SkyscraperCity banner

1101 - 1120 of 1163 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but where exactly is the position for the connection between West End and Toowong meant to happen, considering there is a city cat stop, a bunch of apartment buildings and houses already there at the peninsula. Also wouldn't you need to upgrade the road capacity (I assume Montague road, considering the major traffic feed in would be from Vulture Street most likely), to make it four lanes, two in and two out?

Sorry it keeps being said to have one up that way but I'm not sure where exactly the location proposed is meant to be. Because I am not too sure a lot of people with houses or apartments on the waterfront would want to see a giant bridge go right past their house, so would you have to resume those properties?

Just a question.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but where exactly is the position for the connection between West End and Toowong meant to happen, considering there is a city cat stop, a bunch of apartment buildings and houses already there at the peninsula. Also wouldn't you need to upgrade the road capacity (I assume Montague road, considering the major traffic feed in would be from Vulture Street most likely), to make it four lanes, two in and two out?

Sorry it keeps being said to have one up that way but I'm not sure where exactly the location proposed is meant to be. Because I am not too sure a lot of people with houses or apartments on the waterfront would want to see a giant bridge go right past their house, so would you have to resume those properties?

Just a question.
That traffic part has gone by the board as far as I know. There is of course Adrians green bridges and I don't know where the one from West End to Toowong/St.Lucia is proposed to go (if it is still one of the 5 green bridges).

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I know the bridge was named after the band, sort of, Go Between instead of the Go-Betweens. I grew up in Brisbane in the 80's and I had never heard of them until about 2005. Their best selling single got to 68 on the Australian charts. Hardly earth shattering stuff, but it's a good song "Streets of your town". Still, considering the Saints are also from Brisbane around the same era I'd say they were more deserving. Savage Garden probably had 50 times more record sales than both of them put together. Powderfinger was an awesome band. The Bee Gee's could be claimed by Brisbane too, and their record sales are up amongst the best selling of all time. I think the bridge naming was done from an online poll, it sounds like the same sort of polling that got a hospital renamed recently. Go Between, it sounds like it was named by a 5 year old. It's close to Lang Park, they could have named it after Wally, or called it the Maroon's Bridge, etc.

Anyway, back to the Metro, giant dud, doomed by politics?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Anyway, back to the Metro, giant dud, doomed by politics?
I still think it's a worthwhile project, but one that was initially oversold to us. We were initially promised a Lexus but are getting a Toyota - no one would turn down a new Toyota, but it's a letdown from the original Lexus.

But yes, political point scoring has taken its toll, and I think the blame for this can be laid at the feet of both the Council and State Government - Council for going at it like a bull at a gate before getting proper approval for its proposed changes to state-owned infrastructure, and State Government in turn for being obstructionist towards a major element of the project - the Cultural Centre station.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still think it's a worthwhile project, but one that was initially oversold to us. We were initially promised a Lexus but are getting a Toyota - no one would turn down a new Toyota, but it's a letdown from the original Lexus.

But yes, political point scoring has taken its toll, and I think the blame for this can be laid at the feet of both the Council and State Government - Council for going at it like a bull at a gate before getting proper approval for its proposed changes to state-owned infrastructure, and State Government in turn for being obstructionist towards a major element of the project - the Cultural Centre station.
Frankly I don't blame the State for reacting like they did, the council went in like they owned the joint when all they do is drive and maintain the buses. It's a bit like a renter going in and redeveloping the property without the owner's permission.

Council needs to learn where their place is in society, dealing with the parks, rubbish, footpaths, DAs etc, not redeveloping State Owned Infrastructure under the State's nose and using politics to get their way. If they want to do that, become a State MP!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dunno....I think I always had the feeling that it would redirect a lot of the traffic off Coro Drive through West End if it could have gone somewhere further up the river. I, like Aussie, always felt it was too close to William Jolly. I wasn't too worried about from the north. I never got the brain too active on that but. Just a feeling I had. ;)

Where was Campbell's tunnel/s supposed to have gone? One was gonna start at Stone's Corner wasn't it?
I believe this was one of Campbell's proposals. I think it is one idea that would be worthwhile to implement at some point.

