SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Abu Dhabi to build metro rail system

By Ashfaq Ahmed, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Abu Dhabi will build a metro system as part of a master public transport plan, a senior official said yesterday.

"The Abu Dhabi Metro project is currently under study and it will soon be unveiled," said Ahmad Rashid Al Rashidi, Director of Public Transport Department (PTD) in Abu Dhabi.

"You will soon hear a good news," he said while replying to a Gulf News question on when the metro project will be launched. The project details and cost will be announced after completion of the study.

Al Rashidi said the Abu Dhabi Metro would be linked to the Dubai Metro to provide a vital link and ensure smooth travel for metro users between the two emirates. "We will also have the option of extending it to other cities in Abu Dhabi as well as to link it to railway systems in other GCC states," he said.

Al Rashidi said the PTD is working in cooperation with the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai to build Abu Dhabi's public transport system. "We are learning from their experience of the Dubai Metro and other public transport projects," he said at a ceremony to launch RTA's air-conditioned bus shelters.

Al Rashidi said between five to seven taxi companies will be introduced within eight months while existing private taxi services will be phased out.

New bus shelters

He said the PTD is working on the masterplan for buses and other modes of public transport with an aim to cut growth of cars by 50 per cent in the future.

"After the success of the express bus service between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, we are going to introduce similar services between Al Ain and Dubai, and Abu Dhabi and Al Ain," Al Rashidi said.

"A comprehensive network of public transport within Abu Dhabi will be in place very soon," he said.

Abu Dhabi's transport chief said the PTD will also build around 500 air-conditioned bus stop shelters in Abu Dhabi within the next 18 months.

Comprehensive network: New fleet of taxis to ply capital's roads soon

* The Abu Dhabi Metro to be linked to the Dubai Metro
* There will be a comprehensive network of public transport buses within Abu Dhabi
* Bus links to other emirates will be introduced
* Private taxis will be phased out gradually
* Five to seven taxi companies to be introduced within eight months

·
Registered
521 Posts
NOW THIS IS GREAT

the only thing we need right now, is to connect sharjah, and i think that 50-60% of the traffic problem will be solved ....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Super news! Especially the rail connection between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. And if they really plan on connecting it with the rest of the GCC, that would be amazing. It would stretch from Dubai to Makkah and Jeddah via the Saudi Landbridge Rail Project.

·
Kool Kat
12,522 Posts
Abu Dhabi likely to announce Metro soon

Abu Dhabi

The UAE capital Abu Dhabi is studying a metro rail project for the city, according to a senior official.

The Metro project will soon be unveiled, Ahmad Rashid Al Rashidi, director of Public Transport Department (PTD) in Abu Dhabi, was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

The project details and cost will be announced after completion of the study, he said.

Al Rashidi said the Abu Dhabi Metro would be linked to the Dubai Metro to provide a vital link and ensure smooth travel for metro users between the two emirates.

"We will also have the option of extending it to other cities in Abu Dhabi as well as to link it to railway systems in other GCC states," he said.

He also said between five and seven taxi companies will be introduced within eight months while existing private taxi services will be phased out.

He said the PTD is working on the masterplan for buses and other modes of public transport with an aim to cut growth of cars by 50 per cent in the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Krazy said:
cut growth of cars by 50 per cent in the future.
I didn't know cars were growing... but it's good news - I could do with a bigger car. :tongue3:

If he meant cut the growth in the number of cars on the roads, then I think he must be thinking of a very distant future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats the best news ever. :) :banana: :applause:

Abu Dhabi will finaly have a metro rail system.

Imagine how easy transportation will be for people living in the out skirts of abu dhabi

the last time I have been to to Abu dhabi, I used to pay a Dh 10 taxi fare from Shabia Khalifa to marina mall.

What is even better is going to dubai every day will be faster.

People working in dubai donot have to live in dubai and pay a high rent. They can live in Abu dhabi and work in Dubai (smart eh?)

·
Me No English
341 Posts
Yes Yes ALain will have metro system too.. thats great but i know i wont use it.

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,938 Posts
Oh wow I missed this but great news!
And connection to Dubai !
Hope its not just by a metro but heavy rail ( but there is not even a hint of the details of this )

·
Registered
698 Posts
vc15nets said:
Super news! Especially the rail connection between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. And if they really plan on connecting it with the rest of the GCC, that would be amazing. It would stretch from Dubai to Makkah and Jeddah via the Saudi Landbridge Rail Project.
cool. we can go for umrah almost weekly w/o any hassles of flying

:cheer:

·
Kool Kat
12,522 Posts
posted earlier today

Abu Dhabi likely to float monorail tenders in 2007
By Ahmad Ameen, Staff Reporter

Abu Dhabi: The tenders for the proposed Abu Dhabi monorail project are expected to be floated next year, an Abu Dhabi Municipality official told Gulf News yesterday.

"The length of the monorail track will be 30 kilometres. The traffic handling capacity of each monorail station will be about 1,000 commuters," said Ahmad Al Hosani on the sidelines of the 10th ministerial meeting of GCC municipalities which was held yesterday in the UAE capital.

Second system

Abu Dhabi's will be the second urban monorail system in the UAE and the first in the GCC.

Dubai has already started construction of its Dh14.5 billion light rail system that will stretch 70 kilometres and cover the entire emirate.

"The project has been fully approved by the authorities and is projected for completion by 2020. Fifteen two-coach trains have been proposed to be put to service.

"Interval between each service will be five minutes. The track will extend along the semi-diameter of Abu Dhabi," he said

"2006 is approaching its end and accordingly it will be difficult to expect any tenders issued this year," he added.

The UAE's railway network is expected to connect to a GCC-wide system that would boost cross-border travel and tourism as well as trading activities, as the region's six economies integrate into a single currency regime by 2010.

"This exhibition is the first of its kind and includes all the projects under way in the seven municipalities in the UAE.

"Besides the monorail project, we are also exhibiting the Dh1.5 billion Shaikh Zayed Bridge due for completion in two years. It is intended not only to serve as a traffic facilitator, but also become a landmark for the emirate," Al Hosani said.

"The mega project of Shaikh Zayed Mosque is also at very advanced stage and we expect the project to be open in 2007 during this Ramadan," he added.

Cargo and passenger railway network studied

The UAE government has also initiated studies for a cargo and passenger rail system that will connect all the emirates.

The project, still in the concept stage, will help the internal land transportation of cargo and freight while a passenger line would ease growing traffic between the major cities of the country.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts