SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 240 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
I still hold out hope for a bus bridge at Bulimba connecting Oxford St - the bus network connectivity options would be superb.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How does one access the new Mercedes-Benz building precinct from Newstead Park/the other side of KSD? It looks like there is no connection under the existing bridge from that video. If that's the case, it must be pretty isolated from general foot traffic.
From memory, there are existing underpasses under the existing Breakfast Creek Road on both sides of the creek. Whether the construction of this bridge may mean the removal of the existing underpass is hard to tell

·
23,969 Posts
Correct, and it looks like both remains.

Alternatively, you could cross under BCR on the northern side and cross with the footpath along the western side of BKR.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Who the hell is walking to Mercedes?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Who the hell is walking to Mercedes?
^
Yup, it's not just a dealership. A bakery (MICA Brasserie) has opened at the centre and there is always a line on the weekend. According to a website I found online, there will be other restaurants and cafes opened there and the rooftop will be opened for function hire.

(Drive into the future – Mercedes-Benz Brisbane debuts its brand-new riverside lifestyle precinct)

Google map actually has photos of the underpass, I hope they renovate that, it looks absolute crap at the moment

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Google map actually has photos of the underpass, I hope they renovate that, it looks absolute crap at the moment
Yeah, I used to live across the Creek (next to the Breaky Creek Hotel) and I can attest that the underpass has been terrible for years and the issues are numerous: Bad lighting, drainage issues, leaf litter, no CCTV, and poor CPTED with blind corners, hidden sight lines, concealment spaces and entrapment possibilities.

Now I'm not really much of a fighter, but I kind of look like I could be, and I used to sometimes avoid that underpass.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
My Village News--->New bridge necessary

Consultation on Brisbane City Council’s proposed green bridge over Breakfast Creek from Kingsford Smith Drive to Newstead Park has consistently raised one point of confusion. Hamilton Ward Councillor David McLachlan said residents had regularly asked why there was a need for a new bridge when there was already a bridge across the creek with pedestrian access. He said they wanted to know why the existing bridge could not be upgraded. "And I completely understand that question,” he said.Cr McLachlan said the answer was that the bridge, built as part of the Inner City Bypass in the early 2000s, was not compliant with the Disability and Discrimination Act. He said the upward slope on the Albion side of the bridge was so steep that wheelchair users could not use it without being pushed. Cr McLachlan said the width of the bridge and the boardwalk section leading up to it was also too narrow compared with the newly completed Lores Bonney Riverwalk along Kingsford Smith Drive, and created a bottleneck on the cycling and pedestrian network McLachlan said more than 600,000 people had used the Riverwalk, which runs along Kingsford Smith Drive, since it opened. Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said 2200 people had their say on the design and proposed landing points of the planned Breakfast Creek and Kangaroo Point green bridges. He said the responses had confirmed Brisbane City Council was on the right track, and there would now be detailed analysis of the consultation's Schrinner said the council expected the final outcomes of the consultation sessions by November, when they would also shortlist tenders for the two bridges. "These two bridges are being fast-tracked as they’re major job drivers, employing more than 500people, and the opportunities for the construction industry and suppliers will help Brisbane recover from the brutal economic hit of the coronavirus,” he said. "Every day we get one step closer to finalising the designs and being ready to kickstart construction in 2021, subject to approvals.”
By Ellen-Maree Elliott

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
Looks like pretty minor equipment so probably just testing for the bridge.

Reactions: LeSnakk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Community consultation for the Toowong to West End Green Bridge and St Lucia to West End Green Bridge has now opened.

·
23,969 Posts
Option B for the Toowong Bridge I like the most as it aligns with the bridge to the station.

Option B for the St. Lucia Bridge as I feel it needs a tight alignment with UQ and Boundary Street is a good feeder in the north.

221 - 240 of 285 Posts