SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1368 Posts

·
Construction Paradise
12,388 Posts
wanted to get some updates today
the palm is already connected to the continent and there is a huge caterpillar on the trunk

so today is friday and on my way to ras al khaimah i checked the palm deira entrance and WALKED ON THE PALM DEIRA!!!

nice feeling, just ships reclaiming land, nobody else, so i walked on the trunk a little bit

no photos, my camera took 30 minutes to recover from the heat in the car!!! too humid

so, when you want to WALK THE PALM, go there on friday, nobody there

maybe on our forum meet on any friday???

·
Construction Paradise
12,388 Posts
The Palm, Deira connects to mainland Dubai

A significant step has been taken in the creation of the third and last chapter in The Palm trilogy, with Nakheel, Dubai's premier real estate developer, announcing that reclaimed land on The Palm, Deira has been connected to mainland Dubai.

The Palm connecting to the mainland.

Last month Nakheel revealed that 50 million cubic metres of sand has already been reclaimed on The Palm, Deira - more than 55% of the total material used to create The Palm, Jumeirah. Further progress has been made, with more land reclaimed, including the area which joins the island to the shoreline of Dubai. For the first time, land vehicles will be able to travel on to the island, thus expediting the construction process. Access to the island will be on a stretch of reclaimed land close to Al Hamriya Port.

Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Executive Chairman Nakheel, was the first person to make the over-land journey from Deira to The Palm, Deira and commented: 'The Palm, Deira's connectivity with Deira is a fundamental element of the project. Although the island will be a city in its own right, it will also act as an extension of the existing Deira, the area on which our great city of Dubai was founded around. It was a fascinating experience to travel from Deira by car to The Palm, Deira and to look back towards our great city.

'Deira has played a vital role in the history of Dubai and it seems fitting that the last chapter in The Palm trilogy will be completed there, perfectly bringing together the old with the new. Connecting the land that we have reclaimed to date with the Deira shoreline is the first step in the expansion of the historic centre and most loved section of Dubai, which will ultimately reinforce the importance of this area.'.

Regarding the status of land reclamation, Marwan Al Qamzi, Head of Procurement and Contracts, Nakheel, said: 'The progress of land reclamation is remarkable. This island is growing before our eyes. The reclamation of the land - the first stage in the creation of a magnificent new city for Dubai - is truly a sight to behold, especially now that we have connected the land mass to Deira. With the latest reclamation, we can now transport materials on to the island, thus moving the development on to the next level.'

The Palm, Deira was launched in November 2004, following widespread international interest and investment in The Palm, Jumeirah and The Palm, Jebel Ali. Following a series of exhaustive engineering studies, Nakheel, working with internationally renowned architects and engineers from Japan and California have completed The Palm, Deira Masterplan.

The Palm, Deira will offer numerous development opportunities, specifically on areas such as The Trunk and The Corniche. By unlocking access to waterfront communities, the development of the island will create a significant uplift in the values of Deira and enhance its existing commercial centre by placing homes near its retail, workplaces and services.

·
Construction Paradise
12,388 Posts
there are several islands already, huge ones
a good part of the trunk has been reclaimed already
but doesn't look like a trunk yet

it's too hazy to see how much has been reclaimed out in the sea
i can see islands some 3km off-shore already

they are more than incredibly fast, believe me, the pace is overhelming

i would say most of the reclamation has been done in the area of the 2 central entrances

·
Construction Paradise
12,388 Posts
nope we don't
in the area you've marked there is nothing yet
move the yellow circle to the next entrance to the right
all in all there maybe is 1% reclaimed yet, at least as far as you can see
it's quite hazy above the sea, but i don't think they have started reclamation work some 10km off-shore yet

1 - 20 of 1368 Posts