to replace derelict social club
-Friargate Brow had millions spent on its regeneration last year to promote business in the area
-The plans follow an application to build a 3-storey bar on the street
-Friargate Brow is the main road into the city centre for students at the university, but has been cut off from the main body of the city centre by the Ringway dual-carriageway

LATEST: On hold

Canterbury Hall
Approved
-The creation of a 5-storey apartment and office block on the corner of North Road and St Georges Road
-The development would involve knocking down the now abandoned labour club, Canterbury Hall
-The building will be a U-shaped structure
-Planners are happy with the building but have asked developers to redesign the roof

LATEST: Site cleared

Corporation Street Gateway
Proposed
Architect: Wood Associates
Developer: Rhodi Group
-Large scale mixed use 13-storey development on the corner of Corporation Street and Ringway
-The site is currently occupied by 2 medium sized retailers and a car park
-It is hoped that the development will be all offices, but this may be cut down if there is not enough demand and replaced by apartments, and possibly a hotel
-The development will cost £30m

Avenham Street Apartment Development
Proposed
Developer: Salya Homes
Architect: Wood Associates
-Development of 9-storey apartment block on top of new shopping centre on site of surface car park on the edge of the city centre
-Would include retail and offices

LATEST: Height reduced from 13 to 9 storeys

Byron Apartment Scheme
Approved
Developer: Salya Develoments Ltd.
-Apartment scheme of 25 apartments contained in two blocks on the site of the former Byron Hotel
-This is one of several newbuild apartment schemes to be built on Grimshaw Street and in the general area around Church Street
-The plans are designed to compliment the Queen Street masterplan just opposite which will include a 24-storey hotel tower

Horrockses Quarter
Outline Approval
-Redevelopment of run down corner of the city centre
-New public sqaure and shops
-Recently submitted for outline planning permission
Architects: Cassidy + Ashton
Developers: Brookhouse Group

LATEST: Plans on hold

Flag Market Realm Redevelopment
Approved
Developer: PCC
Architect: Landscape Projects
- Public realm redevelopment of Preston's historic flag market
- Plans include additional planting of trees and new LCD advertising screens

LATEST: Funding bid underway

Corporation Street Student Village
Approved
Developer: Bretherton Homes/Marcus Worthington
Architect: De Pol Associates
- Plans to build a set of student cluster flats of up to 8-storeys along Corporation Street

LATEST: Plans approved. Site cleared.

Preston Train Station Redevelopment
Proposed/Under Construction
Developer: Virgin Trains
-Internal and External redevelopment of Preston's aging railway terminal
-Virgin aim to develop Preston as the flagship station in Lancashire
-The overhaul is set to include the replacement of footbridge steps with escalators and lifts to make it more passenger friendly, a brand new first class lounge, new toilets and passenger facilities and a complete renovation to spruce up its shoddy appearance.
-Also to include a new multi-storey car park which is currently U/C

Thank you to various flickr users for providing photos, especially eat_at_joes.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Nice, not much tall but some nice looking stuff, and a new stand for one team i have to admit I have taken a shhining to recently!

Any lancashire town thats cleaner than blackpool gets my vote.

·
Registered
417 Posts
WOW DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS SO MUCH GHOIN ON IN PRESTON!

Does ne 1 know what they are doin in that courtyard area opposite pizza express?walk past it evry day, could make a cool little area for bars.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
homesweethome said:
Does ne 1 know what they are doin in that courtyard area opposite pizza express?walk past it evry day, could make a cool little area for bars.
Yeah, I've seen that. I'm not sure to be honest. There are a lot of apartments going up in that area so I guess its that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have found out what they are building in that courtyard.

5 one bedroom house/flats. each sold for 180k according to the guy in the copy shop next door. so no bars. gutting!

·
Registered
930 Posts
You call those projects? There are more projects in Derby, Nottingham (10x more) Leicester, ect.

I’m going to purchase a Digital Camera in the next few weeks and when I get the Camera I will take pictures of all the projects going around Nottingham, Leicester and other close Cities.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Insignia said:
You call those projects? There are more projects in Derby, Nottingham (10x more) Leicester, ect.
Oh really? You have very little to show for it...
You're all just talk Insignia...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Insignia, I don't give a flying f*ck who's got more projects. I live in Preston and these projects are what immediately concern me. I like to see what other cities have to offer (with respect) and some of them may interest me and prompt a visit. But slagging off other places is sooo lame. So zip it.

·
Shenzhenese
777 Posts
Stumble on Preston... WoW... it is in Detail & updated.... Preston is A borough of northwest England north-northeast of Liverpool. The Jacobites surrendered here after an uprising in 1715. Population, 125,800.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Preston_guy said:
Insignia, I don't give a flying f*ck who's got more projects. I live in Preston and these projects are what immediately concern me. I like to see what other cities have to offer (with respect) and some of them may interest me and prompt a visit. But slagging off other places is sooo lame. So zip it.
I was only joking about Derby and Leicester having more developments (they clearly don't!), Nice projects btw.

G

·
You really have listed evey single project in Preston... If we did that for our citys (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol etc) we would be here for ages... Good job though, Some nice projects and buildings...

Preston??? Is that the same as Preston North End FC?

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You really have listed evey single project in Preston... If we did that for our citys (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol etc) we would be here for ages... Good job though, Some nice projects and buildings...

Preston??? Is that the same as Preston North End FC?
Such bitterness... you may be right, but that doesnt change that fact that Bristol cant justify its own subforum and our thread is more successful! :D

G

·
Uh-oh, n00b ALERT!
Dude Grow up... Noob Alert... My god how old are you 10? I know you think you will be funny by saying yeah im 10 but come one... You must realise that it sounds alittle stupid writing "uh-oh n00b ALERT!"... and you spelt noob with 2 Zeros... my god your sad... You've got 90ish posts on this site, Are any actully relevent or are they all to do with noob alerts? IDIOT!!! Good Luck in Life (In General, Your going to need it)...

G

·
Such bitterness... you may be right, but that doesnt change that fact that Bristol cant justify its own subforum and our thread is more successful! :D
To the other post (Acura)... I wasnt taking the piss... I was just saying you must have taken ages to post all thoses developments... but you are right Bristol has got a lot more going on than Preston... Mind you its like 6 time the size of Preston... We just dont have alot of people on this site I suppose...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts