Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
California EU said:
Who is that guy?
He's the Albanian National Hero.

His father, a Albanian prince, was defeated by Turks in early 15th century and his childrens taken by them to become oficers for the Turkish Army. Later he deserted and found his way home and liberated the country. He united all the principates and resisted Turkish armies for 25 years, not only protecting the country, but even blocking their (Turkish) way north. He was awarded by the Pope as a saviour of Christianity and was asked to join for a new Crusade.

After he died it took the Turks 10 more years to take control of the country.

In the center of ROME (Italy) there is a square named after him, with a statue also. His head armor and the sword are displayed in a Vienna (Austria) museum.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
His name was Djordje Kastriot Skenderbeg...a fighter for Christianity, who fought against Ottoman empire, whose father and brother lived in the Chelandari Monastery on Mount Athos(yes, Serbian monatery of Hilandar) ... a Serb by birth, who became Albania's national hero.

There are calls for the Serbian Orthodox Church to proclaim him a saint:yes:

·
Stop the World...
830 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:
His name was Djordje Kastriot Skenderbeg...a fighter for Christianity, who fought against Ottoman empire, whose father and brother lived in the Chelandari Monastery on Mount Athos(yes, Serbian monatery of Hilandar) ... a Serb by birth, who became Albania's national hero.

There are calls for the Serbian Orthodox Church to proclaim him a saint:yes:
:| Seriously, burazeru, do you know many Serbs called Gjon Kastrioti ?

The fellow's name is Gjergj Kastrioti aka Skenderbeg/Skenderbeu/Iskander-Bey.
His mother, Voisava X, daughter of a nobleman from Polog, an area in today Macedonia, was a Serb.
He's half-Albanian and half-Serb, in fact, and is revered by both Albanians and Serbs of Montenegro.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That's strange. His name is Gjergje Kastrioti Skenderbeu. He fought in current day Albania, with Albanian troops. His generals were Albanian. I have heard that there is some dispute about the origins of his mother, which some say its Serbian, but never about those of the father.

Letter From Skenderberg, look how he calls himself and his people:

Giorgio, gentleman of Albania, to Giovanni Antonio, Prince of Taranto, greeting.

Having made a truce with the enemy of my religion I have not wanted that my friend remain (fraudato) of my aid. (Spesse?) times, Alfonso, his father, invited my help while I waged war against the Turks. Therefore I would be very ungrateful if I had not resisted (lÕistesso?) service to his son. I remember what your king did because now (non deve vedere succedergli?) this who is his son? You adored his father, and why now do you try to throw out his son? Where did this power come from? Who has the power to set up the King of Sicily, you or the Roman Pontiff?

I came to aid Ferrante, son of the king and seat of the Apostolica. I came opposing your unfaithfulness and innumerable great betrayals in this kingdom. (NeÕ?) will you ever be unpunished for your perjury. This is the reason for my war against you. I merit this no less than I merited making war against the Turks, nor are you less Turk than them. (ImperoccheÕ vi sono alcuni?) that guide you in a straight line not to be of some sect. You my opponents the French and the names of those people, and those for the religion wage grand war.

I do not want to dispute ancient matters with you, matters that perhaps were much less than what was told about them. Certainly in our times the Aragonese armadas have often coursed the Aegean Sea, have plundered the Turkish coasts, have (riportata?) the prey of the enemies; and even today the Aragonese armies defend Troja from the jaws of the enemy. Why do I remember the old things and leave the new parts? If they change the family costumes and the plowmen of the kingdom, and the kings of the plowmen return? (NeÕ troverai nobilitaÕ piuÕ antica della virtuÕ.)

Nor can I deny that you are not with the obnoxious French nation, (imperoccheÕ) you being mainly in aid of King Alfonso, you hunted the French of this kingdom. I do not know now what new virtue shines in this. Perhaps it is some new star that you have now seen among the French?

Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. My elders were from Epirus, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies.

I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?

In the past the Albanese have (fatto?) experience if the Pugilese were armed; (neÕ) I would again find some who would have been able to aspired to my nature. I have well noted from the back how many of your soldiers are well armed but have never been able to see their helmets or (tanpoco?) the face except those that have become prisoners. (NeÕ?) I seek your house (Bastandomi?) my own. Besides, it is well known that you often would have shot your neighbors for their possessions, as now you would force out the king of your house and your kingdom.

(Che se?) If I fall in the difficult task I have embarked on I will be buried as (mi vai?) wishing in your letter, will bring back my soul as a reward from the Chancellor of the universe, of God. Not only will I have perfected my intention, but also I will have planned and attempted some distinguished deed.

Good bye....Ó

·
Registered
167 Posts
Football Rules said:
Here is a photo from Prishtina

...hmmm I wonder how could a city like this be built in an environment of terror and apartheid as it was portrayed here in the west a couple of yrs ago...I would"nt expect that much investment in infrastructure from a Serbian state accused of exploitation and terror....Hmmm my two cents.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
^ Not saying it was or wasn't...but these things were all built before and during the Yugoslavia days. Check out the Prizren thread to see how fast Kosovo ran down once Tito died.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
CVRKI said:
:| Seriously, burazeru, do you know many Serbs called Gjon Kastrioti ?

The fellow's name is Gjergj Kastrioti aka Skenderbeg/Skenderbeu/Iskander-Bey.
His mother, Voisava X, daughter of a nobleman from Polog, an area in today Macedonia, was a Serb.
He's half-Albanian and half-Serb, in fact, and is revered by both Albanians and Serbs of Montenegro.
I was talking about you today with someone...and I thought I might as well tell you what I tell them. I really admire the way you deal with nationalism. You are very proud - but truthful. You don't need to make things up, or twist the truth. You seem proud of SiCG for the right, and truthful reasons. I just wanted to say I admire that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mila said:
^ Not saying it was or wasn't...but these things were all built before and during the Yugoslavia days. Check out the Prizren thread to see how fast Kosovo ran down once Tito died.
Oh that's for sure. it was built in teh SFRJ. But even then the state was accused of terror..Anyways, there is no need to elaborate. I like the strange archtecture, that's for sure. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Strange puts it nicely. I think Pristina and Zenica should run for Ugliest Cities in the World competition. At least Zenica, like Vancouver, has gorgeous landscape to fall back on. There's no...saving grace...for Pristina.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Prishtina should've never become the capital.
Although i think Mila exagerates a little to say it is very ugly , i dont think it's a very attractive city.
It is average underdeveloped city.
Prishtina needs parks , infrastructure , architecture...etc,etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,286 Posts
Well there has to be a capital, and in the Balkans a lot of small villages and towns became suddenly capitals after the Liberation, and had to go through astonishing growth, and poor planning.
Well my dumbness has struck again, you did give his name right on top of the pics :doh:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.