SkyscraperCity banner

981 - 1000 of 1367 Posts

·
George
622 Posts
^^ lol I've asked myself that too but I can also see it, the further inland you get, its probably going to get hotter, atleast if they keep the city by the water, then it may remain a bit cooler. It does seem kind of like a waste since they are building so many sky scrapers, they could just build up the coast line instead of reclaiming the sea.

·
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur
16,657 Posts
^^ Thank you for the pictures.

Unbelievable as to how big this thing really is. I was quite surprised when i read that DI is actually as big as PJ itself! Hats off to the Visionaries!

U welcome :cheers:

Totally agree, Palm Deira is simply magnificent! This particular design is just awesome! Would luv to skip ten years ahead into the future and see where this project is at ...

I wonder though with the current financial climate in the world and Nakheel now having to scale back on some of their projects http://www.arabianbusiness.com/538559-nakheel-poised-to-scale-back-some-projects how this will affect Deira? Will there be a slow-down with the dredging and reclamation? Sure hope not.

http://www.gowealthy.com/gowealthy/wcms/en/home/news/real-estate/waterfront-properties-1226908051078.html

·
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha
3,421 Posts
Can I just ask: who thinks the new design of deira is a step backward? Because I think that, the previous design was much better for me, and the new design looks like it was edited by a child.

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ buildmilehightower

^^ For me, the over-all lay-out looks more aesthetic. I especially like the new lay-out of the crown and the side arcs.

The base also looks better, if you take the entire project's lay-out relative to the lay-out of the other man-made offshore islands of Dubai. The reason for this is that, with the new base' design, The Palm Deira forms an arc enclosing-in at the right-side part of Dubai's natural coastline.

I also like the fact that The Palm Deira's size isn't too monstrous anymore. I mean, the current design for only six fronds is more sensible traffic-wise.

But, I would've preferred that the waterways which criss-cross the arcs to have been kept 'radial' in lay-out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can I just ask: who thinks the new design of deira is a step backward? Because I think that, the previous design was much better for me, and the new design looks like it was edited by a child.
are you talking about the newish complete redesign, or the really really new 6 frond update?

·
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha
3,421 Posts
are you talking about the newish complete redesign, or the really really new 6 frond update?
I didn't know there's been more than 2 palm deira designs. I thought there were only 2; original and new. Can you post all the 3 designs?

Always good to hear stuff like that ('will continue')

·
Registered
468 Posts
^^
yes, the design got a slight update a few weeks ago

as opposed to the previous one

and then of course theres the original ginormous oval

i have to agree with you for both images though
the total redesign looks kinda childish, albeit creative, and just doesnt have the eloquence of PJ
but this recent update looks even worse.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Some pics i took on my way back to Dubai today. Btw, i never realized this as i didn't get a chance to see it from an aerial perspective, but this thing is a MONSTER. Sorry for the poor quality of pics (taken with the iPhone with a shaky hand and a sleepy head!)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
WOW, thanks for those FANTASTIC photos docc!:cheers:

have you been able to see any progress (new reclamation/trucks driving around) ?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
^^ You're welcome :)

I took these shots at around 6:30 am and i didn't see too many vehicles around. I did see a fair amount of dredging ships though; not sure if they were just standing there waiting for instructions or actually doing any work.

We went exactly over the tip of the crescent and i could see it VERY clearly; wish i had taken some pictures then! I really don't see ANY need for Nakheel to work on the trunk and the crescent at this point as the island's that have been reclaimed alone constitute more land than all of PJ itself and will probably take around 10 years to develop. I think what Nakheel is doing absolutely right i.e finishing development and delivery of the reclaimed islands as opposed to wasting resources on reclaiming the rest of the Island.

As you can see the bridges have along quite far and should probably be complete in 2009. I don't know how they are going to manage traffic in the area as it is bound to be EXTREMELY heavy. Gotta wait and see i guess....

981 - 1000 of 1367 Posts