SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I question whether a pedestrian bridge around Hamilton/Bulimba would be worth it, its going to cost in excess of $100million and I dont think it will value add to commuters in the area, with most users been recreational users.

If you're going to make it a green bridge with busses, then the costs will double, if not treble almost immediately. At that point, you have to really question whether that $200-$300million could be better spent on PT elsewhere in Brisbane.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think they are still meant to be big enough for vessels of a reasonable size to navigate up river. Of course sea going ships aren't going as far upstream anymore, but I don't think they can build to City Cat only type height yet. It wasn't that long ago the ALP was against the council's KP bridge as being too low for super yachts to get upriver. I'm assuming Di Farmer is talking about a bridge from Bulimba to Newstead. The river is fairly wide there, and if we're talking about a "green" bridge that can take busses as well as pedestrians it's going to have to be pretty big. And take up a bit of space on the approaches too, it's flat-ish around there.

The whole thing is a fantasy anyway and just a grab for votes for an "idea" that they have no intention of fulfilling. It's barely worth our discussing.
and now the super yachts can't get to those moorings there is no point for any vessel of that size to be up there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hasnt some cycling advocacy groups been pushing for crossriver cycling tunnel rather than a bridge for the Bulimba/Teneriffe crossing?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Why? It allows you to cross the river. It isn't ugly like a bridge.
Who said a bridge is ugly? I consider a long, deep underground tunnel pretty bloody ugly personally, if I’m not in Toronto during winter or Sydney CBD during peak hour, i have zero interest in walking through a tunnel.

A tunnel might get someone from point A to B, however a bridge would also serve to let them enjoy the exxperience as well. It would encourage further commuter use and recreational engagement. A pedestrian bridge can also be designed in a way which enriches the area by offering something which is architecturally inspiring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Theoretically could a CityCat clearance bridge be built with a moveable section for the same price as a much taller bridge with longer approaches etc?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Who said a bridge is ugly? I consider a long, deep underground tunnel pretty bloody ugly personally, if I’m not in Toronto during winter or Sydney CBD during peak hour, i have zero interest in walking through a tunnel.

A tunnel might get someone from point A to B, however a bridge would also serve to let them enjoy the exxperience as well. It would encourage further commuter use and recreational engagement. A pedestrian bridge can also be designed in a way which enriches the area by offering something which is architecturally inspiring.
Show me one bridge in brisbane other than the Story Bridge and the walter taylor that isn't ugly. They are ugly concrete monoliths, might be an experience on the bridge but the off bridge experience decreases by a hell of alot.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If I was a pedestrian I wouldn't be too keen on walking through a bloody long tunnel with nothing to see and no fresh air so to speak and I'm pretty sure that would go for most pedestrians.
That's what sort of question it was.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You forgot The William Jolly Bridge. Surely you don't think that is ugly?

In any case I don't reckon any of our bridges are ugly. Kurilpa is unique. Victoria and Captain Cook are sleek. I find nothing wrong with Goodwill or The Gateway. The new Neville Bonner is gonna look great as will the KP. Even the green bridge at the UNI QLD is nice IMO. What have I left out? :LOL: Oh...The Centenary /Jubilee or whatever it is called. Again nothing too unsightly about that.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Walter Taylor at Indooroopilly and the Merivale are lovely too. I’m with you, I think all our bridges are lookers🤗
Brisbane bridges are mostly pretty good. The worst being the Goodwill bridge in my opinion, just feel like it aged quickly and not particularly great. It’s not horrible though. Just give me classic lines any day. Which is why I don’t mind the new kangaroo point bridge concept it has a nice elegant feel to it. And Victoria bridge is modern clean magic. William jolly and Walter taylor bridges are both classically beautiful.

Despite having said that, I actually love the Kurilpa footbridge, one of my all time favourite bridges.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Show me one bridge in brisbane other than the Story Bridge and the walter taylor that isn't ugly. They are ugly concrete monoliths, might be an experience on the bridge but the off bridge experience decreases by a hell of alot.

i think all of Brisbane’s pedestrian bridges are quiet nice, especially the new ones getting built. Just because you hold the opinion that the bridges are ugly, doesn’t mean others do.

ive seen nothing which suggests a tunnel is any cheaper or more practical, i honestly don’t know why it keeps getting brought up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Newcastle (UK) has a pedestrian/cyclist tunnel but that has a length of 270m. The section between Bulimba and Teneriffe is measured at approximately 450m on google maps

In regards to bridges in Brisbane, most of the bridges are good looking but none of them stands out like the Story Bridge

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I've walked under the Thames river in London, in the Greenwich Foot Tunnel (370 m). London used to have a few foot tunnels, but as nearby bridges were built they apparently dropped in popularity and were converted to other uses, utilities, etc.

It was a slightly odd experience, it is a long narrow tube. I can see why people prefer a bridge, even if you might get rained on.

PS - cycling is banned in the tunnel.

201 - 220 of 285 Posts