SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
great new for Port Wakefield, hope this happens!!!

A town divided over $250m marina project
By LOUISE TRECCASI
18apr06
A PROPOSED $250 million housing and marina development at Port Wakefield will add up to 2000 new homes to the town of about 800 people, but locals are split over the plan.

The developers yesterday revealed details and estimated costs of the project they say will address Port Wakefield's "massive" housing shortage.

Gulf Harbour Pty Ltd, a company controlled by the Chapman family - who were responsible for the Hindmarsh Island marina development in the 1990s - owns a 324ha site adjoining the main highway.

The proposal is for up to 2000 homes to be built south of Port Wakefield on both sides of the highway. The first stage would incorporate about 500 homes on the western side. Plans also include a marina and a shopping centre.

The company also will ask for State Government major project status to fast-track approvals and will seek outside funding for the project.

"We see this project targeting the primary residence market within commuting distance to Adelaide," developer Andrew Chapman said.

But locals have expressed mixed feelings over the plan. Retired local fisherman Frank Cicolella welcomed "any progress in Port Wakefield to get it moving".

"It will create work and bring people into the town," he said.

His son, Mark, also a retired fisherman, said such a project would boost tourism, but he was concerned about possible environmental impacts.

"The effects of dredging a channel out to build a marina could kill hundreds of mangroves," he said.

Kipling's Bakery owner John Kipling said housing should only be built on the western side of the highway.

"Our highway bypasses the town and if someone builds on the eastern side it will split the town in half and you will have a national highway going through the centre of a town," he said.

Aboriginal representatives have already expressed concern that the Port Wakefield plan could violate cultural heritage, but Mr Chapman said research showed no "sacred Aboriginal" issues.

The company is seeking meetings with the Government to discuss environmental, cultural and planning issues, but a Government spokesman said it was too early to comment.

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
yes, but mangroves are the habitat for many native animals

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
God I hate the magroves at St Kilda, dont get me started.

"We see this project targeting the primary residence market within commuting distance to Adelaide," developer Andrew Chapman said.
How long does it take currently, to travel to Adelaide?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It takes about 90 minutes to drive into Adelaide from Port Wakefield. Up to 2 hours at worst.

I'd be careful about building right up over the mangroves. I hate the smell of the mangroves at St. Kilda, but as mentioned it is the home of many species and it needs at least some protection from inappropriate development. I have not seen the plans for it, so I can't comment on whether it is or not. Why you would want to live in Port Wakefield for any reason other than employment seems beyond me, there aren't exactly any good beaches. I'm sure the locals would disagree.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Marina developments seem to always cause issues.

i guess they (the developers) thought Pt Wakefield would have the least opposition.

...but what a hell hole

probably be a cheap place to berth your boat though

·
Registered
538 Posts
The marina development at Wallaroo, although it looks nice it turned the white sand into sludge. And it will probably take some time until it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
from todays tiser!!

Bypass a priority if marina goes ahead
By ANNA VLACH
19apr06
THE State Government would make the $70 million Port Wakefield bypass a greater priority if the town's proposed $250 million housing and marina development went ahead.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon made the admission yesterday after dismissing Opposition calls for a funding commitment to the bypass as a "knee-jerk reaction" to the Easter traffic nightmare.

Motorists returning from the Yorke Peninsula and Mid North on Monday faced lengthy delays around Port Wakefield.

Liberal infrastructure spokesman Martin Hamilton-Smith, however, denied the call for the bypass had been sparked by the traffic jam, saying problems on the highway had been evident for years.

"There is a bottleneck every long weekend," he said.

He said increasing freight traffic and extensive development in Kadina and the Yorke Peninsula meant the bypass and upgrades to roads in the region were overdue.

Implying the Federal Government should take responsibility for the bypass, Mr Conlon described the Princes Highway as "the most national of national roads". "At the end of the day, we are not going to step in to fund federal roads every time the Opposition asks," he said.

"We deserve a better deal from the Commonwealth."

Mr Hamilton-Smith, however, accused the Government of passing the buck, saying it should take a leadership role and apply for a "fair share" of funding from AusLink (the federal roads program).

"AusLink funding has to be argued for," he said. "I would like to know, was this project in the Government's last AusLink submission and will it be in the next one."

A spokesman for Mr Conlon said the Government had included the bypass as a priority in its infrastructure plan and was likely to consider including it in the 2008-09 AusLink funding submission.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Another media stunt by Mr Hamilton-Smith (Lib pollie). Traffic snarls on Good Friday were on every highway from Adelaide.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The problem here isn't so much the residents, but the environmental issues that could result. Any development that would wreck the local ecosystem too significantly should be given a very careful thought before jumping in and discovering secondary effects on the area in the future as a consequence.

I wouldn't support any proposal that directly damages the environment.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AG said:
The problem here isn't so much the residents, but the environmental issues that could result. Any development that would wreck the local ecosystem too significantly should be given a very careful thought before jumping in and discovering secondary effects on the area in the future as a consequence.

I wouldn't support any proposal that directly damages the environment.
I agree!!!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well Well Well - This Project is BIGGER than I thought it would be!!!

Found these in the Yorke Peninsula Newspaper website

tho it looks a bit strange!!!

Port Wakefield's $250 million waterway residential project
Journalist: Kathryn Crisell

A draft plan, for a marina and waterway residential project worth more than $250 million at Port Wakefield, is being hailed by the developers as "a great opportunity for the Mid North".

The Chapman family, developer of Hindmarsh Island, is behind the 2,000 home plan that will straddle Port Wakefield Road and allow the sea to flow east, under a new bridge.

Andrew Chapman, of Gulf Harbour Pty Ltd, says, while there has been no formal approach to Local or State Governments with the plan, there has been much discussion, and a meeting is scheduled with the Premier, Mr Rann.

"We hope the State Government will give us an indication at that meeting which way to go - we would hope it would gain Major Project status", he said.

The plan would see a loch constructed near the existing boat ramp, marina housing with private jetties, and facilities that include chandlery, restaurants, a medical centre, community bank, shopping centre and convention centre with tourist accommodation.

Mr Chapman concedes while the loch will help retain water levels it "may be a bit difficult to get in at low tide" due to the nature of the gulf.

Water will flow under Port Wakefield Road, to east of the town, with a "culvert style" bridge constructed to carry traffic.

"The road at that point is quite high above sea level so for drivers it will be just a small blip in the bitumen", he said. "There won't be any yacht access to the eastern side, but substantial water craft can be accommodated in the waterways.

"The western side of the development will be similar to an outstanding development at Mandurah in Western Australia - fairly high density, primary residences, sold as built form (not empty blocks)."

East of the highway, plans include more housing, a retirement village and a "swimming beach with filtered, quality monitored water".

Both east and west developments "offer opportunities for affordable housing" which Mr Chapman believes will help ease housing issues for local workers - a constant problem for Primo's abattoir.

"There is an opportunity for some affordable housing off-water - high density with some communal facilities. We have been consulting with Primo", he said. "As well, this type of development will stimulate local people to move up, which frees housing behind."

As for any future Port Wakefield bypass, Mr Chapman says the company "doesn't have a position on it, but... guess it will happen at some point".

"We have taken a best guess at where a bypass might be situated. We have elected not to wait for a decision on it", he said.

Meanwhile, infrastructure - such as power and water - has to be addressed, but Mr Chapman says that "will evolve over time".

"It will be a sustainable development - a smart development that will meet the same environmental standards we have applied to Hindmarsh Island", he said.

As well, Aboriginal heritage and coastal environment concerns have already been raised.

"The Conservation Park is not affected because it stops either side of the channel. We are not aware of any Aboriginal issues", said Mr Chapman. "However, those, as well as many other issues, will be addressed during environmental impact studies."

He predicts that will take "close to a year so we might be looking at next Easter before getting to final approvals".
Theres heaps more about the Port Wakefield Waterway Development
http://www.ypct.com.au/news/06/04/19/4.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts