·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This reminds me of before the Gold Coast got its light rail, the Mayor at the time wanted to pursue bendy buses instead.

Thank fook that didn't happen.

It's sort of bizarre to call this a metro.

Wish they'd just spend the money to do this properly.

Reactions: Brisman

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I agree the term metro is a bit cringeworthy, but that aside I don’t think it’s a bad project. Basically this could be relabelled as a busway infrastructure upgrade with the procurement of additional rollingstock. With the other change being some of the operating measures like all door boarding and changes to the route to force a large number to interchange with the busway.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I agree Locke. For all intents and purposes this looks just like a PROPER metro as long as you don't go below the doors. lol.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think EbolaGray is right, they should just rebadge it as a busway extension, in that context it sounds better.

Reactions: LeSnakk

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
I agree the term metro is a bit cringeworthy, but that aside I don’t think it’s a bad project. Basically this could be relabelled as a busway infrastructure upgrade with the procurement of additional rollingstock. With the other change being some of the operating measures like all door boarding and changes to the route to force a large number to interchange with the busway.
I'm with this. While many of these changes are needed, I do wish they'd drop the metro name.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The Fed money is in the budget which begins the next financial year, right?? Irrespective of whether the Turnbull Govt wins the election? Just wondering when Council gets this money.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Dissappitnly they’ve retained Cultural Centre as the station name in those renders. I would prefer it adopt the namesake of the neighboring train station, South Brisbane.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
*Sigh*
Would everyone feel better if they called it Metrobus?
I think this will be a pretty significant upgrade to Brisbane public transport and should be supported. It links elegantly with CRR and the buses freed up as feeder services for it. For years on this forum many of you have been whinging about all trains and buses going to the CBD, this partly remedies that but still people whinge.
In a perfect world we would have 20 billion for a great underground rail based metro service but unfortunately we don't live in those times.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
*Sigh*

Would everyone feel better if they called it Metrobus?

I think this will be a pretty significant upgrade to Brisbane public transport and should be supported. It links elegantly with CRR and the buses freed up as feeder services for it. For years on this forum many of you have been whinging about all trains and buses going to the CBD, this partly remedies that but still people whinge.

In a perfect world we would have 20 billion for a great underground rail based metro service but unfortunately we don't live in those times.

Read my post, I think it’s actually a good project. Reality is that it’s not a metro, not as we know it, you can *sigh* all you like but that term is purely a politicising of the project because it makes it a more appetising sell to voters then simply labelling it a ‘Cultural Centre upgrade’ and increase in rolling stock.

However, I don’t have an issue with politicising the project either, I actually wish the QLD Govt had done that to better sell the benefits of the CRR to attract federal funding. That doesn’t mean I don’t see through that the term ‘metro’ means, but I will find the term somewhat cringeworthy because it’s more or less a busway upgrade. But busway upgrades won’t win as many votes.

·
Registered
512 Posts
(finally we have a thread!!!)
The way I see busways in Brisbane is that it acts like railways. So I don't mind they call it Metro. The only thing I don't like this project is that the normal buses still run on the busways, and I assume the number of buses won't be decreased dramtically?

Is the State Government a bit reluctant to sell the land in South Bank? Why are they holding it off

·
New Urbanist
5,487 Posts
From what I understand and read in those crazy transport forums... the proposal that we have now is exactly what experts have been calling for, for years. The busway has the capacity of 30k+ per hour and essentially will become a hybrid feeder/trunk system which really has not been done before in Queensland.

So, I say kudos to the BCC for finally getting it right and getting on with it.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
It is very worthwhile to do. I was stuck in a bus going into the city at about 4pm last week, it took a fair while just to get out of the tunnel to turn right onto Melbourne Street (about 4 traffic light changes). It would be much worse doing the same thing every day, especially in the morning peak hour. It's also a pain knowing where to stand at the big bus stations. And I'm a local, tourists trying to use it must be totally lost.

So just for the underground station at South Brisbane, and less busses on the CBD's streets alone the "Metro" is a winner. I do feel a little disappointed though, because when the project was first announced, I had thought they were going to do it properly from the start and that it was going to be light rail.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hopefully they've designed all the new tunnels etc. so in the future when funding allows all they have to do is buy the light rail vehicles and easily install tracks/wires.

·
Not_the_timber_man
353 Posts
From what I understand and read in those crazy transport forums... the proposal that we have now is exactly what experts have been calling for, for years. The busway has the capacity of 30k+ per hour and essentially will become a hybrid feeder/trunk system which really has not been done before in Queensland.

So, I say kudos to the BCC for finally getting it right and getting on with it.
99.9% agree. the 0.1% is the name. if they called it what it was (bus rapid transit) then perhaps it would be better received and could be celebrated for what it is. when we all see it i reckon we'll be satisfied, but a metro it's not.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
So long as we can have CRR, let Metro begin.

The years of construction work - I remember Gold Coast Light Rail and Coronation Drive. Look what's going on in Sydney CBD?

Oh well, the price of progress just get on with these projects, if one does not like it there is always Birdsville to live in.

1 - 20 of 1163 Posts