I don't have an affinity with West End, apart from my appreciation of Highgate Hill Park. But I don't see how having a road bridge from West End to Toowong would bring a lot of good for the local area there. A green bridge I can understand, and support. However, I believe that a road bridge would simply reroute a lot of traffic through West End, and the roads there would not handle it at all.

·
23,969 Posts
Agree. It would make both West End and Coronation Drive as a through traffic movement. Leave it to Coro Drive only and allow West End to be a local community connected to the south of the river with active and public transport only.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
^^ While I agree that people in South Brisbane/West End, in general, shouldn't need to drive anywhere, that's not the same as saying people in West End will not drive anywhere. They will drive, and with the Victoria Bridge closed, those who used it will all congregate on the remaining free access bridge to get across the river - the William Jolly Bridge. I'm guessing the Government's concern is of gridlock on the William Jolly Bridge and Grey Street by extension, and that waving fares on the Go Between bridge for local residents is insurance against that.

Whether this is actually a valid concern and whether waving the fares is at all necessary, is a different question.
and if they need to drive, they have a bridge, and will just need to pay a toll like everyone else.

If South Brisbane were a enclave without essential services and isolated from the rest of the state, then I’d agree that subsidised transport is important. However South Brisbane/West Brisbane is not that, within a few years it will have some of the best active transport connections in the state, and the proposed metro will also directly complement pt services in west end.

I don’t think subsidising driving should occur, as they have other suitable means of transport with considerable transport investment already supporting the catchment. There’s other areas of Brisbane which could better use that money.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Stuff going on near QPAC for Brisbane Metro. Signage says something about needing to relocate services or something (not sure what services they would need to relocate or why though)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
There is all new barricade fencing up with Metro and Qld Government branding outside the museum entrance at the Cultural Centre Station.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There is all new barricade fencing up with Metro and Qld Government branding outside the museum entrance at the Cultural Centre Station.
It's been there for a couple of weeks. It makes cycling / scooting from West End / South Brisbane to the CBD a pain-in-the-ass. Cyclists need to dismount when they cross after Starbucks at Cultural Centre until they reach the Victoria Bridge. It's made even more irritating by the closure of the boardwalk on the riverside at the Cultural Centre.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
It's been there for a couple of weeks. It makes cycling / scooting from West End / South Brisbane to the CBD a pain-in-the-ass. Cyclists need to dismount when they cross after Starbucks at Cultural Centre until they reach the Victoria Bridge. It's made even more irritating by the closure of the boardwalk on the riverside at the Cultural Centre.
Hopefully when the bridge is closed to General Vehicle Traffic in late January Active Transport space will then be allocated?

People should be giving the Brisbane Metro team a call with their concerns in regards to the current availability of Active Transport space.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
There has been marketing ads from Brisbane City Council on Facebook for future 2021 projects. They are marketing the Brisbane Metro as 'Award winning'? What awards have been awarded to the project if any. Its hardly got off the ground and still in the very early stages.

Seems premature to me to award something that doesn't exist at present or hasn't proven award worthy.

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner Facebook--->

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There has been marketing ads from Brisbane City Council on Facebook for future 2021 projects. They are marketing the Brisbane Metro as 'Award winning'? What awards have been awarded to the project if any. Its hardly got off the ground and still in the very early stages.

Seems premature to me to award something that doesn't exist as present or hasn't proven award worthy.
Found this, might have received others, don’t know.

Brisbane City Council took out the Metropolitan Innovation Project of the Year Award for its Metro Charging Strategy. The strategy will see the city roll out an Australian-first metro service with 60 new electric buses at the forefront of EV technology. The electric bus charging system is one of the most significant developments in the EV industry worldwide. Its on-board batteries can be charged in 4-6 minutes.

1101 - 1120 of 1163 Posts