SkyscraperCity banner

1341 - 1360 of 1392 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
One of these pieces (the rollercoaster one most likely) will actually be in an Emaar development in egypt.

My favourite one has to be the float thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
This is not "art" but architecture above all. If it occupies a large space but doesn't serve a concrete purpose, I consider it a waste of space and resources. Art is controversial, architecture should aim to be universal.

Now, here's what I think of each proposal:
#1: Looks actually cool from above - but in the streetscape it will look more like remains of the Berlin Wall. It is literally useless, and more of an obstacle if you happen to cross the plaza, hindering pedestrian traffic, killing street life. Build this as a 1:10 scale variant and use it as a fountain as the center of a park - wonderful. But at this size it's nonsense.

#2: Again cool design but it accomplishes excatly nothing, and the roller coaster thing looks incredibly stupid. The ride would be incredibly boring aswell, it is literally just a tilted+curved circle. Meanwhile it stands on a giant concrete plaza - sigh.

#3: The most ridiculous one. It looks horrible, extremely expensive and, again, incredibly impractical. The dense array of sticks creates an irritating interference pattern from most angles. The moving lighting blocks at the top are plain silly, and don't get me started on the idea of planting actual trees up there. But worst of all, why make a park but make it hard to get up there? It looks like an attraction that you'd visit once a year tops, but has zero value in you everyday life. And what's at ground level? 500 concrete pillars and eternal shade? Ridiculous.

A park would be much more useful, and beneficial to the residents.
Preach! I don't get it honestly! What is the purpose of this? You would expect at least one of them to be some kind of a tourist attraction but nope ... just weird designs that would serve a better purpose as small renders in a museum.

·
Registered
889 Posts
One of these pieces (the rollercoaster one most likely) will actually be in an Emaar development in egypt.

My favourite one has to be the float thing.
One will be located in an Emaar development in Egypt, one in Mina rashid (most probably the dunes monument), and the other one in DCH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Taste aside, having art installations, green space, public squares...these will increase property values and quality of life for DCH residents...whereas another residential tower squeezed in will not. Emaar have all the experience of building Downtown along with the lessons learned so we will see their different approach in play at DCH. If you check Instagram, people seem to enjoy the "pointless" art installations, and the random boat that they moored in the otherwise empty marina.
Hoping that the tower and mall also move forward otherwise everyone who has bought off-plan in DCH to-date has overpaid.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The single most important landmark in the entire Creek Harbour is already on hold in perpetuity, despite the gigantic foundation for it is fully completed! Yet Emaar is here once again announcing more "landmarks" that they will put up in the area. Unless they are really banking on future off-plan investors all having dementia or something, then they really need to sort their priorities out ASAP. :cripes:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
The single most important landmark in the entire Creek Harbour is already on hold in perpetuity, despite the gigantic foundation for it is fully completed! Yet Emaar is here once again announcing more "landmarks" that they will put up in the area.
"While we're waiting for the spectacular landmark we once promised you, here's another landmark! Coincidentally, it costs about one percent of cost of the other one. It won't be the only landmark in the area for long, pinky promise! Only until the other one makes economic sense, which should become the case any day now!"

1341 - 1360 of 1392 Posts