SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Islands for Sale in Greece (sorry, but I couldn't find any larger and higher quality pictures)

Greek islands are the ultimate status symbol, evoking images of sunglass sporting shipping magnates sipping champagne on the deck of enormous yachts. In reality, Greek islands are relatively affordable, costing as little as two million dollars - less than a ski chalet in Aspen or a walk up on the Upper East side. The hot dry summers in Greece are perfect for lazing around your island, sipping Ouzo and skinny-dipping in the Mediterranean. Some private islands in Greece are available on a freehold basis.

Arkudi Island, 1,111 acres, (price on request):

The private island of Arkudi boasts 4,5 km² of unspoiled land. The island is ideal as a luxury private retreat or for a tourist development. The island is covered with pine forest, marquis shrubs and various wildflowers.

The island has its own fresh water well and good elevations which make it ideal for future building. The island Arkudi features many fine sandy beaches and spectacular views over the crystal blue waters of the Ionian Sea.

The Greek Ionian Islands comprise six main islands: Corfu, Paxi, Lefkas, Ithaka, Kefalonia and Zakythos. Arkudi island is located between the islands Lefkas and Ithaka. Lefkas, as well as Corfu and Zakynthos, can be easily reached by airplane. There are also ferries going from Italy to Corfu and Kefalonia.

Between the mainland and the Ionian Islands, you will find protected sea conditions and moderate winds. The waters of the Ionian Sea are calm, clear and still, sheltered from the prevailing northeastern winds of the summer by the bulk of the Greek mainland. The area is superb for watersports such as sailing, scuba diving, kayaking or surfing. The climate in the Greek Ionian Sea is typically Mediterranean with hot and dry summers and moderate winters.

St. George's Island, 23 acres, EUR €1 500 000:

This beautiful island property is located about an hour's drive from the Rio-Antirio bridge and sits just a short boat ride from Galaxidi's harbour.

The island offers panoramic views of the village and the surrounding mountains, including Delphi and Mt. Parnasus.

The size of the island is 94 stremmata/94,000 sq. metres/23.23 acres.

Greek Island 01, 170 acres, (price on request):

Dimensions:
The island's area is 678 square metres.
Equal to 678 stremma or 170 acres.
(1 stremma = 1000 square metres).

*Stremma: a traditional Greek unit of area, now redefined to equal exactly 1000 square meters or 0.1 hectare (0.24710 acre).

The dimensions of the island are approximately 1.4 kilometres in length and 1.3 kilometres in width.

Latitude: 38N
Longitude: 21E
Altitude: 77 metres (252 ft)

This beautfiul island has rolling hills rising up to 77 metres above sea level. There is rich vegetation and the island is uninhabited.

The land on this private island consists of 230,000 m2 fields, 490,000 m2 forests and 64,000 m2 completely available land.

It has two natural ports and two natural beaches with the possibility of creating more.

All the necessary paperwork and a building license are available. One can build about 185,000 m2 depending on the use of the land. There is a power supply about 25 m from shore. Water supply is available.

Ligia Island, 32 acres, US $800 000:

This private island is situated in the warm, crystal blue waters of the Ionian Sea, 50 metres (165 feet) off the island of Ithaki.

The island is nicely elevated and covered in pine, poplar and wildflowers. A concrete pier has been constructed on the western side providing good protected anchorage for boats. The area is a boating paradise and the new owner will be in an excellent position to take advantage of the opportunities available.

Rinia Island, 550 acres, (price on request):

Rinia Island is situated 3 miles away from port Linaria of Skiros Island in Aegean Sea.

Features:
Rinia is a flat island with medium sized trees on it. The ground is red soil.

There are old marble pits on the island and the old house built many years ago has been demolished. Rinia’s island has water because it is very near to Skiros Island (1½ miles).

Greek Island 02, 58 acres, (price on request):

The opportunity to start a tourist business is great on this island and a Greek real estate investment is a sure winner. Because Greece is an EEC country, real estate transactions and investments are very straightforward.

Dimensions:
The island's area is 236 Greek stremma*

A beautiful private island for sale (near by Onassis' private island Scorpios.)

*Stremma: a traditional Greek unit of area, now redefined to equal exactly 1000 square meters or 0.1 hectare (0.24710 acre).

Geographical Description:
The island is located in the Ionian Sea, to the west of Greece (and the east of Italy) - the historical scene of many battles between Greece and Rome. Colonists from Corinth crossed the Ionian Sea on their way to the island Sicily, where they founded the colony of Syracuse.

St. Athanasios Island, 3 acres, US $1 000 000:

In the Gulf of Corinth, 1.5 miles from the city of Itea and at a short distance from Delphi, the skiing resort of Parnassos and the historic port of Galaxidi, lies this beautiful island.

St. Athanasios island is a small, private island, nearly knoll, of 10,811 sq. m. Pine and olive trees are scattered all over the ground and a small sandy beach is located on the northwestern region of the island. The environment is natural and quiet, as far as internally, the seawater that douses the seaboard is crystal-clear and rich in sea life.

Unencumbered, full and unrestricted freehold title, as well as indispensable supporting documents from various public authorities.

St. Athanasios island is an ideal place for calm and unique natural living conditions in combination with the modern conception of a comfortable residence. Suitable for the development of a private villa (cottage or permanent residence).

Greek Island 03, 49 acres, (price on request):

Dimensions:
The island's area is 200,000 square metres (200 Greek Stremma*)

A beautiful, small, private Greek island for sale (near Onassis' private island Skorpios.)

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
if I could I would definetly buy Arkudi Island

·
Banned
55 Posts
ok how does this work though, let's assume i bought an island..do i have to pay tax to the government or no, the land is mine so i shouldnt have to right?
Or, what if somebody enters my island without permission, could they get in trouble?
Do ferries come in the island? What if i dont want them to? and so on...these are the type of questions i have, mostly concerning legal issues?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ It's just like buying any other piece of property on the mainland. When you purchase an island, you own that piece of land, therefore nobody is allowed on it unless you give them permission (unlike public land). The law remains the same, regardless of whether your property is surrounded by water or not, because you're still on Greek territory.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's more:

For sale - Argironisos Island:

The lovely island of Argironisos with an area of approx. 59,3 acres metres, is nestled between Euböa (Evia) and the mainland. Its gently rolling hills, small idyllic coves and thousand year old olive groves are captivating to the eye. A boat wharf and path network are also to be found on the island.

Argironisos is an island which awakes the legends and myths that are associated with Greece. An island, on which every tree and rock reveals the magic of an ancient culture.The two homes on the island are in need of renovation. The typical Greek style white main house has three double bedrooms, a single bedroom, two bathrooms, an additional WC as well as a spacious living room.The neighbouring bungalow has three further double bedrooms each with own bathroom.

The island is located 40 mins by helicopter from Athens.

For sale - Ligia Island:

This private island is situated in the warm, crystal blue waters of the Ionian Sea, 33 metres off the island of Ithaki. The island is nicely elevated, and covered in pine, poplar, and wildflowers. A concrete pier has been constructed on the western side, providing good protected anchorage for boats. The area is a boating paradise, and the new owner will be in an excellent position to take advantage of the opportunities available.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
too close to the shore for me. how am i supposed to have hot naked girls running around when the locals can see it all. I still go with my first option Arkudi Island.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GREECE: More Islands for Sale

2005-08-15 11:46:44

More than 60 private Greek islands are reportedly on sale across the country, drawing the interest of domestic and foreign investors as well as international tourism groups. The owners of those small islands have realized the assets they have in hand and are rushing to make the most of them.

A typical example is Skyropoula island, right next to Skyros, which until recently belonged to the Antoniadis family. Its 4 square kilometers are said to have been recently bought for nearly 6 million euros by one or more members of the Haji-Ioannou family of shipowners. The most prominent member of this family is Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of easyGroup, whose holdings include easyJet, easyCruise, easyCinema and recently easyHotel. Other sources suggest the wife of painter Pablo Picasso has obtained her own little paradise buying a small island in the Ionian Sea.

Two other islands are proceeding with tourism investment plans. One is Alatas in the Pagasitikos Gulf, located close to Volos in central Greece and covering a surface of 0.5 square kilometers. Sources say the islet has been leased for the next 50 years by United Five Development from Cyprus, which is expected to invest more than 50 million euros in building a major hotel unit of 900 beds with restaurants, recreation spaces, tennis courts and swimming pools.

