SkyscraperCity banner

2821 - 2840 of 2871 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
^^ Yes, parts of the Robelle Domain does include Mountain Creek and it's immediate surrounds, but it also incorporates a large amount of space that looks to sit well above creek/flood level. As for Flagstone, you give PEET far too much credit given the proposed amount of residential (light grey in the map) that backs up right against the rail corridor.

View attachment 639370
Low density housing against a rail corridor isn’t really an issue though, people can’t exactly just hail a train as it drives by.

The stations are the critical piece here, hence why it’s important they have the town centre, and all the major traffic generators in close proximity to the station. In the absence of high density housing, it’s the retail, schools and commercial precincts which fill this traffic generator roles for flagstone.

in saying that, Flagstone has a number of ways to improve and is far from the benchmark solution

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
It’s about the bigger picture, and not just being fixated on this one site alone. Shit, it would actually allow a larger population in the area if done this way as well
You can't just look at the bigger picture at the expense of the finer grain level of development, as we still have to consider the people who will live there as well. How far out in the 'middle ring' are you considering? If I live in somewhere like Eden Lane or The Drapery, for example, would I still be able to walk to it from my apartment?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just my two cents, I'm not expecting extravagant and luscious plant life to the extent of Roma street parkland or the botanical gardens, however brisbane has always been well above average at including greenery to large developments and to not do so here would be a misuse of the location. Something similar to Anzac square like KJBrissy mentioned before. Parklands surrounded by high rise, although obviously leave some gaps as to not feel so claustrophobic, perhaps on main Street facing the Gabba? Even if the public space was mixed across several levels... Something similar to queen's wharf?

·
23,969 Posts
Agree.

I think you could have large central promenade between the station and the stadium, 2 rows of towers to the north and south with an access road between each of the rows of towers.
Behind the station to the west you could identify the site for significant heath related and office uses as it backs onto the freeway.

You would still achieve the densest catchment in the state for a station outside the CBD.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yep happy with a promenade at the development site to improve access, and the the parkland space spread amongst the wider suburb.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You can't just look at the bigger picture at the expense of the finer grain level of development, as we still have to consider the people who will live there as well. How far out in the 'middle ring' are you considering? If I live in somewhere like Eden Lane or The Drapery, for example, would I still be able to walk to it from my apartment?
This is the last time I’ll comment on this issue because evidentially you and I don’t agree.

never said ‘no greenery’ at the development location, what I oppose is an arbitrary figure of 50% which isn’t based on any actual planning process or research.

I believe there is a real cost to making TOD lower density then what they’re capable of, and a byproduct of that cost is increasing development pressure on other areas which don’t have the same level of ammenities or PT.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
They really just need neighbourhood plan established for the entire Woolangabba area to come up with a design to suit needs, rather then trying to design elements in isolation based on arbitrary demands.

·
23,969 Posts
Let's put it another way. Identifying significant open space in existing areas will be very very difficult in comparison, and very expensive.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Let's put it another way. Identifying significant open space in existing areas will be very very difficult in comparison, and very expensive.
It would still be considerably less difficult or expensive then identity suitable space for high density TOD opportunities.

·
23,969 Posts
Completely disagree.

Open space should be provided centrally also. And as I said, the Gabba Station will have the highest density within 400m of any station in the State outside of the CBD and would perform competitively across the nation.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Has anybody heard any time proposals for taking traffic off the Vict. bridge next year?
Yes it will be closed to general traffic from next year when construction ramps up. Traffic will be diverted to the William Jolly Bridge and the Go Between Bridge which will become toll free during the construction period. It will remain open for buses, cyclists and pedestrians.

Conversation on the Brisbane Metro best to be continued here---#Project: Brisbane Metro - (Herston-UQ-Eight Mile Plains)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Yes it will be closed to general traffic from next year when construction ramps up. Traffic will be diverted to the William Jolly Bridge and the Go Between Bridge which will become toll free during the construction period. It will remain open for buses, cyclists and pedestrians.

Conversation on the Brisbane Metro best to be continued here---#Project: Brisbane Metro - (Herston-UQ-Eight Mile Plains)
Thanks for that but I knew most of that. I was wondering just when they were proposing next year to do it. Any dates proposed?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Such a huge site and so much stuff on it and at the end of the day unless they decide to go ahead and redo the stadium and get somebody to put some towers and other things on it then all that will be there is a reasonably classy station concourse and a nice (hopefully) track to the stadium.
Does anybody know just what is a definite for this site other than what I have mentioned??

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
^^ Part of the answer to your question would depend on who comes out on top in today's election. That will likely influence the development vs open space ratio.

Detailed plans for the site, as with all CRR sites, haven't been drawn up yet.

2821 - 2840 of 2871 Posts