SkyscraperCity banner

801 - 820 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
^^ Certain ones do on Friday and Saturday nights, when there is demand for them.

It will likely change when a perceived demand for them can be demonstrated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think the 412 in particular and several other inner-suburbs routes (at least one of the 60 and 199, for starters) should run half hourly through the night, every night.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I still can't understand why buses in Brisbane don't operate 24h.
Is there any hope it can change?
^^ Certain ones do on Friday and Saturday nights, when there is demand for them.

It will likely change when a perceived demand for them can be demonstrated.
I think the 412 in particular and several other inner-suburbs routes (at least one of the 60 and 199, for starters) should run half hourly through the night, every night.
Sydney is the only place in Australia that I know of that has 24h public transport. This might be because of the nature of industry in the city. Deregulated retail, manufacturing, late night venues had all contributed to demand for 24 hour Public Transport in that city. Saying that Brisbane Airport should have 24 hour Public Transport as well as a few other key routes throughout the city that connect 24hour manufacturing hubs, warehouses, education precincts and soon to be deregulated retail hubs if LNP get in?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Brisbanetimes----> Brisbane Metro could be cool – if it gets more than a ghost of a chance

Brisbane Metro could be cool – if it gets more than a ghost of a chance

Brisbane Times

METRO
OPINION
Brisbane Metro could be cool – if it gets more than a ghost of a chance
John Birmingham

Columnist
February 17, 2020 — 8.53pm

Ghost trains haunt the Paris Metro and they’re really cool. I caught one last week, riding it out to Dupleix, an inner-city borough near the Eiffel Tower where I’d heard rumours of the existence of an Australian cafe serving up flat whites, Vegemite soldiers and avo toast.

Don’t you judge me.

Metro systems in cities such as Paris work very well in moving millions of people around vast mega-cities very quickly.
Metro systems in cities such as Paris work very well in moving millions of people around vast mega-cities very quickly.

The subway train to Dupleix floated into the station with an unfamiliar hum and the doors sprang open automatically. No big deal, you think, until you’ve missed your stop on the older Paris metro cattle carts because you didn’t realise you had to manually crank open the door yourself.

Did I mention that you’re not to judge me?

It was early and the carriage was almost deserted, affording a view up and down the six cars that turned my head inside out like an old sock when I realised there was no driver. The front of the subway train was just a clear window opening up on the tracks in front of us.

Cue Vincent Price voice: "The train was driving itself!"

And maybe throw in some spooky Vincent Price villain laughter at this point too, because that spooky ass train deserved it.

I doubt Brisbane’s metro system, composed entirely of bendy buses, will seem anywhere as awesome, but it could still be, you know, kind of cool – if the nuffs-nuffs from the state government would just get out of the way and let Brisbane City Council do its thing.

Lydia Lynch’s weekend explainer on how the Metro plugs into the other big-ticket public transport projects currently tearing up the city was a fascinating read from the front carriage of the ghost train in Paris, which was where, I kid you not, I read it.

I’ve done a lot of metro time recently. In Seoul as well as Paris, and when those things work they’re incredible. They can move millions of people around vast mega-cities a hell of a lot faster than I can drive into town from my vanilla-flavoured southside ghetto.

But of course, they work because mega-cities have the population size and density to support them. Brisbane doesn’t.

That’s why it looks a little underwhelming when you look at the map of where the lines will run. It almost feels like "why bother?".

But it's worth doing because every long journey begins with the first step, and the creation of a workable mass transit system isn’t just critical to the future of a gridlocked city like the one we now live in, it’s also another step towards saving our worthless skins from climate change.

It could be that the Labor Party’s candidate for lord mayor has a much a better plan for the Metro than the comparatively modest offerings of Adrian Schrinner (spoiler alert, he doesn’t), but Brisbane traffic meltdown is so bad that we don’t really have time for these guys to play their usual stupid games.

Just get it done. Build it out. And one day maybe we’ll have really cool ghost buses humming around the city like sci-fi artefacts.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have no fricking idea what Labor's plan is for Metro. Condren seems to be opposing it for the sake of opposing it.
Condren has little to no clue and will be left out to dry. Council Labor were that desperate for a candidate who the people of Brisbane might recognise, they went with an ex channel 7 journalist. They have no plan, and probably expect to lose.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The thing about Brisbane City Council is that to be Mayor you have to give up your Councillor seat... Hence the opposition tends to run people who aren't previously known for their connection with Council.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #813
I love this from the article:

I’ve done a lot of metro time recently. In Seoul as well as Paris, and when those things work they’re incredible. They can move millions of people around vast mega-cities a hell of a lot faster than I can drive into town from my vanilla-flavoured southside ghetto.

But of course, they work because mega-cities have the population size and density to support them. Brisbane doesn’t.

Brisbane - Population 2.4m, future 'Metro'

Warsaw - Population 1.7m, two current actual Metro lines, BMW rolling stock

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
^^ While Warsaw may have a smaller population than Brisbane, it is still the largest city and national capital of a country with a population of 37.98 million.

Also worth noting too that Poland's total land area would fit in Queensland almost 6 times by my quick sums. That is a a much smaller area over which to provide infrastructure, with a much, much higher population to pay for it.

Brisbane and Warsaw aren't a straight comparison.

·
Registered
517 Posts
But what is the population density of Warsaw compared brisbane? Brisbane is 2.7 million people of low density urban sprawl, Warsaw has 1.7 million people within a smaller area of medium density which makes a proper metro more viable

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I love this from the article:

Brisbane - Population 2.4m, future 'Metro'

Warsaw - Population 1.7m, two current actual Metro lines, BMW rolling stock

^^ While Warsaw may have a smaller population than Brisbane, it is still the largest city and national capital of a country with a population of 37.98 million.

Also worth noting too that Poland's total land area would fit in Queensland almost 6 times by my quick sums. That is a a much smaller area over which to provide infrastructure, with a much, much higher population to pay for it.

Brisbane and Warsaw aren't a straight comparison.
But what is the population density of Warsaw compared brisbane? Brisbane is 2.7 million people of low density urban sprawl, Warsaw has 1.7 million people within a smaller area of medium density which makes a proper metro more viable
No Brisbane Council Administration will fork out for a fully fledged automated Metro in Brisbane at the moment. So no point going on about it.

·
20,639 Posts
But why should they be funding things that take us further away from a proper metro? More kicking the can down the road. More projects that suck out money and stop real long term solutions.

Why are Brisbane City council forking out money to upgrade state assets anyway? It's not their responsibility or their role.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Warsaw metropolitan area is a bit over 3 million people anyway.

I'm loath to do anything other than a population-weighted density comparison, but I don't have the tools for it. Regular density comparisons for Brisbane have to include large amounts of national parks...

My advice is this: Stop thinking of this project as a 'Metro'. Think of it instead as "BCC paying to finish the grade-separation at the core of the busway, plus some cool new vehicles and a modicum of operations reform".

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #819 (Edited)
I just picked that as one example but there is a plethora of smaller cities that have, at the very least, light rail.

On a side note, we've had our first look at the rolling stock for the nearby Gold Coast Metro (which has embarrasingly been mislabled as a bus system by the fake news media):
https://twitter.com/9NewsGoldCoast/status/1230395450592768000

Brisbane Metro:

Gold Coast Metro

Which tram is everyone's fav?

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
No Brisbane Council Administration will fork out for a fully fledged automated Metro in Brisbane at the moment. So no point going on about it.
I say we should go on about it, the BCC settles for things in Brisbane too much, this, Brisbane Waterfront, etc etc. Where is the vision?

801 - 820 of 831 Posts