Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from Prince William county, Va? Would like to learn more about the area. I plan on looking for a new place to live. Plan on working in DC/MD but would like to live in Va. So commute from PW county to DC isn't bad.

I would like to know what are some pros and cons of Prince Williams county and what are good areas to live in? I've been looking at Woodbrige so far...

Will be visiting there soon.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
If you are planning on working in DC/MD you are honestly better off living in MD as traffic congestion in Northern Virginia is no joke. That being said if you are still interested in living in Prince William County for whatever reason and still plan on working in MD/DC, I recommend finding a place that is relatively close by to a VRE station but be prepared for a long grueling commute regardless.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Woodbridge isn't very nice at all. I have particularly bad feelings about the place because I burned up the engine of my favorite truck sitting in traffic on Route 1 (trying to avoid the traffic on 95).

I'm only familiar with the rt 1 corridor. I assume it can be nice off of the main roads. The land is pretty. There's that. The west side of 95 is probably nicer but further away from mass transit.

Just come further south. After your trip to Richmond, you aren't going to want to live in DC anymore (not really, DC can be pretty great ).

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woodbridge isn't very nice at all. I have particularly bad feelings about the place because I burned up the engine of my favorite truck sitting in traffic on Route 1 (trying to avoid the traffic on 95).

I'm only familiar with the rt 1 corridor. I assume it can be nice off of the main roads. The land is pretty. There's that. The west side of 95 is probably nicer but further away from mass transit.

Just come further south. After your trip to Richmond, you aren't going to want to live in DC anymore (not really, DC can be pretty great ).

I looked into Stafford county but the commute from there to DC is at least 1.5 hours + traffic (so for now out of the question). Prince William county being closer to DC I think is more doable, and from what I've been reading a nice up and coming place. Any ways still searching. Also looking into Fairfax county if I can find a reasonable deal.

Why isn't Woodbridge nice? Any areas of Prince Williams County you do think are nice?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Again, I'm only familiar with what I've seen along 95 and route 1. That part isn't nice because it is comprised of terrible 60's and 70's leapfrog development. Lots of abandoned and outdated strip malls with little to no landscaping. I've heard locals refer to it as Hoodridge. It is a big county so I'm sure that there is much, much more to it. It should have nice areas along the rivers and creeks and the topography is nice (heavily wooded, rolling hills).

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Occoquan is 1/430th of Prince William County's population though. It's practically a hamlet compared to Manassas, Dale City or Woodbridge/Marumsco

Yeah it looks like a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, and yeah it's pretty much a fishing village.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I love Occoquan. It's not like you're in the middle of nowhere.....you get the best of both worlds. That small town, picturesque appeal with all of the amenities of the big city not far away.

I agree with Spencer concerning Hoodridge. My alma mater, VCU, is comprised of a Northern Virginia student body that hovers around 40% of all students. Many of them are from Woodbridge and I have never heard anything nice about the area. They also tended to fit the stereotypes of the place....aka, not the best roommates. lol.

I would consider Occoquan or even Quantico. But that's my own personal likes....good luck on the search!

·
Illuminati Leader
6,057 Posts
I love Occoquan. It's not like you're in the middle of nowhere.....you get the best of both worlds. That small town, picturesque appeal with all of the amenities of the big city not far away.

I agree with Spencer concerning Hoodridge. My alma mater, VCU, is comprised of a Northern Virginia student body that hovers around 40% of all students. Many of them are from Woodbridge and I have never heard anything nice about the area. They also tended to fit the stereotypes of the place....aka, not the best roommates. lol.

I would consider Occoquan or even Quantico. But that's my own personal likes....good luck on the search!
I always thought of Quantico as a dumpty, military area. Really ugly really. The only advantage I think is Amtrak goes through the area (and maybe VRE too?). I agree about Occoquan (other than my caveat about its size). I think Lake Ridge (close to Woodbridge but nicer) is also another good bet.

·
Banned
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Been researching more and looking at homes, a lot of people I know referred to Woodbridge as "Hoodbridge" and suggesting it's a troubled are. I may have to look into Fairfax county or other places in PW county, still searching. Also looking into Reston which looks like a nice urban area.

·
Past is future
12 Posts
Reston, FFX vs PW County.

Been researching more and looking at homes, a lot of people I know referred to Woodbridge as "Hoodbridge" and suggesting it's a troubled are. I may have to look into Fairfax county or other places in PW county, still searching. Also looking into Reston which looks like a nice urban area.
Much nicer area but still a long commute.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts