SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
Tall building enthusiast
647 Posts
The map shows the KP bridge connecting Riverstage with the KP Cliffs. Surely they didn't place it that far off by accident?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The BCC paperstorm frequently shows line-art with Buses. This worries me as it pre-empts the question: which bridges are intended for PT, and which are pedestrian-only (bikes) instead?

I have a vested interest since I'm in west end, and I am a net beneficiary either way but the congestion issues on Montague rd with through buses rather than terminating buses is a downside: I think most residents (yes, nimby thinking) want pedestrian only not buses but I suspect Shrinner is looking to a PT win, to get over his bottlenecks.

If I was in planning I too would be tempted to look at coro drive, and montague rd, and ask if I can shed some bus congestion into a bigger picture win here.

Bad for me, good for them.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The BCC paperstorm frequently shows line-art with Buses. This worries me as it pre-empts the question: which bridges are intended for PT, and which are pedestrian-only (bikes) instead?

I have a vested interest since I'm in west end, and I am a net beneficiary either way but the congestion issues on Montague rd with through buses rather than terminating buses is a downside: I think most residents (yes, nimby thinking) want pedestrian only not buses but I suspect Shrinner is looking to a PT win, to get over his bottlenecks.

If I was in planning I too would be tempted to look at coro drive, and montague rd, and ask if I can shed some bus congestion into a bigger picture win here.

I also noticed that the Wacol - Bellbowrie, St Lucia - West End, and the Toowong to West End Bridges have all been confirmed to allow buses. This is an interesting development for bus route diversion and reform. It will be good to see the 444 and Centenary services use the Toowong to West End Bridge and have them terminate at South Brisbame Cultural Centre station. People there can transfer to Metro services to the King George Sq.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Buses will become almost silent running and pollution free, as the aim will be for low to zero emissions for future built buses. (Re electric) The extra diverted services will also potentially have the ability to pick up and drop along a chosen corridor through West end. Much needed for the projected high density living arrangements in the area.

Coronation Drive is too congested with buses now running out of timetable order for most of the day.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I thought the new bridge from Bellbowrie was to connect at Riverhills somewhere around the end of Sumners Rd? What would be the point of a new pedestrian bridge to that part of Wacol as isn't that location mainly the youth detention centre?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I thought the new bridge from Bellbowrie was to connect at Riverhills somewhere around the end of Sumners Rd? What would be the point of a new pedestrian bridge to that part of Wacol as isn't that location mainly the youth detention centre?
Apparently a bridge to Riverhills is not suitable. The chosen location is best suitable for a public transport and active (cycling) transport connection to Wacol station. It will also be used in time of flood as an emergency exit point for general vehicles. The Riverhills connection is too low on the Bellbowrie side during flood. Residents will also be able use Wacol Station as an alternative to the 444 7 days a week and 24/7 on weekends. The 444 leaves Moggill every 5 mins from about 5.30am. The bus route is overcrowded and becoming over patronised

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,542 Posts
^^ Surely this bridge would be more attractive if it linked to Sumners Road and ultimately, Darra Station - where the frequency of trains is higher, amenity is better and risk of being attacked is lower. Wacol is an abomination.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
^^ that certainly seems the more logical solution, i guess if the area is prone to flooding it just means significantly larger structures which then blows out the cost.

·
Registered
288 Posts
really hope that the city to kangaroo point bridge will be a really stand out as a art feature for that area in the city to make it a post card moment picture etc..

garden bridge would be epic as it will link the two parks together.. what do you guys think

or having a water feature statement bridge

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really hope that the city to kangaroo point bridge will be a really stand out as a art feature for that area in the city to make it a post card moment picture etc..

garden bridge would be epic as it will link the two parks together.. what do you guys think

or having a water feature statement bridge

That cylindrical water wall feature looks great.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
No offence but I'll stick with the original concept that we've been seeing for ever. Less intrusive on the current vista from KP Cliffs. I could handle the water feature but no garden for me thanks. Money might be a bit of a problem if things get too complicated also.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would love to see a green bridge like that. Would be a great tourist attraction and think would not be as intrusive visually on that Vista and would actually compliment it, especially if it had elements that reflected the cliffs

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Apparently a bridge to Riverhills is not suitable. The chosen location is best suitable for a public transport and active (cycling) transport connection to Wacol station. It will also be used in time of flood as an emergency exit point for general vehicles. The Riverhills connection is too low on the Bellbowrie side during flood. Residents will also be able use Wacol Station as an alternative to the 444 7 days a week and 24/7 on weekends. The 444 leaves Moggill every 5 mins from about 5.30am. The bus route is overcrowded and becoming over patronised
^^ Surely this bridge would be more attractive if it linked to Sumners Road and ultimately, Darra Station - where the frequency of trains is higher, amenity is better and risk of being attacked is lower. Wacol is an abomination.
My understanding is that the alignment to Riverhills was found not to be suitable due to requirements for land acquisitions and insufficient space to widen Sumners Road pas the Riverhills Powerlink substation.

The Grindle Road, Wacol - Weekes Road, Moggill alignment is a far simpler build, while still providing those public and active transport connections to the Ipswich line and potentially cross-town bus routes to the Centenary suburbs, Forest Lake or Browns Plains.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kangaroo Point pedestrian bridge feasibility revealed.

Brisbanetimes----->https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...ble-at-190m-council-says-20190902-p52n7n.html

Kangaroo Point pedestrian bridge feasible at $190m, council says

LUCY STONE SEPTEMBER 02, 2019

The proposed bridge would connect Kangaroo Point to the city, giving pedestrians and cyclists a short-cut.Credit:Richard Kirk Architect

The council’s preferred pathway would connect the bridge from the corner of Alice and Edward streets at the Botanic Gardens across to Scott Street, but an alternative route would angle the bridge further back to connect to Thornton Street.

The proposed bridge would connect Alice and Edward streets and Scott Street or Thornton Street in Kangaroo Point.

Cr Schrinner said the Kangaroo Point bridge would be the first of the five bridges he planned to have built, followed by bridges at Breakfast Creek, West End, St Lucia and Bellbowrie.

“The preliminary business case for the Kangaroo Point Pedestrian Bridge confirms the project is a feasible, value-for-money investment in our transport network,” Cr Schrinner said.

“This new bridge presents a once-in-a-generation opportunity to improve the way people travel within the inner city and the preliminary business case revealed up to 5300 trips would be taken per weekday, which will make it even more popular than the Kurilpa Bridge.”

The council planned to fund two-thirds of the cost and lobby the state and federal governments for contributions to reach the amount needed.

Public and Active Transport chairwoman Krista Adams said the council would begin community consultation in November to receive public feedback on the design and possible locations.

“A bridge linking Kangaroo Point and the CBD was originally proposed in the 1860s but the 1890s' economic recession and the financial devastation from the 1893 floods meant it was never built,” Cr Adams said.

Construction on the bridge could begin in 2021 and be completed in 2024 should approvals and funding be green-lit.

Work on extending the Brisbane Riverwalk along to the Botanic Gardens has already begun, and the planned bridge is expected to connect up to that riverwalk.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kangaroo Point pedestrian bridge feasibility revealed.

Brisbanetimes----->https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...ble-at-190m-council-says-20190902-p52n7n.html
As I read elsewhere a bridge at this location was proposed over 100 years ago. It's great that it's now coming into fruition.

Brisbane surely will be a different place in 2024 with all these new connections.

The Bellbowrie - Wacol pedestrian, cycling and Public Transport bridge should be built next. This will help alleviate congestion along Moggill road and improve crosstown public transport trips to and from that location.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts