SkyscraperCity banner

1061 - 1080 of 1163 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I've gone from excited when I first heard about the "Metro", to now just feeling blah. I don't think I really care now whether this gets built or not.

Of course at first I thought it was going to be something like a light rail system taking over the busway, and with an underground tunnel at South Brisbane. Bit by bit it's been degraded and become less promising..

·
23,969 Posts
I've gone from excited when I first heard about the "Metro", to now just feeling blah. I don't think I really care now whether this gets built or not.

Of course at first I thought it was going to be something like a light rail system taking over the busway, and with an underground tunnel at South Brisbane. Bit by bit it's been degraded and become less promising..

Which, unless you were actually going to build a metro, was always going to happen.

The cost vs the benefit was always diabolical.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I think it's still a worthwhile project in itself (larger capacity electric vehicles running at a higher frequency - an incremental upgrade over the current status quo), it's just the way Council greatly overpromised in the beginning and then repeatedly watered it down that has resulted in the disappointment. The lack of an underground Cultural Centre station is a real kick in the teeth though.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I think the biggest issue here was the way the state government has insisted that BCC modify its proposal to eliminate the need for surface stops for west end buses. I suspect BCC decided that its not worth the money and effort required to redesign the underground bus station and decided to just abandon it completly.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Which, unless you were actually going to build a metro, was always going to happen.

The cost vs the benefit was always diabolical.
Thats not correct.

Infrastructure Australia listed the Benefit to Cost Ratio for this project as 2.4, more conservative BCC figures had it at 1.9.. Which exceed other major PT projects in QLD like the CRR (1.4) and GCLR Stage 3(1.1).

·
23,969 Posts
It's always easy to make stuff up. I was talking reality.

What's the BCR of the latest plan compared to the first? What's the cost of the latest plan with all the cost savings (close to the process of the first plan, no)?

·
Registered
655 Posts
^^ Station is at grade, as previously announced.
Was that a recent change to the design due to the disagreement between governments? That is a poor outcome for the project and Brisbane. My understanding was that the point of the underground station was to help alleviate the congestion currently experienced at-grade and would obviously have had a significant place-making benefit. The outcomes of the original business case should be called into question.

City Hall continue to treat public transport like the poor cousin to the private vehicle, and it shows in Brisbane’s mode share.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was surprised the feds did not reevaluate the project due to the scope of work changing so drastically. I suspect there was politics at play.

it will be better than what is there now, but far from a game changer like the real metro in Sydney.

·
Registered
331 Posts
more and more I am disenfranchised with the Metro. It will never come in within budget and nor will the politics ever end between the council and the state government. Its a carrot dangled, nothing more. Much like the grand plans to deliver the eastern busway, which hasn't made it past Langlands.

the QLD government could care less about PT, they've started on the CRR and that's about all we will see for years to come. They'll pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I think its got more to do with the fact that the QLD government hates the LNP Brisbane City Council than any hatred of PT.
If they hated PT they wouldn't be spending money on a busway extention to Springwood or a rebuild of Loganlea station for example.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think its got more to do with the fact that the QLD government hates the LNP Brisbane City Council than any hatred of PT.
If they hated PT they wouldn't be spending money on a busway extention to Springwood or a rebuild of Loganlea station for example.
It may be so, but it took the council under 12 months to come up with the initial design yet in 15 months they can't redesign small section. So it takes 15 months to say we're going to do nothing. Sound like someone has budgeted wrong and they are slowly cutting back until it is below the already increased budget.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
It may be so, but it took the council under 12 months to come up with the initial design yet in 15 months they can't redesign small section. So it takes 15 months to say we're going to do nothing. Sound like someone has budgeted wrong and they are slowly cutting back until it is below the already increased budget.
Not quite the case though, they did redesign the small section in line with the states demands, however that 'small section' is a significant infrastructure project in itself in which the two layers of government couldn't agree on in of cost, design or construction process.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
It's always easy to make stuff up. I was talking reality.

What's the BCR of the latest plan compared to the first? What's the cost of the latest plan with all the cost savings (close to the process of the first plan, no)?
Reality is that the Benefit to Cost Ratio for this project was assessed as 2.4 by infrastructure australia.

In terms of making things up, well I can only point you towards the figures listed, if you object to those figures then why don't you present the benefit ratio which have lead to the diabolical claim you made.

·
23,969 Posts
I refuse to believe that a more than $1B project, with small increases in frequency compared with an essentially free network review would come out with a BCA of that scale. Add to that some small road closure options and it would be even better.

By the way, I've always been sceptical of BCA as, they are heavily weighted towards roads, then road based PT. It's purely a box ticking exercise.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I refuse to believe that a more than $1B project, with small increases in frequency compared with an essentially free network review would come out with a BCA of that scale. Add to that some small road closure options and it would be even better.

By the way, I've always been sceptical of BCA as, they are heavily weighted towards roads, then road based PT. It's purely a box ticking exercise.
My only issue with your comment is that you claimed the BCR was diabolical, however assessment on the project at local and federal government level actually classified it as a very good BCR. Your comment wasn’t based on any actually assessments.

If you argument is instead that BCR assessment process is broken or believe that the government are making up figures, then that’s a different issue to discuss.

1061 - 1080 of 1163 Posts