SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 5294 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Not nearly as bad as I expected, in fact, I'm surprised. The city is looking as beautiful as Pristina could be expected to look. Far cleaner, colorful - I suppose it's been getting more attention now that it's a de-facto capital.

The mosques need a good coat of paint - but I suppose paint is banned under their newly radicalized Islam?

Overall, I'm pleased. It reminds me of Zenica; still a hideous, industrial city that will never be a destination for domestic or international tourists - but improved enough that, for those who live there and love it, it can offer a good quality of life in fairly beautiful surroundings.

Thanks for sharing, Illiricum!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You took special care with the photos of Mother Theresa and the Orthodox Church. :) Are you a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Christian - or do you prefer to think of yourself simply as Christian, or Spiritual, or some other wider label?

EDIT: One more question - when you were photographing the church, how did you feel? Were you nervous? Did you check to see if anyone was watching? Has you impression been that bad?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Weird city...after seeing these pics, i wonder, is it really in my country? Its got kind of a dusty look, and I bet many would mistake for a city in Central Asia(Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, etc...maybe Tashkent) rather than Europe.

I like that library building though (i think it is library, right?) , its kind of unique.

·
Incendia Astrum
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mother is half Bektashi and half Orthodox. My father is half Catholic and half Muslim. As a consequence I am 25% of all religions present in Albania.

I have been only once to a mosque. I have been many times in the Catholic and Orthodox church. The camera was pissed off. But the picture you mentioned managed to come out good. The camera zoom was a shame and so was the way it managed colors. Having no post processing tool with, I had to post them crude :)

·
Banned
163 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:
Weird city...after seeing these pics, i wonder, is it really in my country? Its got kind of a dusty look, and I bet many would mistake for a city in Central Asia(Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, etc...maybe Tashkent) rather than Europe.

I like that library building though (i think it is library, right?) , its kind of unique.
Ma ajd čoveče ko da nikad nisi bio na Kosovu i Metohiji.. Znaš koliko je tamo odvratno i ružno... Jedino mi manastira žao što će stoka to da uništi, ali što se tiče gradova, arhitekture i mentaliteta sadašnje većine, neka im je Bog u pomoći ... užas i zbog toga bih i voleo da budu nezavisni...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
"I blamed them, but most of the real damage - I did to myself."

Sounds like Pristina is in the middle of a third tragedy.

·
Banned
156 Posts
It is not bad as a city. It has great potential. In fact this is Yugoslavia after war. Serbia,Bosnia is not different this way. The architecture and the system is the one that Yugoslav cities have.

Although i saw that banner liricum "Freedom of Movement, is a human right, respect it" so the people in Kosovo are really trying for a democratic society.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for posting these pictures! :)

Pristina is a very Strange place. Although there seem to be some nice new Projects, I still feal looking at those pictures it is far from a normal city.

After reading how you felt taking a picture of the Church in Pristina, I feel really stupid having any hesitation (which I did) taking a picture of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Sarajevo. :sleepy:

What other cities are you traveling to in Kosovo? :)

·
Banned
35 Posts
myzeqari said:
It is not bad as a city. It has great potential. In fact this is Yugoslavia after war. Serbia,Bosnia is not different this way. The architecture and the system is the one that Yugoslav cities have.
I disagree, it clearly looks a lot different than any other city from any of the former Yugoslavia countries. It's hard to explain why, it just seems different. It also seems more "communist" if that makes sense. If I saw a picture of Pristina but didn't know it was Pristina, I would never mistake it for Zagreb or Novi Sad or Sarajevo.

Of course my knowledge of what the Balkans look like is limited to pictures people post here so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyways please continue taking more pictures!

·
ubahnista
4,584 Posts
If pristina wasn't "yugoslav" creation, you would have 1 floor "buildings" overall like in middle Africa. I just cann't get it, the people built whole city to have proper living place and now you re complaining about it ?!

And Pristina looks totaly different than average city i saw until now in ex-Yu. Good job IS, first own made Pristina pics thread here :eek:kay:

·
Banned
156 Posts
If pristina wasn't "yugoslav" creation, you would have 1 floor "buildings" overall like in middle Africa. I just cann't get it, the people built whole city to have proper living place and now you re complaining about it ?!

And Pristina looks totaly different than average city i saw until now in ex-Yu. Good job IS, first own made Pristina pics thread here
Okay but if you dont like it? What does that say? You dont like your own creation...? And i saw a thread about albanian typonyms on roads and stuff in Belgrade. You know what an offense that is to Kosovars? Those typonyms Skanderbegova and Palace Albanija are nothing but a payback of Serbia getting a piece of Albania in 1912 and in return they made few names, Ridiculous!!! We know you guys are not that nice!!

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:

I onda se pitaš zašto su se Srbi iseljavali iz Prištine...e moje Kosovo, šta ti uradiše :(

·
Registered
710 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:
:yes:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm surprised. I was actually pretty impressed by the skyscraper with the square in the front. I wouldn't mind having something like that in Sarajevo.

·
Incendia Astrum
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just replaced the photos with the ones that were postprocessed by EE Forum superstar (for newcomers I am talking about Sarajka). Thanx again. Life without photoshop/psp is a miserable one. I will post more pictures. Today it is a rainy day in Pristina and light is not on my side but if sun rays start playing around I am sure I will be make nice photos. On the other hand it is more comfortable this way cause it is not hot :)

·
Incendia Astrum
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics... It was rainy day and you could bet you were in mid autumn as it was a lil bit cold. Light was not on my side but the pictures are good replicas of what was infront of me. I will buy a new camera now and hopefully I will post more qualitative pictures.

·
Banned
35 Posts
How long are you staying in Pristina and which other cities are you planning to visit?

The quality of the pictures looks pretty good to me. I don't think you need a new camera.

1 - 20 of 5294 Posts