The other is Arkoudi island, north of Cephalonia. In the works is an investment of 100 million euros that will create 300 jobs. The project will cover 4 square kilometers comprising 140 super-luxury accommodation units, a marina, a thalassotherapy center and an 18-hole golf course as well as many other sports facilities. Entrepreneur Giorgos Stavropoulos is in charge of this tourism investment.

A tiny island on sale but with clear title deeds is Smaragdonissi, just one nautical mile off the coast of Itea, in Central Greece. It covers just 10,000 square meters. The investor set to buy it will build a stone house of up to 500 square meters on it, or, in case of touristic development, a structure of some 2,000 square meters. This island is full of olive trees and bushes.Patroklos island next to Cape Sounion off the southern coast of Attica has attracted the most interest. The 4.2-square kilometer isle has come to the forefront as it can be turned into a proper tourism resort. Israelis, including Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, have been involved in its possible purchase from the family of lawyers who own it, although the deal has now definitely been abandoned and interest is turning to a foreign tourism group. Experts believe the price tag on the island is expected to exceed 100 million euros by far.

Setting a price

“The price of each island on sale depends on many factors,” explains Mike Vassiliou, president of the Greek branch of FIABCI, the International Real Estate Federation. “The closer an island is to the shore, the more its price rises as this facilitates access to it. No private island has infrastructures such as connection with utility networks (electricity, water, telephone) so it is important that it is close to shore,” he said. “Other factors are whether an island has water underground and the quality of its beaches and harbors so that it is accessible by boat.”

But, he adds, “the main thing is for an island to have the certificates required so that it can be transferred.” These certificates take up to 12 months to be issued, since many authorities, including the ministries of defense, environment and culture, are involved. For an island to be sold, it must have a certificate by the Archaeological Agency confirming it does not have any antiquities and another from the Forest Authority saying it doesn’t hold any land characterized as forest.

An island on sale also requires a certificate by the National Defense and Merchant Marine ministries (through the navy) that it has no national security commitments. This raises obstacles for the sale of islands near Turkey. There are also problems with the Ehinades islands in the Ionian Sea, as the area is protected by the Natura 2000 program of the European Union.
More confusing is the inclusion of all Greek islands in the border regions. The state maintains the right to buy back any island if it wishes so, and if the island changes owners the state can buy it back it from the new owner within one year.

Island-owners

Most of the owners of islands on sale have inherited them from their ancestors, who in turn obtained them after the Ottoman occupation in the 19th century. The investors interested in buying any of those islands have to be particularly careful about the title deeds and the certificates required. Still, Vassiliou notes, most islands on sale come with complete sets of documents.
Over the years several people have purchased a private island mostly for their own use.

The most widely known case is Skorpios, bought by Aristotelis Onassis, who turned it into a hot spot for the international jet set. Today it is completely abandoned and reports recently suggested that Athina Onassis intended to sell it, although this was officially dismissed.

Stavros Niarchos bought Spetsopoula, off Spetses, following the example of Onassis and Skorpios. Dolly Goulandri bought Revmatonissi near Paros, Petros Livanos bought the 12-square kilometer island of Dokos, and Panayiotis Tsakos bought Atokos island.

The Valaoritis family owns an island that shares its name.

Source: Kathimerini English Edition

·
Registered
214 Posts
me rrufsh bolet said:
ok how does this work though, let's assume i bought an island..do i have to pay tax to the government or no, the land is mine so i shouldnt have to right?
Lol, you still are a subject to the Greek government.

Unless you somehow manage to pull off a UDI, that is.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Kuvvaci said:
what an ironic situation! What if a foreigner buys them?
Its the same as a foriegner buying a block of land.
All your doing is buying the land. Your still obligated to abide by the laws.

Id love to own one, but in my opinion thered be a bit of a problem with keeping unwanted visitors off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow, now I am going to start playing the NY Lottery so I can be one of the "foreigners", a Greek-American!

Seriously, though, thank you for this thread, it was very interesting to read and nice to dream.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Aquinas said:
Damn, I hope there are some left once I am stinking rich.

Hey you got around 9,000 islands to choose from.

Also, hey what's that business with the lottos, games and gambles. You want money, easy. Invest in construction that's the best money earning business of current times. BTW, if possible please invest in Greece, and if possible in Athens Maroussi hood, and if possible make it a scraper, and if possible make it be some 40 stories at least for corporations and office usage, and if possible make more than one.

I think I'm not asking you for anything hard and difficult.

:eek:kay:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts