SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
The Boss
1,379 Posts
Interesting design... I'd like to see some interior renders for this.

·
Registered Abuser
7,195 Posts
I am not understanding this, I have saw three diffrent designs for this on this thread, which one is being built. And when will construction start, Oh God Dubailand Forums is very confusing, each thread should have at the end of it the status of the proposal.

Anyway from the designs I have seen so far I do not like the cheap one with the red domed base, the other two look preety cool, esspecially the most recent one. My jaw dropped when I saw that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

·
Registered Abuser
7,195 Posts
Thats stunning, never seen anything like it ever

·
Perfect Player
1,460 Posts
... with many other projects and Dubailand opening in 2010. I think we all know how will that date turn out...

·
Student ROC Bouwkunde
365 Posts
Wauw, Designed by the dutch, i think, if it is going to be build, i really want to stay a few days there! :p

Nice Pictures!

·
Registered
44 Posts
oh this got bumped...

Well I would say it looks like a giant ball bearing, sorry, roller-bearing.

The view from the cabins is pretty much obstructed by the trusses and beams etc. in every direction. People will cram to the side windows th catch a glimps. Cannot be a real joy to ride it.

View fail big time ....

·
Ruff 'n' Ready
3,746 Posts
well...if this IS true...then it mite be good...cuz Dubailand NOW...wuld not be the best place for it...somewhere along the creek wuld be MUCH MUCH better!

Dubai’s answer to London Eye scrapped, search on for stand-in

By Shane McGinley
Thursday, 5 January 2012 8:22 AM

The $68m wheel was intended to be taller than the London Eye

Dubailand, the stalled real estate and tourism resort, has ditched plans to build a 185m Ferris wheel set to rival the London Eye in the latest setback to the troubled multibillion-dollar project.

The Great Dubai Wheel, an AED250m ($68m) observation wheel, was set to be a leading tourist attraction within Dubailand’s Arjan development, but was scrapped amid a wider revamp of the project.

“Originally the brochure said it was included,” said Ashok Galgotia, CEO of Triveni Builders and Promoters, the subcontractors that last week handed over the first units at Arjan.

“But we were told [the Great Dubai Wheel] would not be coming and it would be something else. They are negotiating [to find a replacement] attraction.”
Click here to find out more!

A planned open-air amphitheatre in the development was also unlikely to go ahead, he added.

Dubailand was one of the Gulf emirate’s most ambitious developments, backed by Dubai Properties Group and announced at the height of the real estate bubble. The resort was originally to be twice the size of Walt Disney World, and was reportedly worth AED335bn at its peak.

The project involved dozens of developers and sub-developers and was to feature seven themed areas, residential developments and what was planned to be the world’s largest shopping centre in Mall of Arabia.

But the development was placed on hold after the financial crisis triggered the collapse of Dubai’s real estate market in late-2008, wiping more than 60 percent off the value of homes.

DPG said in October it was in talks to renegotiate four projects in the mega-resort, which once boasted tie-ups with Universal Studios and Legoland, and expected to announce the new deals in the second or third quarter of 2012.

“We are in discussions with the others that have struggled during the crisis and that struggle was mostly related to the financial problems,” Khalid Al Malik, CEO of DPG, told Arabian Business.

“Now we are actually in serious negotiations to bring them back and assist… these projects to come back.”

The Great Dubai Wheel was given the green light in 2006, and was originally designed to include 30 transparent capsules offering views of up to 50km across Dubai.

The tourist attraction was to have been developed by the Great Wheel Corporation, a Singapore-based company with projects underway in Beijing, Orlando and Berlin.

The company no longer includes details of the Dubai wheel on its website, showing only a link dated 2007 that states ‘Dubai in progress’.

Business Monitor International in May 2011 warned that Dubailand should be scaled down significantly in order to fit in with the “harsh realities” of the emirate’s beleaguered real estate market.

“With….demand for new projects still weak, we believe a significant scaling down of Dubailand's ambitions is needed if it is to fit the economic realities facing Dubai in 2011,” the consultancy said.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-s-answer-london-eye-scrapped-search-on-for-stand-in-438572.html

R

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
^^ I think that Dubailand should be built on the Palm Jebel Ali, which will make it more of a unique destination, rather than a theme park in the desert.... Also, the Palm Jebel Ali could have it's own runway/terminal for Dubailand.

With regards to the "Dubai Eye", I always thought Dubailand was the wrong place for it. What are people expected to look at when they get to the top?? A much better location would be wither along the Creek somewhere, or perhaps somewhere along Jumeirah Beach, in either Jumeirah 1 or 2. Alternatively, if Dubailand were moved to the Palm Jebel Ali, the crecent there would make for an excellent location :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^ I think that Dubailand should be built on the Palm Jebel Ali, which will make it more of a unique destination, rather than a theme park in the desert.... Also, the Palm Jebel Ali could have it's own runway/terminal for Dubailand.

With regards to the "Dubai Eye", I always thought Dubailand was the wrong place for it. What are people expected to look at when they get to the top?? A much better location would be wither along the Creek somewhere, or perhaps somewhere along Jumeirah Beach, in either Jumeirah 1 or 2. Alternatively, if Dubailand were moved to the Palm Jebel Ali, the crecent there would make for an excellent location :)
I would agree with the Dubai Guys that the "Great Dubai Wheel" would be better situated on or near the Creek. Better views from there and also as it would be seen from the airport it would give a great first impression of Dubai.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
^^ I second that idea! :cheers:

·
Ruff 'n' Ready
3,746 Posts
this culd EASILY go on seef street! PLENTY of space to put it there and have a car park as well...it wuld give that area a MUCH needed boost in terms of attracting MORE ppl...

R

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^^^

As this is now definitely not going to be built in DubaiLand, it is availalble to be built elsewhere. So, all it needs is the financial backing and a decision on the best location!

Any takers?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Given the queues generated by things like the London Eye itself and 'At The Top', this would be an excellent addition to Dubai's list of attractions. I think Seef Street is the best place for it :)

81 - 100 of 105 Posts