Registered
473 Posts
The Beirut Trade Center

Beirut, Lebanon​

Stats

Floors: 40
Built: 1975

Note:This tower is also known as the "Al Murr Tower"

Construction was halted in 1975 when war broke-out. Today the building is not in use, but is proposed to be turned into the Beirut Trade Center. The renovation plans are currently On Hold.

Currently looks like this:

Rendering of new BTC:

·
258 Posts

^It looks absolutely stunning!. ;)

I hope they will rebulit it as soon as possible. ;)

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
we had this discussion already, I believe it will not be renovated due to the weak structure. The concrete won't withold the building. It will be to expensive to demolish it then rebuilt it again... Not sure what they will do with it

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
They can't leave it this way also.they have to do something about it.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
nice nice nice!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Has anyone heard anything on this building yet, we dont know if they will renovate it or not, I went to the office in Beirut when I first got there and the spokewoman told me that it will be renovated. But reports says the base of the building is to weak to support the building itself, so what will the case be?? demolish then rebuild?

·
4,373 Posts
^^ It is a complicated mess... what office did you go to Nadini?

Im sure it will be renovated because like Hassoun said, something MUST be dont it cant stay like that...

They need to find a way to strengthen the concrete at the base. The whole thing will just be way too expensive.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
^^ its a very tall building, I think one of the tallest.
Beirut! I went to the main office of solidere, they show a 3d map of the historical area of Beirut and the masterplan, and different images of Beirut's reconstruction phase. The picture of post #6 is in the office I went to.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I spoke to my cousin about this building and he told me that there are several problems with the building itself including its structural integrity and the way that it is designed. This was realized after they conducted some studies.

However, the main reason why nothing is being done is because of politics. This building was owned by Gabrielle Murr, who was minister of interior in the Lebanese government and he is the reason why the transformation to the Beirut Trade Center (BTC) did not ever materialize.

Here is an email I got from Solidere back in April 2003:

Dear Ahmad,

Thanks for your encouraging words in general, about Beirut's
reactivated
and very lively city center.

The BTC project is still somewhat in limbo, due to the stoppage placed
on
it several years ago by the then Interior Minister. He claimed that the
demolition permit we had obtained was somehow not valid, and he wanted
to
'buy' the building back at the then depressed share value. Fortunately,
the SOLIDERE shareholders helped prevent this at the time. Of course
the
investors in the project melted away - I think the building was more
than
60% pre-let. Right now the office market is pretty weak. However, I
fully
expect this to recover as soon as the regional situation improves. We
are
beginning to attract international players back to Beirut, and to
reposition the city regionally. Once we install Broadband and other
sophisticated telecoms/CTV services, as currently in planning, Beirut
city
center will be able to distinguish itself nationally, as well as from
other competing cities in the region.

So, in the not-too-distant future you will see a modern 'intelligent'
office complex rising, where the Murr Tower once stood - equaling the
very
best office environment available anywhere in the region - in the heart
of
Beirut.

Best regards, and thank you for your interest,
Angus Gavin
Manager, Urban Development Division,
SOLIDERE
My cousin told me that once something is finally done, it will most probably be demolished and a new building will be built in its place and it will not necessarily look anything like the renderings posted above which are from 1998. He told me they were at one point even considering something low.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
^^ well one thing i dont understand, how come in the main office in Solidere they advertise the tower designed in 1998 and have a model in their 3d map of Beirut?

·
Registered
807 Posts
^^ well one thing i dont understand, how come in the main office in Solidere they advertise the tower designed in 1998 and have a model in their 3d map of Beirut?
Because they still don't exactly know what they are going to do with it, so they might as well leave it.

They used to have another big model just of the BTC (a very nice and detailed model), but last time I was there, they removed it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts