13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Preston
County: Lancashire
Region: North West England
City population: 124,000
Metro Population: 329,000

Facts:
- Preston only became a city in 2001 as part of Queen Elizebeth II Jubilee Celebrations and currently holds the title of 'England's Newest City'
- The Preston conurbation is spread out through 6 boroughs. These are Preston, Chorley, South Ribble, Wyre, Ribble Valley and Fylde.
- Preston has the UK's sixth largest university, the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN)
- Preston is the administrative centre of the Lancashire county, although the historic city of Lancaster is the traditional capital.
- Preston is the 3rd city of North West England, behind Manchester and Liverpool.
- Preston is the heart of the UK's aerospace industry with 2 massive plants on the outskirts of the city.
- Our football club, Preston North End FC were one of the founding members of the first ever football/soccer league and were the first ever league winners.
- The UK's national football museum is in Preston.
- Preston has the largest bus station in Europe (excluding Istanbul)
- Preston Dock is the largest single dock basin in Europe.
- The UK's first ever motorway/freeway was built here and was called the Preston Bypass (now part of the M6)
- J.R.R Tolkien's son went to Stoneyhurst College on the Preston outskirts.
- The actor who plays R2D2 in Star Wars lives here :yes:
- Preston has the tallest parish church in Britain at 95m
- Preston is one of the smaller cities in the UK

Photos:

Couple of my own pics:

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
The city itself is quite impressive (I liked the facts & figures you posted), but the skyline is still fairly sparse. It definitely has potential though. Give it another 10-20 years and maybe it will start looking more like Birmingham or Manchester. :)

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I don't see a skylne, really...but the taller buildigns I did see were'nt that bad.

6/10

·
Like 'Berg'
6,849 Posts
On a clear day, driving along the motorway just before driving over the Ribble River, if your look to the left you see amongst the tree-filled hills a quite imposing skyline.. I'm not sure how Preston actually manages this, but from there you can actually see a bold skyline. The towers aren't bad considering the era they went up.. I definately see potential for more buildings in Preston.. Maybe we wont see anything higher than 30 stories, But I don't feel we need to.. I think Preston should just have a load of mid-rises personally...

Anyway, that somewhat uninspiring skyline yup yonder is now my second home.. and I'll be back there next week, shall have a digi cam this time so Accura, I'll make sure to get some shots of my flat view :)

·
dE/dm
2,417 Posts
That sunset photo is absolutely stunning. The skyline is okay, although it suffers from the poor quality of 60's buildings. Shame there is nothing new planned over 10 stories.

6/10

·
Registered
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another little picture

Talisker said:
Shame there is nothing new planned over 10 stories.
There is now lol:

There are also a couple of buildings in the Tithebarn plan around 12-storeys, including a hotel. It also looks like we will be seeing talls in the new Docklands masterplan.

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
6/10

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
any chances you can stick the proposed 24 storey tower on that accy?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
preston is getting higher ratings than manchester! and accura, that looks top, can't wait till i can see that beast whilst goin up the M6.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts