SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I lived in east Orlando up until December. I moved back to my home town of NYC and am lookin to buy a condo back down in Florida again. Probably to secure another property as a rental as well as future residence. Now... I lived in Orlando for 3 years but I wanted a little advice from people who know the greater Florida a little better than I.

I'm lookin to find a condo in a place that is growing and has a bright future. Now, although I know Orlando pretty well, and I know it is growing fast, I don't know if the same applies to all the other major cities south of Orlando. Does anyone know areas further south well enough to know if they are also viable options with bright futures like Orlando, yet still cheap enough to still get? I take it that some people on here know the other areas equally well or at least better than I and can add some valuable input. thanks all...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Downtown St. Petersburg - Condo units are still starting in the mid 200k to 300k range like the sage, the edge, citi lofts, the heights at madison, W condo tower, the madison...I can go on and on, look in the Pinellas section...I live in downtown and driving from I-275 and getting onto I-175 towards downtown, you would be amazed at the amount of cranes, just packed from one side to the other.

Downtown Tampa - Where do I start, its St. Petersburg on roids. Cranes everywhere and more than 50 projects/towers under construction/planned/approved with most to be completed by the 2008 GOP Convention and then the 2009 Superbowl, this does not include the Central Park and The Heights Projects which include many towers. A certain large bank that is also behind central park is moving its Florida operations and headquarters back to Tampa after a short stint in Jax. Look up the Tampa section...many projects are well under construction and many more are on their way or just finished...many more units than downtown Orlando. The entire area from Downtown to Westshore has a ton of condos under construction....

Downtown Clearwater - Believe it or not, it has two projects under construction, watersedge from opus(taller than than the BofA tower in DT St. Pete) and grand central station by amon....they also have a development going in near the library that consists of many 15-20 story towers. A much better deal than Downtown Clearwater because its in an earlier development stage. The Scientology church is going to open the power center which will bring every single person that wants to join this certain level go through that building for the world....they will fill and bring many of the condo projects...many of the ones proposed are by church members, and many will live there. They promised an amazing city for its headquarters...plus this has added other private developers outside of the church.

Clearwater Beach - Just amazing transformation and development gone insane....the entire beach is being bulldozed to make way for many new condo/retail/urban stores. Beach By Design is under way, which will turn the parking lots and gulf blvd into a winding Miami Beach like walkway, with winding walkways and roads it will become a more "tourist" road...the road behind Gulf will become the main route if you want to just go through Clearwater Beach. You can find a good deal if you look....

Barrier Islands in Pinellas - Same as above, with two urban publix's planned with parking on one floor, and two floors above, this concept is actually about to be used in many parts of pinellas and hillsboroughs urban areas...St. Petersburg beach is working on easing its height limits and allowing a much more dense beach projects....a flood of developers are actually sitting on this one.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would stick to suburb condos and townhomes, which are still very affordable if you stay far enough from the city (fifteen to twenty miles will get you a steal). Not sure what that means for Orlando, but if you were to invest around Tampa, I would look in Central Pasco, NE Polk, and especially Southern Hillsborough/N Manatee. You can still find great deals out that way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies... So far clearwater/st. pete area seems like a nice alturnative. What about down south leading toward palm beach, ft L or heading toward Miami? Is the real estate down there just too expensive and not prime for growth?

·
Registered
715 Posts
There are some good investment oppurtunities in North Florida as well, though I am not an expert. I'd look into towns that Dover, Kohl & Partners (the New Urbanist people) are working on. Their website has a bunch of studies of small towns that have great potential for urban growth. You should see what they've done with Kendall in the past 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
715 Posts
AirJay78 said:
Thanks for the replies... So far clearwater/st. pete area seems like a nice alturnative. What about down south leading toward palm beach, ft L or heading toward Miami? Is the real estate down there just too expensive and not prime for growth?
There is still profit to be made in South Florida. Because of the limited amount of land and steady population growth you can expect property value to increase pretty steadily as well. We have a few investors in the Miami forum that could definitely give you better advice on the South Florida market than I.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Channelside area in downtown Tampa is a sure bet. ALL studies and projections peg this area as "THE" major growth market in the entire SE.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I would love for Tampa to really realize its full potential. Does anyone know what is the current status for the History Museum in Channelside?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts