Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Priority should be:
1) Effective Transport.
2) Creating a Buzz feeling when walking around the city.
3) Marketing the city.
4) Promote more than just the city centre (Kirkstall Abbey ect..).
5) Ensure that the correct businesses are moving into the city centre (EG. NO KFC).
6) More Pedestrianised Streets.
7) Work on a USP for Leeds and Iconic Things.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Again, I suggest that there are many events going on in the city that people from the city just simply do not know are happening, never mind people from outside the city.

Lets fly more Union Flags around the city, helping to give more of a Capital City Feel. Signpost the city better, including major company's to show off the city's businesses. Eg. Add 'The Bank of England' to new signposts, Add 'Department of Work and Pensions and Department of Health' ect....
Signposts should not just be leading to street names only... plus company's could bid to be on them (having limited spaces of course), effectively paying for each signpost.

We also need to clear up the grimy parts of the city such as eastgate, lower briggate ect...

Lets make Light night every night! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4qUfJOm8I

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that Leeds can promote the attractions outside of the city centre without having good transport to them. Tbus will do that for the Thackary Museum.

I don't agree about flying more Union flags. Don't mind Yorkshire flags though.

Alot of work goes into Light Night. I don't think it would be possible to hold it every night, but there definitely should be a more comprehensive city centre arts programme.

Leeds is getting better signposting with the Legible Leeds project, being overseen by the Leeds Initiative.

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The USP always was shopping. Not so much anymore- Leeds could pick it back up if Trinity is completed.

It seemed for a time that Leeds could become a culinary destination. That was with the proposal for Fifteen, as well as the CornX and the Taste festival. Leeds could try and push that.

There's also markets. Leeds has a long history of markets- surely Kirkgate Market has more history behind it than any other major markets in the north. Kirkgate Market could be complemented by street markets, craft markets etc. The artsmix markets on the riverside this weekend were good and gave the river a festival atmosphere.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
I don't think it would be possible to hold it every night.
Why not... The Major things like projections and buildings lit up could be permanent. I also think that it would be nice to have a Leeds City Carnival Party... basically an arts based party across the city centre during the day time. with stalls in Millennium Sq, and all the other Sq's too! and music playing everywhere.

One thing that would be nice to do would be to have large screens in several places and cameras watching major parts of the city been shown live on a rotation on the screens. it would encourage people to explore the rest of the city and see what's going on in different locations. eg. a Camera on Briggate, Mel Square, city square, d sq, central sq ect...

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes but then that is just one installation. Light Night is made up of a comprehensive programme of many different arts. The participating organisations often put months into things- it would not be possible to have many of the performing arts, exhibitions, music etc every night.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i think the main priorties are:
1 - The Completion of an arena
2 - A decent transport system we can brag about
3 - trinity quater OR Eastgate
4 - better transport to Leeds Bradford airport. maybe a bypass road or orbital motorway that passes by
5 - Lumiere

i could go on and on but i wont. lol

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
i think the main priorties are:
1 - The Completion of an arena
2 - A decent transport system we can brag about
3 - trinity quater OR Eastgate
4 - better transport to Leeds Bradford airport. maybe a bypass road or orbital motorway that passes by
5 - Lumiere

i could go on and on but i wont. lol
Spot on, but I would also add upgraded ring road to dual carriageway around Leeds

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also think that Holbeck Urban Village and Clarence Dock need to be properly advertised as quarters of the City Centre rather than other districts outside the City Centre.

Brewery Wharf and Granary Wharf have helped/will help to link them to the retail and financial districts but that is only part of the job.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I also think that Holbeck Urban Village and Clarence Dock need to be properly advertised as quarters of the City Centre rather than other districts outside the City Centre.

Brewery Wharf and Granary Wharf have helped/will help to link them to the retail and financial districts but that is only part of the job.
How many quarters can Leeds have? You're suggesting Holbeck Urban Village quarter, Clarence Dock quarter, you've previously referred to the Civic quarter, University quarter, Shopping quarter, Financial quarter, Mabgate quarter too.

Sorry, I've probably made a few of those up but I would bet I'd missed some off too. We'll have to go with Civic tenth and shopping tenth.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
How many quarters can Leeds have? You're suggesting Holbeck Urban Village quarter, Clarence Dock quarter, you've previously referred to the Civic quarter, University quarter, Shopping quarter, Financial quarter, Mabgate quarter too.

Sorry, I've probably made a few of those up but I would bet I'd missed some off too. We'll have to go with Civic tenth and shopping tenth.

I think we've been over this before. Leeds can have as many quarters as it wants, since the word in this contest comes from the French "quartier" meaning a district or an area.

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would hardly say Mabgate is a quarter, but the retail, financial and civic quarters are well established and people know them as such. The concept has worked in creating a well organised city centre that is easy to navigate, and should be built upon by establishing Holbeck Urban Village, the Central Riverside and Clarence Dock as quarters or districts of the City Centre rather than separate destinations.

It will be even easier to do this once NGT is implemented.

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.guardian.co.uk/leeds/2010/oct/18/leeds-city-centre-vision-conference

It's time to celebrate Leeds, city centre conference is told
* Event hears of major developments, new shopping centres and arena
* Community involvement, opening up city, big business, festive lights, litter and elected mayor discussed
* How can Leeds become 'best city in the UK'? What's your vision for the future of the city centre?

What does Leeds city centre offer you? Photograph: Darren Cronian

Leeds needs to celebrate its unique identity and independent spirit, be bold, and avoid becoming a clone city.

Those were just some of the themes to emerge from a day-long conference to discuss the future of Leeds city centre.

The second Leeds City Centre Vision conference gave delegates from both the private and public sector the chance to focus on moving the city centre forward. Leeds council chief executive Tom Riordan said:

"The vision for the city is to be the best in the UK."

But be the best at what?

The conference, held at the Royal Armouries, heard about the major new shopping developments planned for Leeds, such as Trinity Leeds and Eastgate Quarters, and the new Leeds Arena - which collectively mean a £1.25bn investment into Leeds in the coming years. A new city centre park and the redevelopment of the city's south bank area was also paramount to the city's success, the 300 delegates were told.

But the key, said Riordan, was to reconnect the city centre with local communities and ensure they benefitted from the new development.

Riordan said:

"We have to convince the people living in Leeds that the city centre is theirs and that it is not just a place where people go and work in offices. We have to be innovative, we have to work with the third sector and with people who have got lots of energy and get more people into the city centre.

"How do we get more familites into the city centre? Do people have somewhere green to go to eat their sandwiches at lunchtime? How do we get things like the Chapeltown Market into the city? We need to mix it up a bit. I think this is what the next phase is all about. The end product will be much better and much richer if we inject people into the equation.

"We can't work in silos any more, we must collaborate to make Leeds a success."

Leeds' independent spirit highlighted

Council leader Keith Wakefield said that celebrating Leeds' unique identity was key to future prosperity and pointed to the historic arcades and the market as unique strengths which meant that Leeds had avoided becoming a 'clone city'. He said:

"I go to Manchester and Birmingham and so on and I am aware that we cannot all look the same. The strength of Leeds is that it doesn't look like other cities.

"I have had a very close relationship with the traders at Kirkgate Market over the past few months. The market is an important part of the mix. We have to remember the market is a niche for people who can't afford Harvey Nichols or the Victoria Quarter."

Wakefield said the key way forward for him was working 'cheek by jowl' with local communities like inner city Little London - a matter of metres away from the new Leeds Arena - to make sure that residents benefit from development, jobs, skills and prosperity.

'Collaboration a key'

Wakefield said that collaboration was a key to moving the city centre forward. He added:

"It's not about standing alone, it is about sharing with the voluntary and prviate sector. We're all facing a difficult financial climate. We have got to share buildings and agendas and be inclusive. I am sure we as a city can do that and become sttronger for it."

He also said that economically Leeds was forecast to outperform Paris and Milan in coming years and was starting to move ahead of other major European cities.

Issues including access for disabled people and truly reflecting the city's diversity were also raised at Friday's conference.

Does Leeds need an elected mayor?

Sir Richard Needham, international director at Dyson, said that if Leeds was serious about moving up a league, it needed to seriously consider having an elected mayor which could act as a catalyst to push it on to 'greater things'. The former Conservative politician said:

"Just look what Rudy Giuliani did for New York after 9/11. Whether you agree with their politics or not, look at what Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson have done for London.

"They're catalysts for success. It would give Leeds a change in focus."

Needham said Leeds should go on and hold a 'year-long party' to celebrate the city.

Leeds needs a 'can do' attitude

Nigel Foster, chairman of the Leeds Chamber of Commerce Property Forum, highlighted that city centre shopping had to offer something different to attract people in a bid to compete with the rise of online shopping.

He said a sustainable Leeds should adopt a 'can do' attitude and become one of the top 10 cities in Europe by 2020.

But he said some of the issues that need to be tackled includes infrastructure around the city and a lack of investment in transport. He also pointed to litter on the city's streets, the need for better Christmas lights and the need to revitalise Leeds Station.

Evert Verhagen, chief executive of Creative Cities, said that the world is about cities, and the talent in them is what matters. He added:

"You are unique, you don't have to do the same thing as your neighbour."

Gerald Jennings, the regional portfolio director of Land Securities, which owns the White Rose Centre and is building Trinity Leeds, highlighted working with organisations like Art in Unusual Spaces as a positive way forward and said that there was a breadth and depth or arts organisation in Leeds that was 'under the radar' that summed up Leeds' unique identity.

He added:

"Retail in the city centre needs to offer more than what you would get through an online experience. Trinity Leeds will be outward looking and will create a sense of place."

Sally-Anne Greenfield, of the Leeds Community Foundation, said people from all communities and backgrounds needed to feel ownership and pride and that the city centre needed to be 'opened up'.

She said there needed to be a focus on diversity and fostering a city centre that's safe, holistic and welcoming that narrows the gap betwen the rich and poor. There needed to be 'proper' partnership working and greenspace that could be used by people from outlying areas.

The afternoon session at the event featured a number of workshops looking at specific city centre issues such as the South Bank.

·
Registered
30,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No but I'm regretting not going. Some interesting issues seem to have been brought up, and I'm getting the vibe that the ambition Leeds had in the 90s is starting to return; perhaps led on by construction starting to pick up in the city.

Some things to highlight:
*The South Bank redevelopment seems to have risen from just a discussion point a few months ago to high on the agenda
*There is an increasing focus on making Leeds an accessible city for everyone; the reference to Chapeltown Market for example.
*Need for better Christmas Lights, improvements at City Station and less litter

·
Coconutmacaroon
132 Posts
Yes, I went. It was an interesting experience. Hilary Benn was there, though I didn't see him. Sir Richard Needham's speech was entertaining and the whole thing was very positive and encouraging, but I was a bit disappointed by the lack of any specific plans. No new announcements. The guy from Land Securities just mentioned tenants we already know have signed up and despite the park and arena being mentioned frequently, everything was vague. The whole thing was characterised by the idea of public participation and various sectors working together. Lots of nice ideas, I just hoped for something more concrete.

I was on the Southbank workshop in the afternoon and although generally positive - it was all about what the park would achieve, i.e. connecting communities with the city centre - no actual plans were introduced beyond what is already in the draft planning guide, which is very vague anyway. We talked about moving the loop and bus stations/stops in various places, but I got the sense it was all just talk and not much will happen for a very long time due to costs. Good day though. Free lunch :-D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts